Diesel tank -- S34-I

    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 15, 2010
      Well, I was down at the boat tonight, and looked in the bilge. The "water" was red. Uh oh. I've shut down the bilge pump, so no environmental issues, but now I have to figure out where it's coming from. The fuel tank platform has an drain hole in it, and I put a paper towel in the hole -- and it has become wet and red. No evidence of leaks around the fittings on the top of the tank. I'm afraid that means that it is coming through what once was solid aluminum.

      Tomorrow, I'll be pumping the tank dry into 5-gal jugs, so I'll be "stable." While it is certainly a critical issue, the repair won't be job #1, as I have too many that are higher on the list. But it will need to be fixed before I can get underway!

      I figure I'll have to pull the tank and inspect, but I assume it will have to be scrapped.

      Two questions:
      1) Any suggestions on likely easy fixes? (a guy can hope, can't he?)
      2) Any suggestions on replacements? I tried a search, but the Yahoo search is just about worthless now.

      (boat and location to remain nameless....)
    • Leonard Bertaux
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 16, 2010
        Email Glen at Sabre. He provided shop drawings and manufacturer information for my S38 fuel tank.

        Leonard Bertaux

        Sent from my iPhone,

[...]

      • yaf001
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 16, 2010

          Hi Harry,

          A couple of years ago I had to replace the tank in my 34 mkII. Glen at Sabre has all the info on the aluminum fabricator that made (and makes) the tanks. They’re in Florida I believe. As long as I had to do a new tank,  I wanted to go from 20 to 30 gallons and Glen confirmed the later 34 Mk II’s were made with the larger tank. Yes, it fit! And all worked fine. I don’t recall the exact price but it was not expensive. The fabricator basically could do anything per the original specs.

          Glen’s the Man!

          Yves

          Alphee

          S34 Mk II #282 (1986)

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 16, 2010
              Had a leaking fuel tank on my S42. Inspection after draining and a pulling the tank showed pin hole crevices at teh aft corners where it had sat in water due to poor maint n by PO. I had it welded and then I coated it with epoxy where at the end where it might possibly touch water (altho I don't intend to ignore keeping my bilge pump working...)

              No problems 5 yrs later.

              Richard
              s/v Escape 1988 S42
              Edgewater MD

              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 22, 2010
                Well, I have the tank pumped out and the bilge cleaned out, but I haven't removed the tank yet. I can still hope it's an obvious and easy fix, but I somehow doubt it.

                I've started researching replacement. Glen has sent me the original drawings, which are a terrific help. The tank is made by Mirax, still in business, can make the tank and ship it, complete with level sender, for around $300 total. While it is a direct replacement, it is still an aluminum tank, with a questionable (and from what I hear highly variable) life expectancy. Still, $300 and a day's labor is hard to say "no" to.

                But, plastic is so much better. Can realistically outlive the boat, and the translucent material provides a bit of insight into what is inside the tank. Moeller makes a tank that is essentially identical in size, delivered (with a new sender as well) for around $175. Hard to say "no" to a tank that is arguably better, for 40% less cost.

                Here's the problem. Moeller, who appears to be the only one who makes a plastic tank that fits, has recently changed their molding process. Their current tanks use an aluminum fill pipe that is integrally cast into the tank, and points straight up. I have limited room above the tank, and the fill line immediately goes sideways. I don't think I can (or want to) do that to my fill line. So this problem, if I can't solve it, kills the deal.

                So, has anyone actually held a Moeller tank? Any thoughts about how to make a 90 degree turn at the fill? Does someone make a "street ell" for 1.5" hose (a hose on one side to go on the barb, a barb on the other to go to the fill hose)? Could I plug the fill and cut in a new fitting without making a disaster (it is done on holding tanks with some success).

                Moeller has basically said, "hmm... nope, we don't do that."

                Any thoughts?

                Harry

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "sailor11767" <HarryK@...> wrote:

                > Well, I was down at the boat tonight, and looked in the bilge. The "water" was red. Uh oh. I've shut down the bilge pump, so no environmental issues, but now I have to figure out where it's coming from. The fuel tank platform has an drain hole in it, and I put a paper towel in the hole -- and it has become wet and red. No evidence of leaks around the fittings on the top of the tank. I'm afraid that means that it is coming through what once was solid aluminum.
                >
                > Tomorrow, I'll be pumping the tank dry into 5-gal jugs, so I'll be "stable." While it is certainly a critical issue, the repair won't be job #1, as I have too many that are higher on the list. But it will need to be fixed before I can get underway!
                >
                > I figure I'll have to pull the tank and inspect, but I assume it will have to be scrapped.
                >
                > Two questions:
                > 1) Any suggestions on likely easy fixes? (a guy can hope, can't he?)
                > 2) Any suggestions on replacements? I tried a search, but the Yahoo search is just about worthless now.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Harry
                > (boat and location to remain nameless....)

