Re: [SabreSailboat] What did everybody's boat get for Christmas?

  • David Evans
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 4, 2010
      Hickory Wind got her present early (when stuff's on sale...) and then yes
      there's the installation part. It's a Maxwell RC10-8 windlass. Perhaps
      it's a present for my back?
      dge

      > Miss T will have a new Harken traveler system, once I install it.
    • bennettkaufman99
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 5, 2010
        CARACOL [hauled out for the winter] got an (early) Christmas present of 2 feet of snow.

        ben kaufman, CARACOL (S36 #52)
      • Dan Speranzo
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 5, 2010
          MAGIC got a Mack StackPak complete with lazy jacks. She'll also get a
          new Balmar alternator and regulator as soon as it's warm enough for her
          custodian (me) to take the old one off and figure out which model she needs.

          Dan Speranzo
          MAGIC - S38 MkII #129
        • Bill Randall
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 5, 2010
            Calyso got a new windlass and Santa gets to install it so the admiral will be happier.

            Bill Randall

            On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Dan Trainor <daniel.trainor@...> wrote:

            New LED flashlight!

            On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

            Solace will eventually get a rebuilt injection pump and a haulout.  The skipper got a compact Panasonic Lumix camera that takes HD movies as well.  Hopefully we'll get out more and have some good sailing videos next season.
            Pete

            On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 1:25 PM, R Coerse <rcoerse@...> wrote:

            Early Light received the latest edition of Chapmans to replace the dog eared 1959 edition, but Early Light's favorite gift was a promise by her skipper to sail her 30 % more in 2010. :-)

            Dick Coerse

            "Early Light"

            1982 Sabre 34 MK I #160

            Solomons, MD

            vanbeckump wrote:

            Mine got a remote mic for the VHF and a one touch winch handle.

            Peter Van Beckum

            --
            Dan

            --
            Bill Randall
            AFI/Filmworks
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 5, 2010

              Clearly, this group is either printing money in the basement or foregoing basic nutrition in order to buy boat stuff.

              Tribute got refrigeration.  Boy am I hungry.

              Calyso got a new windlass and Santa gets to install it so the admiral will be happier.

              Bill Randall

              On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Dan Trainor <daniel.trainor@ earthlink. net> wrote:

              New LED flashlight!

              vanbeckump wrote:

              Mine got a remote mic for the VHF and a one touch winch handle.

              Peter Van Beckum

              --
              Dan

              --
              Bill Randall
              AFI/Filmworks
              2140 South Dixie Hwy Ste 311
              Miami , FL 33133
              305-857-0055

            • Art
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 5, 2010
                Trinity finally got her storage bill paid so she can move to the work area for Jan. launch, just wish it would warm up down here :)

                Art Croxton
                S30

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Bill Randall <billafi@...> wrote:

                > Calyso got a new windlass and Santa gets to install it so the admiral will
                > be happier.
                >
                > Bill Randall
                >
                > On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Dan Trainor <daniel.trainor@...>wrote:
                >

                > > New LED flashlight!
                > >

                > > On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:
                > >

                > >> Solace will eventually get a rebuilt injection pump and a haulout. The
                > >> skipper got a compact Panasonic Lumix camera that takes HD movies as well.
                > >> Hopefully we'll get out more and have some good sailing videos next season.
                > >> Pete

                > > --
                > > Dan
                > >

                > --
                > Bill Randall
                > AFI/Filmworks
                > 2140 South Dixie Hwy Ste 311
                > Miami, FL 33133
                > 305-857-0055

              • MATT
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 5, 2010
                  Serendipity got a new owner!!!

                  She also recieved multiple gift certificates to Defender.com for a Bluesea v422 tank and battery monitor, Lewmar windlass, and a Xantrex inverter.

                  I have the rest of this winter to finish this wiring project while shes in a heated storage.

                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "vanbeckump" <vanbeckump@...> wrote:

                  > Mine got a remote mic for the VHF and a one touch winch handle.
                  >
                  > Peter Van Beckum

                • Phillip Shepard
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 5, 2010
                    Dan-
                         Have you installed the Mack StackPak yet? If so, what do you think of the quality? I have a 38II and am in the market for a stack-pak. Did you check other sail makers prices?
                        Phil

                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 5, 2010

                      Phil,

                      We have had the Mack Stackpak for two seasons now and love it.  I am friends with our local Mack rep.  We did new genoa and main, strong track and Stackpak at the same time.  It all came in under 8k.  The combination of strong track and Stackpak has made dealing with our main a delight.

