White covering on bulkhead in head on Sabre 34-I?

  • josrulz_2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2010
      Hi all,
      I'm doing some work on our 1984 Sabre 34-I, and I might need to replace some of the white "veneer" material that covers the teak bulkhead in the head. Seems like a vinyl or plastic-type of material.

      Does anyone know what this material actually is, and where I can get it (if even possible)?
      Thanks!
      -Jim
    • lenny smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2010
        Jim,

        I just finished replacing a bulkhead in our S38 Mk 1 that had the laminate on both sides.  We used an alabaster color "Formica" type laminate from the local Gordon Lumber Company.  Even after 24 years the color match is almost perfect.  I don't recall the exact brand name but I suggest that you visit a local lumber yard that serves the local kitchen and bath contractors.  We were able to choose from 5 different "whites" plus they had small samples that we could take back to the boat for comparison.

        A heat gun can be used to remove the old laminate and contact cement is used to glue it back in place.  You should use a laminate bit on a router to make the final flush cut against the plywood edge.

        Hope this helps.

        Lenny
        Born to Run
        S38 MK 1

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2010
          Thanks Lenny. I'll just be doing a portion, so that's why the match is important. There is a local lumber yard nearby, so I'll check them out--thanks!
          -Jim