              • GRAHAM BROADHURST
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 22, 2010
                  I dotn understand the 90 degree fill.
                  Mine fills though the cockpit floor and straight down in to the tank.
                  I have a stick to measure how full it is
                  Graham s34 Fearless

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 22, 2010
                    Interesting. That is how my parent's boat was done too. Mine takes a right angle, runs up under the cockpit combing, and the deck plate is up in the waterway right near the toerail.

                    It would be a lot less hose (it needs replacement anyway -- my surveyor didn't like the letters on the side of the hose) if I moved it. A bit of work, but perhaps not a bad idea. With a bright flashlight and a near empty tank, I bet you can see down in there like a doctor with a tongue depressor.

                    Harry

                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, GRAHAM BROADHURST <doversabre@...> wrote:

                    > Harry
                    > I dotn understand the 90 degree fill.
                    > Mine fills though the cockpit floor and straight down in to the tank.
                    > I have a stick to measure how full it is
                    > Graham s34 Fearless

                  • josrulz_2001
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 22, 2010
                      Hi Harry,
                      For what it's worth, our S34-I has a 5 year old aluminum tank in it.  I would not have replaced it with aluminum, but the previous owner did, so there it is for now.  If I were doing this project now myself, I would go with the appropriate plastic, and if there was room, I'd probably increase the capacity a little (not sure if there is room though).

                      I believe there are a number of custom tank fabricators around.  I did a Google search for custom marine fuel tanks, and found several hits.  Might be worth checking out?

                      Cheers,
                      Jim

                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 22, 2010
                        It sure is accessible.  Also very easy to see how full it is.
                        Graham

                        Interesting. That is how my parent's boat was done too. Mine takes a right angle, runs up under the cockpit combing, and the deck plate is up in the waterway right near the toerail.

                        It would be a lot less hose (it needs replacement anyway -- my surveyor didn't like the letters on the side of the hose) if I moved it. A bit of work, but perhaps not a bad idea. With a bright flashlight and a near empty tank, I bet you can see down in there like a doctor with a tongue depressor.

                        Harry

                        --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, GRAHAM BROADHURST <doversabre@ ...> wrote:

                        > Harry
                        > I dotn understand the 90 degree fill.
                        > Mine fills though the cockpit floor and straight down in to the tank.
                        > I have a stick to measure how full it is
                        > Graham s34 Fearless

                      • Charles Sidwa
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 22, 2010
                          After a morning of motoring through some pretty rough water and plugging my filters I bought one of these http://www.seabuilt.com/ .  Some interesting crude was found in there!  Clean as a whistle now and not a bad install either.

                          Charlie S34MKII

> [...]

                          > Tomorrow, I'll be pumping the tank dry into 5-gal jugs, so I'll be "stable." While it is certainly a critical issue, the repair won't be job #1, as I have too many that are higher on the list. But it will need to be fixed before I can get underway!
                          >
                          > I figure I'll have to pull the tank and inspect, but I assume it will have to be scrapped.
                          >
                          > Two questions:
                          > 1) Any suggestions on likely easy fixes? (a guy can hope, can't he?)
                          > 2) Any suggestions on replacements? I tried a search, but the Yahoo search is just about worthless now.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Harry
                          > (boat and location to remain nameless.... )

                        • Edward Flanagan
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 27, 2010
                            My S 34 Series I, HIN 246, has the right angle hose up to  the deck next to the toe rail, Like Harry's.  I had a problem with my tank several years ago, middle of sailing season, small leak, too much crap in bottom of tank was causing fuel issues.  Couldn't get a replacement tank that wasn't over priced,  the yard where I keep it pulled the tank and took it to a tool and die shop locally and had them cut the bottom off the tank and put on a new bottom and the tank looked brand new, $300.00 for the whole deal.  The bottom rots out from the crap sitting on the bottom that eats through the metal eventually, 22 years, $300.00 for another 22 years, I hope i get to spend anoother 300, in 22 years.

