Re: [SabreSailboat] Portlight glazing

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2010
      My 1981 30 has tempered glass. While you can see out easily, at night with the lights on, everyone on the dock can see in easily. That's why we have curtains.

      Dave

      On Apr 3, 2010, at 8:59 AM, Harry wrote:

      My '79 S34-I has "plastic" (acrylic?  polycarobonate? ) that is very heavily crazed.  Like Jim, every time I look out I too am "astonished."  Perhaps "shocked" or "appalled" might be better terms...

      Anyway, the construction in this vintange is a removable aluminum frame, that splits a the ends into two halves with the lens sandwitched in the middle.  That makes it easy to insert any filler material that is the same thickness.  Mine leak, probably a combination of aged (non-butyl) bedding, and aged gaskets.  The good news is that there is no balsa in that area, and so the leak is more on the "irritation" end of the spectrum.  It also means that there is no intermediate task (repairing core) between removal and reinstallation.

      Fixing my window leaks is on the "moderate horizon," and if they are out replacing the glass makes sense.  With these comments, replacing it with GLASS makes a lot of sense!

      Oh, as a note, they can also drill holes up to 1", if you need it.  The fact that you can buy small, custom pieces of tempered glass just never even occurred to me!

      Harry

      On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 12:37 AM, Daniel Trainor <dptrainor@gmail. com> wrote:

      My Sabre 32 is fitted with Glass in main cabin.  Clarity (with a dab of windex)

      On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Jim Starkey <jstarkey@nimbusdb. com> wrote:

      My current boat has glass (presumably tempered) port lights. Every time
      I look out and see a clear view of the outside world, I'm astonished.

      I have no idea whether tempered glass is adaptable to a Sabre, but it is
      certainly worth checking out.

      Harry wrote:
      > I'm on an Irwin group (I'm not sure I should admit that...), and there
      > was a discussion about glazing -- Lexan, Plexiglass, and tempered
      > glass.
      >
      > Curious, I did a quick little search. This company (just the first
      > one Google listed)
      > www.onedayglass. com
      > will make custom pieces of tempered glass. I guessed at my
      > measurements (I assumed 6x35) and it seems each of our lenses are
      > under their per-piece minimum -- my fixed 4x14, and my main cabin
      > lights were both $28 each, plus shipping. I assumed 3/16" thick, 1"
      > corner radius. They make a variety of tints, and the one tint I tried
      > didn't change the price.
      >
      > Shipping for the two pieces I entered was $25 to Annapolis.
      >
      > At $28 each, especially for the main cabin, that is an intriguing
      > alternative to anything plastic. I frankly did not think it was
      > remotely feasible for a one-off order like that. Something to keep in
      > mind!
      >
      > Harry
      > Rantum Scoot
      > '79 S34-I #063