Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: ubiquity nanostation loco5

  • Bill Blalock
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2009
      Jan,
      I was in New Orleans a few weeks ago, and looked around some of my old sailing haunts post Katrina.  Most facilities are back up and running, but sailboats looked like maybe a third in number of what they had been.
      Bill

      On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:53 AM, workshoe99 <workshoe99@...> wrote:

      Peter and all,

      Last winter I met Ewout Mante in Mexico as he was passing through on way to the South Pacific with his family on his boat "Bravado". He gave a seminar for cruisers on how best to get wifi on your boat. He bought most of his stuff from Data Alliance.

      http://www.data-alliance.net/

      They have posted his research on their website under "marinas,boats,yachts". He gives the best run-down on how to keep in touch while cruising that I have ever read. I bought a RealTek 800 mW USB Adapter (the 1000mW unit was not offered at that time) and an extension cord for about $60 which pulls in wifi nearly anywhere we anchor if we are close to civilization. I can't believe how great it works for so cheap. I have probably $300+ invested in Hawking equipment which has never worked as well as this RealTek stuff. I highly recommend anyone wanting to know how best to go about picking up wifi, read through Ewout's findings. He has pulled in signals from 5 miles away while anchored out! I am always amazed at the number of signals I can now see when my Hawking shows little or nothing. Most are locked but there is always one or two that are not.

      Happy New Year to all of you,

      Jan
      S38 MkI #41, "Caprccio"

      PS- Since I will be spending the winter working in New Orleans instead of cruising, are there any list members who sail down there needing crew?