                            Ed Flanagan

                            To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
                            From: HarryK@...
                            Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:07:06 +0000

                            Interesting. That is how my parent's boat was done too. Mine takes a right angle, runs up under the cockpit combing, and the deck plate is up in the waterway right near the toerail.

                            It would be a lot less hose (it needs replacement anyway -- my surveyor didn't like the letters on the side of the hose) if I moved it. A bit of work, but perhaps not a bad idea. With a bright flashlight and a near empty tank, I bet you can see down in there like a doctor with a tongue depressor.

                            Harry

                            --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, GRAHAM BROADHURST <doversabre@ ...> wrote:

                            > Harry
                            > I dotn understand the 90 degree fill.
                            > Mine fills though the cockpit floor and straight down in to the tank.
                            > I have a stick to measure how full it is
                            > Graham s34 Fearless

                            Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox. Sign up now.
                          • Harry
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 27, 2010
                              Ed,

                              I understand the "now!" problem of mid-season issues -- I'm lucky in that I'm not likely to even get the cover off before June, let alone go sailing any time soon.  Although one person told me "you don't go far, just tie a 5 gallon jug in there until you figure out a solution."  Since it's a diesel, that's not a completely terrible idea...

                              Anyway, for $300 delivered, the original tank builder will sell me an identical brand new aluminum tank.  The first one lasted for 30 years, so if I only get 15 out of a replacement, it's hard to complain.  I'm really tempted by plastic (cheaper, less likely to fail, lighter, translucent for some visibility assistance, just as safe, etc), but I'm also getting tired of trying to figure out the problem with the fill hose.  Unless I move the fill to the cockpit floor.

                              Harry

                              To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
                              From: HarryK@...
                              Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:07:06 +0000

                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 27, 2010
                                Did you notice any pattern to the leak?  Were they under the rubber strap, for example?  And was there any chance that the stainless strap was touching the aluminum?

                                Aluminum forms a protective oxide when exposed to air that protects it from water, so I doubt it is the stuff in the bottom of the tank.  Could be electrical or some sort of crevice corrosion.  It would be nice to actually know what eats the tanks.

                                To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
                                From: HarryK@...
                                Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:07:06 +0000

                                --
                                Jim Starkey
                                NimbusDB, Inc.
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 28, 2010
                                  There was no pattern to the leaks in th ebottom of the tank, there was a rubber gasket material between the stainless straps and the tank.  The tank was pitted from what I am told is from contamination in the bottom of the tank and from critters little tiny bugs that grow in the water at the bottom then die and rot the tank, didn't really get into it, paid my money and went sailing.

                                  To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com

                                  From: HarryK@mochamail. com
                                  Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:07:06 +0000

                                  Interesting. That is how my parent's boat was done too. Mine takes a right angle, runs up under the cockpit combing, and the deck plate is up in the waterway right near the toerail.

                                  It would be a lot less hose (it needs replacement anyway -- my surveyor didn't like the letters on the side of the hose) if I moved it. A bit of work, but perhaps not a bad idea. With a bright flashlight and a near empty tank, I bet you can see down in there like a doctor with a tongue depressor.

                                  Harry

                                  --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, GRAHAM BROADHURST <doversabre@ ...> wrote:

                                  > Harry
                                  > I dotn understand the 90 degree fill.
                                  > Mine fills though the cockpit floor and straight down in to the tank.
                                  > I have a stick to measure how full it is
                                  > Graham s34 Fearless

                                • stebenb9567
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 17, 2010
                                    Recent sender replacement & in line filter removal were obviously insufficient attention for my tank...it's now decided to leak.

                                    This brings me to my request for info on removal of the tank from a S38 mkI. Hopefully, it can fit out thru the cockpit locker.

                                    Thanks,
                                    Steve Butkus
                                    Wind Rush II
                                    1983 S38-I

                                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Leonard Bertaux <lbertaux@...> wrote:

