Afloat!

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 26, 2010
      Solace is back in the water - a new record for early launch.  Floating on her lines, dry bilges, the world is looking bright. Tough decision this weekend - yard work or boat work? Let me ponder....
      Pete
    • vanbeckump
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 26, 2010
        Don't worry, the yard will be waiting for you come autumn.

        Peter

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

        > Solace is back in the water - a new record for early launch. Floating on
        > her lines, dry bilges, the world is looking bright. Tough decision this
        > weekend - yard work or boat work? Let me ponder....
        > Pete

      • John Coffey
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 26, 2010
          I got my boat in  the Chesapeake this early a few years back. Enjoy, but beware of a ton of growth by early June.
          Boat Drinks!

          JC

          Solace is back in the water - a new record for early launch.  Floating on her lines, dry bilges, the world is looking bright. Tough decision this weekend - yard work or boat work? Let me ponder....
          Pete

        • Daniel Trainor
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 30, 2010
            Pete - This is Great!  Celebrate by doing nothing - or - go to a movie.  Your in! - Dan

            On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

            Solace is back in the water - a new record for early launch.  Floating on her lines, dry bilges, the world is looking bright. Tough decision this weekend - yard work or boat work? Let me ponder....

            Dan

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2011
              Identity Crisis splashed today. Wednesday the mast goes up. It's been a long spring. Love the new gelcoat.

              Dave

              DSC_0284.JPG

              DSC_0289.JPG

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2011
                Cool! A lot sooner than I was thinking it would be. Hope the job meets expectations!

                Harry

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 2, 2011

                    Looks beautiful!

                    Barry

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 3, 2011
                      Pete,

                      They launched the boat before I got to see the bottom. The keel was dropped, rebedded, and the famous Sabre Smile eliminated. Then they took the bottom down to gel coat and put a couple of coats of 2000 on it. I'll have to wait to fall to see that work. Now the deck looks like, well, pretty old and in need of work. As we left the marina, the yard owner mentioned that they do decks too. He mentioned something about a mast falling.

                      Bringing her back mastless yesterday, I kept getting strange looks from passing boats (a couple of them Sabres), "Honey, I think we forgot something at the dock."

                      Mast goes up Wednesday.

                      Dave

                      On Jul 1, 2011, at 11:22 PM, Peter Tollini wrote:

                      Dave -
                      She looks great! I hope the unseen in the picture is as good and you are back on the water soon, sails up and happy.
                      Pete

                      On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 9:16 PM, Dave Lochner <davelochner@...> wrote:
                      Identity Crisis splashed today. Wednesday the mast goes up. It's been a long spring. Love the new gelcoat.

                      Dave

                      <DSC_0284.jpg>

                      DSC_0284.JPG

                      <DSC_0289.jpg>
                      DSC_0289.JPG

                    • Randy Drummond
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 3, 2011
                        Dave,
                        If I missed this on the thread I apologize. Do I understand that you had new gel coat put on your entire top sides or was there just a repair done to one area.
                        Randy

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 3, 2011
                          Randy,

                          Last February my boat fell off of its jackstands. It was ugly.  Photos here:  gallery.me.com/davelochner, my boat is the one with the Fairclough Cover.

                          There was a large area amidships at the waterline that had a number of cracks and it dislodged the furniture inside. A few other holes in the hull and in one place the jacstand screw was imbedded. The keel joint was also cracked. Apparently when they loosened the keelbolts and raised the boat, the keel was separated from the hull.

                          Because of the work on the keel and the hull, it was necessary to do a complete bottom job and the port side needed to be regelled. I paid for the other side, the yard was fair and gave me a good price.

                          When I first saw her in the water, I was most surprised at how high the waterline was, a good 4-5 inches higher than I remembered. Of course, no mast, no sails, no hordes of good stuff in all the lockers. I should probably race it this year, it will never be lighter than it is now!

                          Dave

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 3, 2011
                            Dave,
                            Thanks for the update and pictures. I'm so sorry for the trauma but congratulations on the progress. I wish you a great season.
                            Randy

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 3, 2011

                              Dave, what was the conditon of the keel bolts when they dropped the keel?
                              Bill B

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 3, 2011
                                Bill,

                                Didn't think to ask. The yard was not near me, so I couldn't just drop by from time to time. Identity Crisis has lived her life in freshwater, so corrosion has not been an issue anywhere on the boat.

                                Dave