Spinnaker for Sabre 28

  • John
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 24, 2009
      I just purchased a 1982 Sabre 28 and am disappointed that it did not come with a spinnaker. I am a bit confused as to what the boat originally came with, and or what it should have. I have figured out that most Sabre 28s have an asymmetrical "Gennaker", which I believe is just a larger headsail (170%). I am wondering if anyone knows if the boat also came with a symmetrical spinnaker and a pole, and what the details and measurements would be.

      If anyone has experience with both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers on this boat I would appreciate your input. At this time I would prefer a symmetrical spinnaker. Once I decide what I want, I will be looking for someone that is willing to sell one.

      Thanks
      John
    • Pat Filoteo
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 24, 2009
        The asymmetrical varies from a large jib in that it is not hanked onto the forestay, which limits its ability to windward, but it is much better than the symmetrical in that respect.  Most S28s did not come with the rigging necessary to fly a symmetrical spinnaker - no topping lift for the pole, no track, etc.  So getting one to fly was pretty expensive relative to using an asymmetrical.  To fly the Asym, you can either re-use the Jib halyard or, if equipped, use the spare Jib halyard.  You'll need to put a couple of turning blocks on the stern, but otherwise the boat is ready to go.

        Depending on where you sail, the ASYM is nylon, .75 or so.

        Pat

        To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 24, 2009
        • 1 Attachment
        • 776 KB
        John,

        I have an asymmetrical on my S28. It's 678 square feet and made of .75 oz nylon. I use a sock to launch and douse it. It's pretty easy to do singlehanded, except when it hourglasses on the headstay with a barge headed toward you or the lazy sheet falls beneath the keel and jams between the rudder and the skeg. The you wish you'd never heard of sailboats.

        I have a dedicated spinnaker halyard that goes up to a turning block on a bail extending out from the masthead. You need this for any kind of spinnaker; these sails are meant to fly out in front of the boat. You also should have an attachment point forward of the headstay for the tack, and preferably a tack line that runs back to the cockpit so you can adjust the height of the tack. Lightweight sheets also help, since this is essentially a light air sail.

        Cordially,
        Carter Brey
        S28 Mk II Delphine
        City Island, NY

        On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 7:54 AM, John <jsts@...> wrote:

        I just purchased a 1982 Sabre 28 and am disappointed that it did not come with a spinnaker. I am a bit confused as to what the boat originally came with, and or what it should have. I have figured out that most Sabre 28s have an asymmetrical "Gennaker", which I believe is just a larger headsail (170%). I am wondering if anyone knows if the boat also came with a symmetrical spinnaker and a pole, and what the details and measurements would be.

        If anyone has experience with both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers on this boat I would appreciate your input. At this time I would prefer a symmetrical spinnaker. Once I decide what I want, I will be looking for someone that is willing to sell one.

        Thanks
        John

      • Gib Metcalf
        Message 4 of 9 , Nov 25, 2009
          Last summer I was off Cape Ann on a lee shore when my asymmetrical hourglassed on the headstay.  We struggled in vain to untangle it as we got closer and closer to the rocky shore.  Steering was very difficult with the top of the sail catching the wind on the headstay.  Finally the answer hit me.  I hollered at the helmsman to start going in circles and the sail slowly unwound from the stay.  After three 360s we were free and only modestly embarrassed as we scanned the horizon to see how many boats had witnessed our antics.

          Despite this experience (or perhaps because of it) I've enjoyed flying an asymmetrical quite a bit.  It's a lovely sail on a broad reach.
          Gib Metcalf
          Troubadour S28-446
          Salem, MA

          On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 7:54 AM, John <jsts@optonline. net> wrote:

          I just purchased a 1982 Sabre 28 and am disappointed that it did not come with a spinnaker. I am a bit confused as to what the boat originally came with, and or what it should have. I have figured out that most Sabre 28s have an asymmetrical "Gennaker", which I believe is just a larger headsail (170%). I am wondering if anyone knows if the boat also came with a symmetrical spinnaker and a pole, and what the details and measurements would be.

          If anyone has experience with both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers on this boat I would appreciate your input. At this time I would prefer a symmetrical spinnaker. Once I decide what I want, I will be looking for someone that is willing to sell one.

          Thanks
          John

        • Charles Mueller
          Message 5 of 9 , Nov 25, 2009
            I have never flown the asymmetric so I ask: When you tack/gibe the sail, do the sheets travel aft or forward of the forestay? Also, how long do you run the foot lead?

            I am just trying to visualize this as I have only flown a symmetrical spinnaker.

            Thanks

            To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
            From: carter.brey@...
            Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 00:13:57 -0500
            Subject: Re: [SabreSailboat] Spinnaker for Sabre 28 [1 Attachment]

            [Attachment(s) from Carter Brey included below]

            John,

            I have an asymmetrical on my S28. It's 678 square feet and made of .75 oz nylon. I use a sock to launch and douse it. It's pretty easy to do singlehanded, except when it hourglasses on the headstay with a barge headed toward you or the lazy sheet falls beneath the keel and jams between the rudder and the skeg. The you wish you'd never heard of sailboats.

