Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Lewmar 40 st question

  • Bill Blalock
    Message 1 of 17 , May 3, 2010
    Doug,

    I think I've attached the ST-40 diagram to this email.  If it doesn't come through I'll send it to you directly.

    Bill B

    On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 9:27 AM, dougblewitt <dougblewitt@...> wrote:

    All:
    I have taken my Lewmar 40 st winches apart to re-grease them and when I
    reassemble them the drum assembly is slightly too high so the collet
    will not easily fit into the slit on the winch body. If I remove the
    bottom washer it will fit. Obviously, I am doing something wrong and
    some part is not seated correctly? Does any one have any suggestions?

    Doug Blewitt
    Sabre 28 #474

  • barend27
    Message 2 of 17 , May 3, 2010
      Hi Doug:

      You are doing nothing wrong. I had the same issue when I serviced my Lewmar's. From memory, I think the way to do it is to pull the area where the winch handle goes in up, instead of trying to push the drum down.

      It has been 2 years, but I think that is what I did.

      Regards
      //Barend

      Message 3 of 17 , May 3, 2010
        Barend -
        Thanks for jogging my memory - I remembered there was a simple trick, but not what it was - that's it!  I just stuck a finger in the socket for the handle and pulled up.
        Also, never grease the pawls - they will end up sticking.  The best oil for pawls that I have found is a synthetic gun oil, like Royal Purple or G96 CLP.  They are salt water resistant, tenacious and will never gum.  Easy to pick some up when you buy ammo for your anti-piracy kit :)
        Pete

        On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 1:24 PM, barend27 <barendb@...> wrote:

        Hi Doug:

        You are doing nothing wrong. I had the same issue when I serviced my Lewmar's. From memory, I think the way to do it is to pull the area where the winch handle goes in up, instead of trying to push the drum down.

        It has been 2 years, but I think that is what I did.

        Regards
        //Barend

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, dougblewitt <dougblewitt@...> wrote:

        > Carter:
        > I have the older type with the screws on top.
        > Doug
        >
        > Carter Brey wrote:
        > >
        > > Doug,
        > >
        > > Do you have the older model with four screws on the black top cap, or
        > > the new model with a spin-on top?
        > >
        > > Carter
        > >

        > > On May 3, 2010, at 9:27 AM, dougblewitt <dougblewitt@...
        > > <mailto:dougblewitt@...>> wrote:
        > >

        > >> All:
        > >> I have taken my Lewmar 40 st winches apart to re-grease them and when I
        > >> reassemble them the drum assembly is slightly too high so the collet
        > >> will not easily fit into the slit on the winch body. If I remove the
        > >> bottom washer it will fit. Obviously, I am doing something wrong and
        > >> some part is not seated correctly? Does any one have any suggestions?
        > >>
        > >> Doug Blewitt
        > >> Sabre 28 #474

      • Carter Brey
        Message 4 of 17 , May 3, 2010
          Yes-- put a slightly hooked finger in the center spindle and lift a bit.

          If your finger gets stuck, call us. We'll send beer and an ambulance, not necesssarily in that order.

          Carter Brey
          S28 mkII Delphine
          City Island, NY