whale gusher foot pump

  • Brooks Wright
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2010
      Went to pull out the foot pump under the galley sink and decided to seek help first. It's been sluggish and just wanted to take a look at it. After looking at a picture of it in a catalogue it appears that all four feet are screwed down. Any secrets to getting it out since there's no access to the side of the pump that's against the bulkhead?

      Brooks Wright
      1978 S34 MkI

      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2010
        Brooks,

        Did you check the filter on the outlet tot to the water tank?  Had a similar problem with the foot pump, pulled the hose from the tank and there is a filter screen in the outlet, it was clogged. A much shorter and easier repair.

        Now if some one has some ideas about removing the foot pump in the head, I'd be open to hearing them.

        Dave
        S30 # 52 Identity Crisis
        Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

        On May 1, 2010, at 7:31 AM, Brooks Wright wrote:

        Went to pull out the foot pump under the galley sink and decided to seek help first. It's been sluggish and just wanted to take a look at it. After looking at a picture of it in a catalogue it appears that all four feet are screwed down. Any secrets to getting it out since there's no access to the side of the pump that's against the bulkhead?

        Brooks Wright
        1978 S34 MkI

      • Carter Brey
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2010
          Dave,

          I've removed and rebuilt my head foot pump twice. The only way I could get those lag bolts out was to use a small open-ended wrench and lots of patience.

          Carter Brey
          S28 Delphine
          City Island, NY

[...]

        • Bill Blalock

            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2010
              The sluggishness is the actual foot lever itself. It pushes down but doesn't want to spring back up. Actual water flow is fine. The block that the pump is sitting on looks like it is glued to the hull. Have to check that again. My difficulty is in getting to the two feet against the bulkhead.

              BTW I recently had to replace the 3-way valve for switching tanks. Moeller had one that was close but not quite right but they are only wholesale so told me to go to The Evil Empir. Not only was it priced reasonably but it was the exact same valve that I was replacing. I think they bought the old stock from Tempo that Moeller acquired. Might want to go get one before they disappear as Moeller doesn't make an equivalent valve anymore.

              Thanks for your help

              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2010
                I had the same problem with my galley foot pump and it turned out to be a kinked water line feeding the pump.  Check that out.  The turn from running down the starboard side to the pump is tight, especially with the loop Sabre put in it.  The kink was not obvious but once I saw it and fixed it, the water gushed.

                If you do want to remove the pump from the block, use a stubby screwdriver.  You only need to remove two screws as the base of the pump has screw slots, not holes.  It makes refitting the pump easier.  But again, check for kinks first.
                Gib Metcalf
                Troubadour S28-446
                Salem, Ma

                • mnthomas46@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1, 2010
                    On our 1987 34II the head's Whale pump can be removed by removing the two outer bolts and then sliding the closer two feet out from under the bolts. The feet are slotted to enable this. In our boat the fasteners are bolts with washers and a nut. It has proven impossible for me to get a wrench on the nuts but fortunately the nuts grab the plywood shelf well enough to allow tightening the bolts without holding the nut.I am familiar with this routine because the pump must be removed to allow servicing of the seacock.

                    Martin