                                    > Email Glen at Sabre. He provided shop drawings and manufacturer
                                    > information for my S38 fuel tank.
                                    >
                                    > Leonard Bertaux
                                    >
                                    > Sent from my iPhone,
                                    >
                                    > On Mar 15, 2010, at 11:42 PM, "sailor11767" <HarryK@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Well, I was down at the boat tonight, and looked in the bilge. The
                                    > > "water" was red. Uh oh. I've shut down the bilge pump, so no
                                    > > environmental issues, but now I have to figure out where it's coming
                                    > > from. The fuel tank platform has an drain hole in it, and I put a
                                    > > paper towel in the hole -- and it has become wet and red. No
                                    > > evidence of leaks around the fittings on the top of the tank. I'm
                                    > > afraid that means that it is coming through what once was solid
                                    > > aluminum.
                                    > >
                                    > > Tomorrow, I'll be pumping the tank dry into 5-gal jugs, so I'll be
                                    > > "stable." While it is certainly a critical issue, the repair won't
                                    > > be job #1, as I have too many that are higher on the list. But it
                                    > > will need to be fixed before I can get underway!
                                    > >
                                    > > I figure I'll have to pull the tank and inspect, but I assume it
                                    > > will have to be scrapped.
                                    > >
                                    > > Two questions:
                                    > > 1) Any suggestions on likely easy fixes? (a guy can hope, can't he?)
                                    > > 2) Any suggestions on replacements? I tried a search, but the Yahoo
                                    > > search is just about worthless now.
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks,
                                    > >
                                    > > Harry
                                    > > (boat and location to remain nameless....)

                                  • Bill Blalock
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 17, 2010
                                      Steve,
                                      I measured my tank (while replacing the sender) to see if it would fit
                                      out through the port lazerette, and I figured it would fit out with a
                                      couple of inches to spare. Haven't done it yet though. You may need
                                      to pull the lazerette lid to get it out of the way.
                                      Bill B 1986 S38mk1

                                      On 7/17/10, stebenb9567 <stebenb9567@...> wrote:
                                      > Recent sender replacement & in line filter removal were obviously
                                      > insufficient attention for my tank...it's now decided to leak.
                                      >
                                      > This brings me to my request for info on removal of the tank from a S38 mkI.
                                      > Hopefully, it can fit out thru the cockpit locker.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks,
                                      > Steve Butkus
                                      > Wind Rush II
                                      > 1983 S38-I
                                      >
                                      > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Leonard Bertaux <lbertaux@...> wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >> Email Glen at Sabre. He provided shop drawings and manufacturer
                                      >> information for my S38 fuel tank.
                                      >>
                                      >> Leonard Bertaux
                                      >>
                                      >> Sent from my iPhone,
                                      >>
                                      >> On Mar 15, 2010, at 11:42 PM, "sailor11767" <HarryK@...>
                                      >> wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >> > Well, I was down at the boat tonight, and looked in the bilge. The
                                      >> > "water" was red. Uh oh. I've shut down the bilge pump, so no
                                      >> > environmental issues, but now I have to figure out where it's coming
                                      >> > from. The fuel tank platform has an drain hole in it, and I put a
                                      >> > paper towel in the hole -- and it has become wet and red. No
                                      >> > evidence of leaks around the fittings on the top of the tank. I'm
                                      >> > afraid that means that it is coming through what once was solid
                                      >> > aluminum.
                                      >> >
                                      >> > Tomorrow, I'll be pumping the tank dry into 5-gal jugs, so I'll be
                                      >> > "stable." While it is certainly a critical issue, the repair won't
                                      >> > be job #1, as I have too many that are higher on the list. But it
                                      >> > will need to be fixed before I can get underway!
                                      >> >
                                      >> > I figure I'll have to pull the tank and inspect, but I assume it
                                      >> > will have to be scrapped.
                                      >> >
                                      >> > Two questions:
                                      >> > 1) Any suggestions on likely easy fixes? (a guy can hope, can't he?)
                                      >> > 2) Any suggestions on replacements? I tried a search, but the Yahoo
                                      >> > search is just about worthless now.
                                      >> >
                                      >> > Thanks,
                                      >> >
                                      >> > Harry
                                      >> > (boat and location to remain nameless....)

                                    • Jan
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 19, 2010
                                        Steve,

                                        I have not done it but the PBO took it out to clean it and while it was out had two 6-inch inspection covers cut into the top. If you take it out, I recommend having those put on as I use mine all the time to have a look inside and since I don't have a guage that I trust, I can sound the tank to see how much fuel is left. I can also tell what buildup of "bugs" are growing in there. Unlike Bill, I have the Classic layout so I'm sure the tank comes up through the port lazarette. Take the right angle fitting apart on the drawdown tube and remove the screen inside. My fuel problems dissappeared once I did that and finding that darn screen took weeks of the engine cutting out unexpectedly.

                                        Jan S38 MkI

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 19, 2010
                                          Don't know about the 38 but on my 42 the tank(under the aft cabin bunk) was easy to remove and get off the boat (once it was empty...)