                      Greg T.

                      “Kestrel” S38 Mk1 #42

                      Greg Thompson

                      Coordinator, K-12 Physical Education

                      Farmington Public Schools

                      Teacher, William Grace Elementary

                      29040 Shiawassee Street
                      Farmington Hills , MI 48336

                      (248) 426-4823

                      gregory.thompson@...

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 5, 2010
                        We must all do our part to get this economy moving, this group is doing that job well.

                        Charlie,  Chinook S34MKII

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 5, 2010
                          It’s a tough job, but someone has to do it. Besides, we all need our 401(k)s to grow. What better way than buying boat parts? Besides, new clothes, new furniture, new cars, food, they're all over rated.

                          Dave

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 5, 2010
                            I don't think my boat depreciated as badly as my pension did so better the money was in the boat instead of the market.

                            Peter Van Beckum
                            "DUET" S30 mk3
                            Noank, CT

                            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Lochner <davelochner@...> wrote:

                            > It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. Besides, we all need our 401(k)s to grow. What better way than buying boat parts? Besides, new clothes, new furniture, new cars, food, they're all over rated.
                            >
                            > Dave
                            >

                            > On Jan 5, 2010, at 11:32 AM, Charles Sidwa wrote:
                            >
                            > We must all do our part to get this economy moving, this group is doing that job well.
                            >
                            > Charlie, Chinook S34MKII

                          • THOMPSON, GREGORY
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 5, 2010

                              I think Travis McGee would approve of how we are managing our portfolios.  Enjoying our retirement one salvage job at-a-time.

                              Might as well enjoy it while we can still jump around on these boats.

                              Greg T

                              I don't think my boat depreciated as badly as my pension did so better the money was in the boat instead of the market.

                              Peter Van Beckum
                              "DUET" S30 mk3
                              Noank , CT

                              --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, Dave Lochner <davelochner@ ...> wrote:

                              > It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. Besides, we all need our
                              401(k)s to grow. What better way than buying boat parts? Besides, new clothes, new furniture, new cars, food, they're all over rated.

                              > Dave
                              >

                              > On Jan 5, 2010, at 11:32 AM, Charles Sidwa wrote:
                              >
                              > We must all do our part to get this economy moving, this group is doing
                              that job well.

                              > Charlie, Chinook S34MKII

                              w:st="on">FL 33133

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 5, 2010
                                I don't think Travis McGee is a good role model at all. All he ever did
                                for the Busted Flush was fix bullet holes and rebuild her whenever she
                                got blown up. She needed new diesels, but oh no, even if he could have
                                used the deduction as business expense when he reported his salvage income.

                                Still, McGree is a better model than Reacher...

                                --
                                Jim Starkey
                                Founder, NimbusDB, Inc.
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 5, 2010
                                  Shit, how cool was Travis McGee.  You know he's seated at some bar right now, just off Fiddler's Green, going drink for drink with Jack Aubrey, John D. MacDonald, and Patrick O'Brian.  And would the Busted Flush even qualify as a stink pot?

                                  Better than...Kinsey Milhone....and Kay Scarpetta....and...

                                  Bill B

                                  --
                                  Jim Starkey
                                  Founder, NimbusDB, Inc.

                                • Charles Sidwa
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 5, 2010
                                    I had to Bing "Travis McGee" to understand the metaphor, fun.   He reminds me a bit of Jim Rockford.

                                    --
                                    Jim Starkey
                                    Founder, NimbusDB, Inc.

                                  • Dan Speranzo
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 6, 2010
                                      No. I ordered it in Annapolis. It came in about a week ago. I spread it
                                      out on the living room floor and looked it over. The workmanship is
                                      excellent, the hardware is first rate. Came with written instructions
                                      and a DVD.

                                      I've worked with Mack Sails before and was very pleased with their work.
                                      The suit of sails they built for my other boat, (currently for sale)
                                      still looks great after 5 years.

                                      Everybody else is a lot more expensive. All the big names, North UK,
                                      etc. do a great job and give great customer service, but you pay dearly
                                      for it. The down side with Mack is you have to do all the measuring and
                                      installs yourself. They're in Stewart, Florida. I'm in New York.

                                      We had Stack Packs on chartered boats and we were sold. When you release
                                      the halyard, the main comes down and dumps in the Pack. Pull the zipper
                                      on the Stack Pack closed and you're done. For racing, you can roll down
                                      the pack sides and secure them with built in ties.

                                      Dan Speranzo
                                      MAGIC - S38 MkII #129