ubiquity nanostation loco5

  • vanbeckump
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2009
      http://www.ubnt.com/products/loco.php

      A friend forwarded me a mention of this on a Bayfield boat-owners forum. The user claimed that it allowed him access to unprotected WiFi on about 70% of his cruise down the IC. Can one of our electronics guys please comment?

      Can I use it with my laptop on board? Do I need AC power? How is it installed/mounted? Just plug into my USB? Anything else? The company makes lots of similar looking devices and I have no idea how (and if) to choose.

      Thanks in advance,

      Peter Van Beckum
    • workshoe99
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 29, 2009
        Peter and all,

        Last winter I met Ewout Mante in Mexico as he was passing through on way to the South Pacific with his family on his boat "Bravado". He gave a seminar for cruisers on how best to get wifi on your boat. He bought most of his stuff from Data Alliance.

        http://www.data-alliance.net/

        They have posted his research on their website under "marinas,boats,yachts". He gives the best run-down on how to keep in touch while cruising that I have ever read. I bought a RealTek 800 mW USB Adapter (the 1000mW unit was not offered at that time) and an extension cord for about $60 which pulls in wifi nearly anywhere we anchor if we are close to civilization. I can't believe how great it works for so cheap. I have probably $300+ invested in Hawking equipment which has never worked as well as this RealTek stuff. I highly recommend anyone wanting to know how best to go about picking up wifi, read through Ewout's findings. He has pulled in signals from 5 miles away while anchored out! I am always amazed at the number of signals I can now see when my Hawking shows little or nothing. Most are locked but there is always one or two that are not.

        Happy New Year to all of you,

        Jan
        S38 MkI #41, "Caprccio"

        PS- Since I will be spending the winter working in New Orleans instead of cruising, are there any list members who sail down there needing crew?

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "vanbeckump" <vanbeckump@...> wrote:

        > http://www.ubnt.com/products/loco.php
        >
        > A friend forwarded me a mention of this on a Bayfield boat-owners forum. The user claimed that it allowed him access to unprotected WiFi on about 70% of his cruise down the IC. Can one of our electronics guys please comment?
        >
        > Can I use it with my laptop on board? Do I need AC power? How is it installed/mounted? Just plug into my USB? Anything else? The company makes lots of similar looking devices and I have no idea how (and if) to choose.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Peter Van Beckum

      • James L. Frankel
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 29, 2009
          Remember that radio is a symmetric operation.  That is, you both need to hear a signal from a base station (access point) -- this requires receiver sensitivity, not power -- and you need to be able to transmit to that base station -- this requires transmit power.  The best way to achieve both of these is with antenna gain and position.  Also, remember that signal loss in the cable in the 2.4GHz range is significant.

          I have installed a WiFi antenna with 10dB gain (Digital Antenna 825-WLW) on my masthead with low-loss cable (Times Microwave LMR-400 - http://www.timesmicrowave.com/wireless/) to a 600mW high-power bridge (Engenius ECB-8610S - http://www.engeniustech.com/datacom/products/details.aspx?id=219 -- actually I have the older ECB-8610).  This setup has worked well for me.  Hope this is helpful for others, too.

          Jamie

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 29, 2009
            My father uses one of this genre, I think it is called '5 mile wifi' during the 6 months each year he lives on his boat, from the Keys to Canada, and he loves his. He has literally picked up email 5 miles offshore! I'm not entirely sure how it works -- as Jamie says, you need to receive also! But, for the several hundred it cost him, it does the job.

            Harry

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "James L. Frankel" <frankel@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > > Jan
            > > S38 MkI #41, "Caprccio"
            > >
            > > PS- Since I will be spending the winter working in New Orleans instead
            > > of cruising, are there any list members who sail down there needing crew?
            > >
            > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
            > > <mailto:Sabresailboat%40yahoogroups.com>, "vanbeckump"
            > > <vanbeckump@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > http://www.ubnt.com/products/loco.php
            > > <http://www.ubnt.com/products/loco.php>
            > > >
            > > > A friend forwarded me a mention of this on a Bayfield boat-owners
            > > forum. The user claimed that it allowed him access to unprotected WiFi
            > > on about 70% of his cruise down the IC. Can one of our electronics
            > > guys please comment?
            > > >
            > > > Can I use it with my laptop on board? Do I need AC power? How is it
            > > installed/mounted? Just plug into my USB? Anything else? The company
            > > makes lots of similar looking devices and I have no idea how (and if)

          • Bill Blalock
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 29, 2009
              Jan,
              I was in New Orleans a few weeks ago, and looked around some of my old sailing haunts post Katrina.  Most facilities are back up and running, but sailboats looked like maybe a third in number of what they had been.
              Bill