            I have a dedicated spinnaker halyard that goes up to a turning block on a bail extending out from the masthead. You need this for any kind of spinnaker; these sails are meant to fly out in front of the boat. You also should have an attachment point forward of the headstay for the tack, and preferably a tack line that runs back to the cockpit so you can adjust the height of the tack. Lightweight sheets also help, since this is essentially a light air sail.

            Cordially,
            Carter Brey
            S28 Mk II Delphine
            City Island, NY

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jsts@...> wrote:

            > I just purchased a 1982 Sabre 28 and am disappointed that it did not come with a spinnaker.  I am a bit confused as to what the boat originally came with, and or what it should have.  I have figured out that most Sabre 28s have an asymmetrical "Gennaker", which I believe is just a larger headsail (170%).  I am wondering if anyone knows if the boat also came with a symmetrical spinnaker and a pole, and what the details and measurements would be.
            >
            > If anyone has experience with both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers on this boat I would appreciate your input.  At this time I would prefer a symmetrical spinnaker.  Once I decide what I want, I will be looking for someone that is willing to sell one.
            >
            > Thanks
            > John

            On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 7:54 AM, John <jsts@...> wrote:

            I just purchased a 1982 Sabre 28 and am disappointed that it did not come with a spinnaker. I am a bit confused as to what the boat originally came with, and or what it should have. I have figured out that most Sabre 28s have an asymmetrical "Gennaker", which I believe is just a larger headsail (170%). I am wondering if anyone knows if the boat also came with a symmetrical spinnaker and a pole, and what the details and measurements would be.

            If anyone has experience with both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers on this boat I would appreciate your input. At this time I would prefer a symmetrical spinnaker. Once I decide what I want, I will be looking for someone that is willing to sell one.

            Thanks
            John

            Attachment(s) from Carter Brey

            1 of 1 Photo(s)

            Message 6 of 9 , Nov 25, 2009
              John -
              Asymmetricals have gotten so good in recent years, unless you intend to race, the only real advantage a symmetrical poled spinnaker has over them is sailing really deep downwind.  A North G-series, or equivalent, with a sock is relatively (as Carter notes) hassle free, uses far less hardware and adds tremendously to offwind performance.
              By runnining the tack line aft to the cockpit and putting a twing on the sheet, you can tweak a cruising chute for even better performance.
              Pete
              S30 200
              Solace

              Message 7 of 9 , Nov 25, 2009
                Charles -
                If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video must be worth a bezillion.  Visualize away...

                To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
                From: carter.brey@...
                Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 00:13:57 -0500

                [Attachment(s) from Carter Brey included below]

                John,

                I have an asymmetrical on my S28. It's 678 square feet and made of .75 oz nylon. I use a sock to launch and douse it. It's pretty easy to do singlehanded, except when it hourglasses on the headstay with a barge headed toward you or the lazy sheet falls beneath the keel and jams between the rudder and the skeg. The you wish you'd never heard of sailboats.

                I have a dedicated spinnaker halyard that goes up to a turning block on a bail extending out from the masthead. You need this for any kind of spinnaker; these sails are meant to fly out in front of the boat. You also should have an attachment point forward of the headstay for the tack, and preferably a tack line that runs back to the cockpit so you can adjust the height of the tack. Lightweight sheets also help, since this is essentially a light air sail.

                Cordially,
                Carter Brey
                S28 Mk II Delphine
                City Island, NY

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jsts@...> wrote:

                > I just purchased a 1982 Sabre 28 and am disappointed that it did not come with a spinnaker.  I am a bit confused as to what the boat originally came with, and or what it should have.  I have figured out that most Sabre 28s have an asymmetrical "Gennaker", which I believe is just a larger headsail (170%).  I am wondering if anyone knows if the boat also came with a symmetrical spinnaker and a pole, and what the details and measurements would be.
                >
                > If anyone has experience with both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers on this boat I would appreciate your input.  At this time I would prefer a symmetrical spinnaker.  Once I decide what I want, I will be looking for someone that is willing to sell one.
                >
                > Thanks
                > John

                On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 7:54 AM, John <jsts@...> wrote:

                I just purchased a 1982 Sabre 28 and am disappointed that it did not come with a spinnaker. I am a bit confused as to what the boat originally came with, and or what it should have. I have figured out that most Sabre 28s have an asymmetrical "Gennaker", which I believe is just a larger headsail (170%). I am wondering if anyone knows if the boat also came with a symmetrical spinnaker and a pole, and what the details and measurements would be.

                If anyone has experience with both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers on this boat I would appreciate your input. At this time I would prefer a symmetrical spinnaker. Once I decide what I want, I will be looking for someone that is willing to sell one.

                Thanks
                John

                Attachment(s) from Carter Brey

                1 of 1 Photo(s)

              • Barry Dwyer
                Message 8 of 9 , Nov 25, 2009

                  Charles:

                  They are best flown tacked in front of the forestay which necessitates the sheets be led in front of the forestay.  However, some people use the same point as they do for jibs in which chase the sheets are aft of the forestay.

