Holiday Gift Ideas for Sailors?

  • diane_mikeb
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 6, 2009
      Any ideas for new, unique or must-have gifts/gadgets/tools (especially gadgets and tools?) I found a few sites when doing a Google search - "gifts for sailors" - but thought this group might be a better source of inspiration!

      Diane
      Stryker
    • vanbeckump
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 6, 2009
        My sweetie loved her Lewmar One Touch winch handle. http://www.lewmar.com/products.asp?id=7582&type=25&channel=1
        She is getting a second one this year! Eventually I will spoil her enough that she will insist on a new traveler!

        Peter

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 6, 2009
          Diane,

          Cash always works.  :)

          Can you provide a little more info, price range, sailor's experience, boat?

          A new rigging knife might be welcome. I'm impressed by Myerchin knives (http://myerchin.com/Rigging_Knives.html). The knife with a light is cool. New GPSs, Handheld VHFs are good.  A hand bearing compass, a handheld anemometer (although I'm not all that impressed with Windmates). Traditional navigation tools (dividers, parallel rules, etc.) Brass lamps for boat. Check out http://www.weems-plath.com/. A windproof fleece vest (check out LL Bean).

          Hope this helps.

          Dave

          On Dec 6, 2009, at 8:36 PM, diane_mikeb wrote:

          Any ideas for new, unique or must-have gifts/gadgets/ tools (especially gadgets and tools?) I found a few sites when doing a Google search - "gifts for sailors" - but thought this group might be a better source of inspiration!

          Diane
          Stryker

        • yaf001
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 7, 2009
            Diane,

            One very interesting gadget for the tech junkie is the Weems & Plath electronic barograph. Gives a great visual indication of barometric trends comparable to a much more expensive classic old drum/ink pen device. Only needs a couple of AA batteries too.
            Check out

            I have the original older model which has been a really neat fun addition to the nav station!

            Have fun deciding!

            Yves

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 7, 2009
              digital radar is just 2 grand. Just don't tell them the mounting will come close to doubling that.   Just explain the radar will overlay the chartplotter so they can see where they are and what is coming at them no matter the weather for time of day.

              Any ideas for new, unique or must-have gifts/gadgets/ tools (especially gadgets and tools?) I found a few sites when doing a Google search - "gifts for sailors" - but thought this group might be a better source of inspiration!

              Diane
              Stryker

            • Barry Dwyer
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 7, 2009

                Try www.myboatsgear.com

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 7, 2009
                  Dave - those are the kinds of things I was looking for. The boat (S38-I) came with a lot of cruising amenities when we bought it last spring, and we've already added some bigger ticket items (like new sails this fall.)

                  Last Christmas, the 'hit' gift was a Leatherman Skeletool CX (http://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools/full-size-tools/skeletool-cx.aspx)- highly recommended.

                  I've already gotten a few good leads here from this and other posts - thanks!

                  Diane

                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Lochner <davelochner@...> wrote:

                  > Diane,
                  >
                  > Cash always works. :)
                  >
                  > Can you provide a little more info, price range, sailor's experience, boat?
                  >
                  > A new rigging knife might be welcome. I'm impressed by Myerchin knives (http://myerchin.com/Rigging_Knives.html). The knife with a light is cool. New GPSs, Handheld VHFs are good. A hand bearing compass, a handheld anemometer (although I'm not all that impressed with Windmates). Traditional navigation tools (dividers, parallel rules, etc.) Brass lamps for boat. Check out http://www.weems-plath.com/. A windproof fleece vest (check out LL Bean).
                  >
                  > Hope this helps.
                  >
                  > Dave
                  >

                  > On Dec 6, 2009, at 8:36 PM, diane_mikeb wrote:
                  >
                  > > Any ideas for new, unique or must-have gifts/gadgets/tools (especially gadgets and tools?) I found a few sites when doing a Google search - "gifts for sailors" - but thought this group might be a better source of inspiration!
                  > >
                  > > Diane
                  > > Stryker

                • Neil Russell
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 7, 2009
                    Cetacea Corp makes very nice tethers to attach those knives and flashlights
                    to your belt or harness.

                    4Sevens carries a lot of nice, small LED flashlights.

                    BerkeleyPoint carries a lot of shackles and other gear, in case
                    you wanted to upgrade to titanitum, for instance:

                    --N
                    "Whisper"
                    S362-266
                    Salem MA

                    On Dec 7, 2009, at 9:11 AM, diane_mikeb wrote:

                    Dave - those are the kinds of things I was looking for. The boat (S38-I) came with a lot of cruising amenities when we bought it last spring, and we've already added some bigger ticket items (like new sails this fall.)

                    Last Christmas, the 'hit' gift was a Leatherman Skeletool CX (http://www.leatherm an.com/multi- tools/full- size-tools/ skeletool- cx.aspx)- highly recommended.

                    I've already gotten a few good leads here from this and other posts - thanks!

                    Diane

                    --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, Dave Lochner <davelochner@ ...> wrote:

                    > Diane,
                    >
                    > Cash always works. :)
                    >
                    > Can you provide a little more info, price range, sailor's experience, boat?
                    >
                    > A new rigging knife might be welcome. I'm impressed by Myerchin knives (http://myerchin. com/Rigging_ Knives.html). The knife with a light is cool. New GPSs, Handheld VHFs are good. A hand bearing compass, a handheld anemometer (although I'm not all that impressed with Windmates). Traditional navigation tools (dividers, parallel rules, etc.) Brass lamps for boat. Check out http://www.weems- plath.com/ . A windproof fleece vest (check out LL Bean).
                    >
                    > Hope this helps.
                    >
                    > Dave
                    >

                    > On Dec 6, 2009, at 8:36 PM, diane_mikeb wrote:
                    >
                    > > Any ideas for new, unique or must-have gifts/gadgets/ tools (especially gadgets and tools?) I found a few sites when doing a Google search - "gifts for sailors" - but thought this group might be a better source of inspiration!
                    > >
                    > > Diane
                    > > Stryker

                  • Dan Trainor
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 7, 2009
                      Sailors Solutions

                      This is a really easy way to shop for the sailors on your list.

                      For more information, go to the link below:

                      --
                      Dan