RE: [SabreSailboat] Holding tank retrofit in S34-I

  • Barend Brink
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2010
      I want to second your comment Jim!

      In Seattle we unintentionally dump between 20 and 40 million gallons of raw sewage into Puget Sound every year.  Then there is a requirement for boats to have holding tanks?

      Don't get me wrong, I agree with protecting the environment and having holding tanks.  But if you want to fight pollution, your biggest impact is going to be with land lubbers.  At least this is true here in the Puget Sound.

      Getting off the topic, but this is a pet peeve of mine.

      //Barend

      To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
      From: josrulz_2001@...
      Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 07:07:21 -0800
      Subject: Re: [SabreSailboat] Holding tank retrofit in S34-I

      Hi Harry,
      Let me just say up front that I don't think recreation boaters are the problem here, compared to treatment plants, run-off, etc..  We're just an easy example.

      That said, you asked about other solutions.  We currently have the standard holding tank set-up and are planning to remove it all to install a composting head, likely the Airhead.  If interested, I've gathered a lot of info about this type of system, though I have not had one yet.  I have spoken with sailors who have, and we feel this is the right solution for us.  I'm happy to share the info, if you or anyone is interested.  When properly installed, they don't smell, require no pump-outs, and require no holding tank (unless you want one--they are compatible), and best of all are extremely simple, so maintenance is at a minimum and if they "break" it's not catastrophic.  Once budget allows, we'll make the change.
      -Jim

      1984 Sabre 34, #207

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5, 2010
        Here Here  In SaintPetersburg   FL the waste water goes to sewer treatment tanks.  But if it rains cats and dogs as it often does in the tropics the tanks get filled quickly so there is a overflow pipe that runs out 3/4 of a mile in Tampa Bay  . And marked on some old charts.  The same bay where they are trying to clean( be Green ) They even planted oysters to help start oyster beds with limited success.
         Well why don't they build new tanks you ask.? the pipe is cheeper !!!Lee/ Fla