Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Is everyone safe up in the NE?

  • Carter Brey
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2010
      I turned a sow's ear into a silk purse; during the worst of the rain I did inside installation work on Delphine (the head reconfiguration, installation of New Providence external tank sensors and control panel) and was able finally to see where all my cabin leaks were. I counted three: the overhead Bomar hatch (classic, very slow), one fixed port (even slower) and the portside scupper tube (another Sabre classic, this one voluminous enough to be dripping off the VHF and shorting out the stereo, depriving me of WNYC while I worked).

      Tomorrow heralds a string of sunny days. That means completion of anchor roller installation and, with the assistance of certain elves, a leg up on taking all the exterior brightwork down to bare teak. There are two heat guns ready to go.

      Anchor roller installation has followed my usual pattern, i.e. the instant I lift a tool things go massively awry. After two years of trying to get the starboard aluminum chock off the stemhead casting with PB Blaster, heat and impact screwdriver, I finally lost patience and drilled out the frozen screws. That'll teach 'em.

      Trying to shape a piece of Starboard to fill the weirdly-shaped trough in the stemhead to support the rear end of the roller took me most of this afternoon and called on most of my nonexistent sculpture skills. Fastener holes sunk through two inches of aluminum casting, FRP deck and aluminum backing plate turned out to be too close to other fasteners or too far outboard to allow washers and nuts. My three 3/8" hex bolts turned out to be a half inch too short. Working inverted with my head inside the anchor locker and my spine bent backward has sent me to the Advil bottle.

      Just another day in the boat yard.

      Carter
      S28 MkII Delphine
      City Island, NY

      On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 14:33 +0000, vanbeckump wrote:

      Jan,

      I haven't been down to my boat yet! My winter marina stores the sailboats down near the Connecticut River where it might flood a foot or so. One year my ladder floated away. The power boats are all up the hill.

      Peter

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "workshoe99" <workshoe99@...> wrote:

      > I saw films of a lot of flooding this morning. I hope no one's boat floats off the stands for an early launch. I'd love to come up there sometime and meet some of you but I don't want to have to do it while working for FEMA.
      >
      > All the best to everyone,
      > Jan S38 Mk I "Capriccio"
      >
      > On the beach in New Orleans

    • Ken Young
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
        Only the names (of those of us who share your talents as boatwrights) have been changed to protect the innocent.

        Houdini

        I turned a sow's ear into a silk purse; during the worst of the rain I did inside installation work on Delphine (the head reconfiguration, installation of New Providence external tank sensors and control panel) and was able finally to see where all my cabin leaks were. I counted three: the overhead Bomar hatch (classic, very slow), one fixed port (even slower) and the portside scupper tube (another Sabre classic, this one voluminous enough to be dripping off the VHF and shorting out the stereo, depriving me of WNYC while I worked).

        Tomorrow heralds a string of sunny days. That means completion of anchor roller installation and, with the assistance of certain elves, a leg up on taking all the exterior brightwork down to bare teak. There are two heat guns ready to go.

        Anchor roller installation has followed my usual pattern, i.e. the instant I lift a tool things go massively awry. After two years of trying to get the starboard aluminum chock off the stemhead casting with PB Blaster, heat and impact screwdriver, I finally lost patience and drilled out the frozen screws. That'll teach 'em.

        Trying to shape a piece of Starboard to fill the weirdly-shaped trough in the stemhead to support the rear end of the roller took me most of this afternoon and called on most of my nonexistent sculpture skills. Fastener holes sunk through two inches of aluminum casting, FRP deck and aluminum backing plate turned out to be too close to other fasteners or too far outboard to allow washers and nuts. My three 3/8" hex bolts turned out to be a half inch too short. Working inverted with my head inside the anchor locker and my spine bent backward has sent me to the Advil bottle.

        Just another day in the boat yard.

        Carter
        S28 MkII Delphine
        City Island, NY

        On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 14:33 +0000, vanbeckump wrote:

        Jan,

        I haven't been down to my boat yet! My winter marina stores the sailboats down near the Connecticut River where it might flood a foot or so. One year my ladder floated away. The power boats are all up the hill.

        Peter

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "workshoe99" <workshoe99@. ..> wrote:

        > I saw films of a lot of flooding this morning. I hope no one's boat floats off the stands for an early launch. I'd love to come up there sometime and meet some of you but I don't want to have to do it while working for FEMA.
        >
        > All the best to everyone,
        > Jan S38 Mk I "Capriccio"
        >
        > On the beach in New Orleans

      • Stephen
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Carter Brey <carter.brey@...> wrote:

          > Tomorrow heralds a string of sunny days. That means completion of anchor
          > roller installation and, with the assistance of certain elves, a leg up
          > on taking all the exterior brightwork down to bare teak. There are two
          > heat guns ready to go.

          Elves? You have elves? I need elves. What's your source!? Does Defender have elves?

          My in house elves are too small to be useful and Ms. Elf doesn't do windows (or brightwork).
          Though she *is* headed to J-school.

          Stephen Burns
          Niña S30 #37
          Noank CT
        • yaf001
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010

            I think all of Defender’s local elves are busy helping with our cellar cleanups in this postdiluvian epoch!

            If I had had a cast iron sump pump on my old wooden  Hinckley like the one doing yeoman duty in my colonial era cellar yesterday and today, I would never have had to caulk the seams, or rewood the garboards J

            Yves

            Alphee S34 Mk II #282 (1986)

            Stonington, CT (yes, Stonington, the bull’s eye of this latest flood)

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2010
              Stephen,

              Well, actually, the particular elf in question was a 40-year-old jazz pianist with a USCG six-pack licence.

              I did make him remove his pointy green hat before starting work.

              CB

              On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 13:34 +0000, Stephen wrote:
              Elves? You have elves? I need elves. What's your source!? Does Defender have elves?

              My in house elves are too small to be useful and Ms. Elf doesn't do windows (or brightwork).
              Though she *is* headed to J-school.

              Stephen Burns
              Niña S30 #37
              Noank CT

            • mystic_camera
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6, 2010
                Hi Jan,
                You are always welcome in mystic... i have plenty of varnishing to do!..lol

                the boat is ok though had to ride through flooded streets to see it.. At home after one solid week of work my basement is finally dry...

                checkout this.. at old mystic
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2HZJSWXA5Q