Raytheon ST 4000 Plus

  • sailormike90
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2010
      After disengaging the clutch of the autopilot the steering froze. I disconnected the gear mechanism from the wheel it was still froze. It took a good amount of force to turn the wheel. When I removed the wheel drive actuator the steering wheel controlled the rudder with ease. I tried opening the wheel actuator to see if there was a belt or something that could be replaced. There is one nylon lock nut that keeps turning; so I never got it opened. I went online and I can get the wheel actuator alone for under $500. Does anyone have any experience with this?

      S-28,
      RESOLUTE
      Mike
    • Bruce Heyman
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2010

        Mike,

        I had the same problem with the ST 4000 (didn’t have the plus).  The problem was that a very small steel spring pin the connected the actuating lever to the shaft and eccentric wheel sheared off. This meant that the belt was held tight.  It happened while at sea but thankfully I was able to disassemble the two halves of the wheel control and fix it by sliding the remaining part of the steel spring pin so that it would engage both the shaft and the eccentric wheel. It is still working five years later.  The hardest part was carefully prying the two halves of the control wheel apart.  There were no fittings just had to carefully pry them apart as it was the wheels that seem to hold it all together.

        Bruce