                  Also, tacking an asymmetrical spinnaker is not impossible, but gybing is the way to go.

                  Barry

                  To: Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com
                  From: carter.brey@ gmail.com
                  Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 00:13:57 -0500

                  [Attachment(s) from Carter Brey included below]

                  John,

                  I have an asymmetrical on my S28. It's 678 square feet and made of .75 oz nylon. I use a sock to launch and douse it. It's pretty easy to do singlehanded, except when it hourglasses on the headstay with a barge headed toward you or the lazy sheet falls beneath the keel and jams between the rudder and the skeg. The you wish you'd never heard of sailboats.

                  I have a dedicated spinnaker halyard that goes up to a turning block on a bail extending out from the masthead. You need this for any kind of spinnaker; these sails are meant to fly out in front of the boat. You also should have an attachment point forward of the headstay for the tack, and preferably a tack line that runs back to the cockpit so you can adjust the height of the tack. Lightweight sheets also help, since this is essentially a light air sail.

                  Cordially,
                  Carter Brey
                  S28 Mk II Delphine
                  City Island , NY

                  --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, "John" <jsts@...> wrote:

                  > I just purchased a 1982 Sabre 28 and am disappointed that it did not come
                  with a spinnaker.  I am a bit confused as to what the boat originally came with, and or what it should have.  I have figured out that most Sabre 28s have an asymmetrical "Gennaker", which I believe is just a larger headsail (170%).  I am wondering if anyone knows if the boat also came with a symmetrical spinnaker and a pole, and what the details and measurements would be.

                  > If anyone has experience with both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers
                  on this boat I would appreciate your input.  At this time I would prefer a symmetrical spinnaker.  Once I decide what I want, I will be looking for someone that is willing to se ll one.

                  > Thanks
                  > John

                  On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 7:54 AM, John <jsts@optonline. net> wrote:

                  I just purchased a 1982 Sabre 28 and am disappointed that it did not come with a spinnaker. I am a bit confused as to what the boat originally came with, and or what it should have. I have figured out that most Sabre 28s have an asymmetrical "Gennaker", which I believe is just a larger headsail (170%). I am wondering if anyone knows if the boat also came with a symmetrical spinnaker and a pole, and what the details and measurements would be.

                  If anyone has experience with both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers on this boat I would appreciate your input. At this time I would prefer a symmetrical spinnaker. Once I decide what I want, I will be looking for someone that is willing to sell one.

                  Thanks
                  John

                  Attachment(s) from Carter Brey

                  1 of 1 Photo(s)

                • Tommy
                  Message 9 of 9 , Nov 25, 2009
                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jsts@...> wrote:

                    > I just purchased a 1982 Sabre 28 and am disappointed that it did not come with a spinnaker. I am a bit confused as to what the boat originally came with, and or what it should have. I have figured out that most Sabre 28s have an asymmetrical "Gennaker", which I believe is just a larger headsail (170%). I am wondering if anyone knows if the boat also came with a symmetrical spinnaker and a pole, and what the details and measurements would be.
                    >
                    > If anyone has experience with both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers on this boat I would appreciate your input. At this time I would prefer a symmetrical spinnaker. Once I decide what I want, I will be looking for someone that is willing to sell one.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > John

                    The Sabre 28 came with a spinnaker package as an option. If you are exclusively cruising the boat an asymmetrical setup similar to Carter Brey's is the answer. If you ever want to race the boat or sail sail deep angles then a symmetrical spinnaker is the way to go. From a lot of experience I'd recommend a 3/4 ox AP cut spinnaker. You can pick a used one one up for $2-400 from a Tartan 10 owner, see their class website. At a minimum you will need a padeye on the mast installed 2/3rd the way up from mast base. A 60mm single block with swivel attaches to it. ^ feet of 1" T track. 1 1" spinnaker slider car. You can eliminate the need for a deck pad eye by putting a spectra loop through the forward deck cleat and attaching a single 60mm swivel block for the downhaul. You need about 50 feet of 5/16 low stretch line for the topping lift with a swivel snap shackle and about 50 feet of 5/26 low stretch line with a stainless carbiner for the downhaul. A 12.25" spinnaker pole with double bridle and you are good to go.

                    If you get a flattish cut AP spinnaker you have a lot options from a reach to a run.

                    Costs-
                    2 57MM Carbo Swivel blocks-$65.00
                    50 foot x 5/16" $38.00
                    50 foot x 5/16" #38.00
                    mast eye- $8.00
                    T-track-$36.00
                    Spinnaker car-$28.00
                    Snap shackle$25.00
                    Carbiner- $15.00
                    Plastic fairleads-$12.00
                    Cam Cleat- $24.00
                    Cam Cleat faileads- $5.00
                    Spinnaker Pole- $450
                    Spinnaker used- $300

                    $1,008 plus spinnaker sheets and snatch blocks. I have an extra set of snatch blocks and some spiinaker sheets with shackles for a reasonable price. E-mail me if you are interested.