Re: [SabreSailboat] Thermocouple replacement for 3 burner Seaward Products CNG Oven

  • lenny smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
      Stu,

      I am in the exact same position. Even a long propane lighter would not provide enough heat to activate the gas to the main burner.  I figure the capillary tube is shot.  It hasn't been high on the priority list so I haven't spent a lot of effort.  The pilot light, cap tube and thermostatic control cannot be unique to Seward Products.  My next step is to visit some local residential natural gas stove service and repair shops.

      I'll pass on what I find and will be interested in other experiences from the list.

      Lenny Smith
      Born to Run
      S38 Mk I    97

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
        Absolutely.  The thermocouple must sense the heat from the pilot light before it will open the gas valve to allow gas into the oven burner.  If you hold the flame of a long propane lighter under the thermocouple, and the gas valve does not open, you've located your problem.

        Alan

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
          FYI, Lenny, I found this site, which seems to be tailored to poor souls like us. Very complicated, but well documented. Might give this a try next week in addition to harassing the manuf.

          http://www.suremarine.com/stove-repair.htm

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
            try Corp Brothers in Providence RI  (401) 849-3340
            I got mine from them a couple years ago.

            And I would say it is going to get a LOT worse VERY soon.
            Europe has some new regulations on such stuff.
            The RoHS II specs just went into effect last week and they are very tough.
            China is adaopting them, as is Korea and California.
            The paperwork to sell, store and handle products with certain hazardous material is just not worth the effort to most manufacturers.  Sounds like Seaward is giving up on the older units.

            Wonder home much work it is to calibrate a generic themocouple?  They are 1/10th the price of the Seaward models and available at any hardware store.  Just would need to change the mount if you got the calibration correct.

            Good Luck.

            john

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
              liberty60657 wrote:
              > I have a 1983 S38 which has the Seward Products CNG oven and stove. The stove burners work fine, but the oven doesn't. Problem is that the pilot lights but, even after waiting the specified time for heat to build, gas won't flow to the main burner. Research suggests that this is probably a thermocouple problem.
              >
              > Glenn told me to call the manufacturer but not to get my hopes up. Call to them yielded the expected "product discontinued" response, leaving me back to square zero. Any ideas short of replacing the unit altogether?

              Ask Seaward about a LPG conversion kit. It used to contain a
              replacement thermostat and jets and cost the same as their CNG
              thermostat. If they will sell you the conversion kit, you need to
              replace the thermostat and jets, the manifold fitting, the gas line (the
              fittings are not compatible), the regulator, and the tanks. The whole
              shabang will cost about two seasons of CNG refills. If you go that
              route, I can tell you a great deal more.

              --
              Jim Starkey
              NimbusDB, Inc.
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
                Msr. Starkey,
                Thanks for staying with us.

                Greg T.

                > I have a 1983 S38 which has the Seward Products CNG oven and stove. The stove burners work fine, but the oven doesn't. Problem is that the pilot lights but, even after waiting the specified time for heat to build, gas won't flow to the main burner. Research suggests that this is probably a thermocouple problem.
                >
                > Glenn told me to call the manufacturer but not to get my hopes up. Call to them yielded the expected "product discontinued" response, leaving me back to square zero. Any ideas short of replacing the unit altogether?

                Ask Seaward about a LPG conversion kit. It used to contain a
                replacement thermostat and jets and cost the same as their CNG
                thermostat. If they will sell you the conversion kit, you need to
                replace the thermostat and jets, the manifold fitting, the gas line (the
                fittings are not compatible), the regulator, and the tanks. The whole
                shabang will cost about two seasons of CNG refills. If you go that
                route, I can tell you a great deal more.

                --
                Jim Starkey
                NimbusDB, Inc.
                978 526-1376
              • workshoe99
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
                  When I was getting our boat ready to cruise I bought the LPG kit Jim mentions from Downwind Marine in San Diego who got it from Seaward. I think it was about $130.00 for the conversion jets, manifold and thermocouple. I had bought a locker with a tank and regulator/solenoid at a boat show the year before. The conversion was necessary as CNG is not available south of the border and I could barely find it in San Diego. I never found a good place for the locker and still get a drain to empty above the waterline so I just hung the tank on the stern rail. We made a Sunbrella cover for it so it is not noticable. I have never looked back and we can get refills nearly anywhere we stop. We are having some issues with the oven not regulating for set temperature but we get by by using a thermometer inside the oven and hand regulate it when the Admiral is baking. It is on my (her) list to "fix".

                  Jan S38 Mk I #41