Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: toe rail leaks

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2009
      True, but 28s and 30s are have deck stepped masts.
      Pete

      On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:42 PM, <mnthomas@...> wrote:

      Another way water can get onto the liner and drip onto the shelves is from the mast collar. The mast collar on our boat causs water to get into the head overhead light, the hanging locker and the main bulkhead to starboard. We just rebedded the collar for the second time in 7 years using Sikaflex 291 this time rather than silicone. I recommend against silicone for this application due to low adhesion.
      Martin

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2009
        2 years ago I removed the chain plates routed out the root ,let it dry a week in the fla sun . Blocked the inside whole used penetrating resin about a half cup !   the next day i used regular resin and cloth cut up pieces  strands and filled it solid. waited a week and re cut the chain plate hole with my Rotro ZIP !  great tool . used home depot Gutter caulk. hole was small this time. may dry fits before putting in the nuts and bolts !!  No leaks now EVER !!  LEE

        First check the chainplates. I've found that the chainplates will leak and the water will run along the liner and end up all along the shelf.

        Christopher

        --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, jack horner <captbluwater@ ...> wrote:

        > I know this was talked about before, sorry my memory is slipping. My toe rail of my 1982 S-28 must leak some fore I get water on the shelves .
        > Here is my question should I just tighten the rail nuts. Vice grip one side tighten till i hear it drop off. Or shall remove the bolt 4200 it and than re tighten, those of you who have done this know its almost impossible But needs to be done.
        > Break the old bungs out tighten and re bung..
        > Have to stop the water. Shall I cut away the white vinyl between the deck and toe rail and
        > 4200 it against water ?
        > I'm real open to ideas, would rather learn here than re invent the wheel ! Thanks Lee/ fla 76 degrees today 11/30

      • vanbeckump
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2009
          Here's the wrench I used but I think I needed 7/16".

          http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00942487000P?vName=Tools+%26+Equipment&cName=Hand+Tools&sName=Mechanic+Tools

          Peter