                                          The aluminum tank was in relatively good shape except for pin hole leaks near two of the corners (crevise erosion, it had probably sat in water due to poor care by PO). I had the leaks welded and then I coated the bottom edges in epoxy before remounting the tank. No problems 4 years running.

                                          Richard
                                          s/v ESCAPE 1988 S42
                                          Edgewater, MD

                                          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "stebenb9567" <stebenb9567@...> wrote:

                                          > Recent sender replacement & in line filter removal were obviously insufficient attention for my tank...it's now decided to leak.
                                          >
                                          > This brings me to my request for info on removal of the tank from a S38 mkI. Hopefully, it can fit out thru the cockpit locker.
                                          >
                                          > Thanks,
                                          > Steve Butkus
                                          > Wind Rush II
                                          > 1983 S38-I
                                          >
                                          > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Leonard Bertaux <lbertaux@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Email Glen at Sabre. He provided shop drawings and manufacturer
                                          > > information for my S38 fuel tank.
                                          > >
                                          > > Leonard Bertaux
                                          > >
                                          > > Sent from my iPhone,
                                          > >
                                          > > On Mar 15, 2010, at 11:42 PM, "sailor11767" <HarryK@>
                                          > > wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > > Well, I was down at the boat tonight, and looked in the bilge. The
                                          > > > "water" was red. Uh oh. I've shut down the bilge pump, so no
                                          > > > environmental issues, but now I have to figure out where it's coming
                                          > > > from. The fuel tank platform has an drain hole in it, and I put a
                                          > > > paper towel in the hole -- and it has become wet and red. No
                                          > > > evidence of leaks around the fittings on the top of the tank. I'm
                                          > > > afraid that means that it is coming through what once was solid
                                          > > > aluminum.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Tomorrow, I'll be pumping the tank dry into 5-gal jugs, so I'll be
                                          > > > "stable." While it is certainly a critical issue, the repair won't
                                          > > > be job #1, as I have too many that are higher on the list. But it
                                          > > > will need to be fixed before I can get underway!
                                          > > >
                                          > > > I figure I'll have to pull the tank and inspect, but I assume it
                                          > > > will have to be scrapped.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Two questions:
                                          > > > 1) Any suggestions on likely easy fixes? (a guy can hope, can't he?)
                                          > > > 2) Any suggestions on replacements? I tried a search, but the Yahoo
                                          > > > search is just about worthless now.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Thanks,
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Harry
                                          > > > (boat and location to remain nameless....)

                                        • silentrunning17
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 19, 2010
                                            I just replaced the tank in my 28 with a new aluminum tank from RDS MFG. Inc. 850-584-6898. They have a good selection and can make custom tanks if desired. You can buy direct from them.
                                            Tim

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 19, 2010
                                              If RDS made your tank for Sabre,odds are they still have the drawings and can make an exact replica. I was amazed when I called and they sent me a.pdf of the original. It drops the price quite a bit, too.

                                              Pete

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Aug 2, 2010
                                                Thanks to all who provided their inputs for changing out the fuel tank on my S38-I. I finally got it out on Sunday! It was certainly an experience!

                                                The first effort was the removal of the Westerbeke genset which, after no little effort, was hoisted out & swung onto the pier using the boom.

                                                Now the tank. Bear with me while I go into a little detail to record a few lessons learned. To jump to the end, after interferences were removed, the tank finally came out by shifting the tank forward & raising its forward end over the forward end of the wooden tray/foundation in which the tank lives. Then the forward end of the tank rotates towards the port bow allowing the fuel filler elbow on the stbd after corner of the tank to squeeze out forward of the 2 steering sheaves which were able to remain in place.

                                                The 2 significant preps which enabled the above were 1) the removal of the exhaust "elbow" from the aft end of the manifold (the 3 nuts mercifully were readily removed) & 2)removal of the wire-reinforced rubber fill hose from the elbow on the stbd aft corner of the tank (accessed thru/around the steering sheaves & cables.) In the end the latter was removed by descending into the lazarette containing the rudderpost, cutting the hose (alas), pushing a screwdriver thru the hose, and then rotating & pulling on the hose using the 2 "handles" provided by the screwdriver. Due to the reinforcing wire the hose was much easier to rotate in one direction than the other.

                                                These are the main points...obviously there were plenty of other "minor" tasks, e.g. hose clamps, wire connections, tank banding.

                                                Should anyone find themselves needing to remove their tank, I'd be happy to provide more details.

                                                Steve Butkus
                                                Wind Rush II
                                                S38-I