Re: [SabreSailboat] NC Neuse River

  • Godwin Jones
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 31, 2009
      Joe:

        We sailed out of Jordan Creek off the Pungo River for 12 years in 80s and 90s.  Oracoke Island (Silver Lake) and Cape Lookout are the two mail destinations.  Just get to Oracoke before the afternoon sea breeze blows up.  In the hook at Capr Lookout, it can be like the Bahamas or it can be blowing a lot.  You can not go inside - just go out Beaufort Inlet, hang a left and sevem miles you are there.  Cedar Creek just inside Adams Creek across from Oriental is a great anchorage and Beaufort is always worth a visit (preferred over Morehead City).

        Another destination is the Pamlico River.  Very scenic in Bath Creek with a lot of history.  Washington now has redeveloped the whole waterfront and is a good place to visit.  Also can go to Ctpress Landing and Board Creek has facilities.  Belhaven is run down a bit but OK.  If really adventurous, try Rose Bay and Swanquarter.

        Bay River and Turnagain Bay offer good remote anchorages.  Water can be very rough in notheast wind around Maw Point where Pamico Sound, Bay River and Neuse come together.

        A little further afield is the Albemarle.  We cruised there this fall with free slips in Elizabeth City, Edenton and Columbia.  Also were in Manteo and Albemarle Plantation (Yeopim Creek).

        Happy sailing.

      Godwin
      Bojangles S-34-II

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
        Great stuff, I have never been into Morehead City, but 2 years ago on the way to FL I did get stuck in Beaufort over Thanksgiving due to weather. They really took care of us (all the boaters), Backstreets had a spread that was top shelf home cookin'! All provided by locals, don't tell my family but I didn't miss them........

        On the way back north I experience 30Kts NE at Maw Pt, so I can echo that point.

        Tell me more about Albemarle Plantation, looks like a nice place online. Water looks a bit skinny on the chart, is it dredged and well marked?

        thanks,
        joe

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Godwin Jones <sailbojangles@...> wrote:

        > Joe:
        >
        >   We sailed out of Jordan Creek off the Pungo River for 12 years in 80s and 90s.  Oracoke Island (Silver Lake) and Cape Lookout are the two mail destinations.  Just get to Oracoke before the afternoon sea breeze blows up.  In the hook at Capr Lookout, it can be like the Bahamas or it can be blowing a lot.  You can not go inside - just go out Beaufort Inlet, hang a left and sevem miles you are there.  Cedar Creek just inside Adams Creek across from Oriental is a great anchorage and Beaufort is always worth a visit (preferred over Morehead City).
        >
        >   Another destination is the Pamlico River.  Very scenic in Bath Creek with a lot of history.  Washington now has redeveloped the whole waterfront and is a good place to visit.  Also can go to Ctpress Landing and Board Creek has facilities.  Belhaven is run down a bit but OK.  If really adventurous, try Rose Bay and Swanquarter.
        >
        >   Bay River and Turnagain Bay offer good remote anchorages.  Water can be very rough in notheast wind around Maw Point where Pamico Sound, Bay River and Neuse come together.
        >
        >   A little further afield is the Albemarle.  We cruised there this fall with free slips in Elizabeth City, Edenton and Columbia.  Also were in Manteo and Albemarle Plantation (Yeopim Creek).
        >
        >   Happy sailing.
        >
        > Godwin
        > Bojangles S-34-II

      • Godwin Jones
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
          Albemarle Plantation is a large golf course development with mainly homes and some condos.  Beautiful but tough golf course.  Almost everyone owns a golf cart for driving around and playing.
          It is on Yeopim Creek off Yeopim River.  More water in than chart indicates - we saw no less than 7 feet.  Marina was good in that with reservation, use of a golf cart is included in price.  Staff was friendly and accommodating.  Our only problem was that a new management company had just taken over development and we were quoted a $1.50/ft with 25% off for BoatUS.  When we arrived the charge was $1.45 as best rate.  I think he really only charged $1.35 but that was more $1.125 quoted.  Not a lot of funds but a principle!
          Piers are wide enough to accomodate golf carts at slips.
          Good place to visit but I would not want to be live there - golf course too hard and sailing Albemarle is not comparable to Chesapeake.

          Godwin
          Bojangles S-34
          .........._/)
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Great stuff, I have never been into Morehead City, but 2 years ago on the way to FL I did get stuck in Beaufort over Thanksgiving due to weather. They really took care of us (all the boaters), Backstreets had a spread that was top shelf home cookin'! All provided by locals, don't tell my family but I didn't miss them........

          On the way back north I experience 30Kts NE at Maw Pt, so I can echo that point.

          Tell me more about Albemarle Plantation, looks like a nice place online. Water looks a bit skinny on the chart, is it dredged and well marked?

          thanks,
          joe

          --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, Godwin Jones <sailbojangles@ ...> wrote:

          > Joe:
          >
          >   We sailed out of Jordan Creek off the Pungo River for 12 years in 80s and 90s.  Oracoke Island (Silver Lake) and Cape Lookout are the two mail destinations.  Just get to Oracoke before the afternoon sea breeze blows up.  In the hook at Capr Lookout, it can be like the Bahamas or it can be blowing a lot.  You can not go inside - just go out Beaufort Inlet, hang a left and sevem miles you are there.  Cedar Creek just inside Adams Creek across from Oriental is a great anchorage and Beaufort is always worth a visit (preferred over Morehead City).
          >
          >   Another destination is the Pamlico River.  Very scenic in Bath Creek with a lot of history.  Washington now has redeveloped the whole waterfront and is a good place to visit.  Also can go to Ctpress Landing and Board Creek has facilities.  Belhaven is run down a bit but OK.  If really adventurous, try Rose Bay and Swanquarter.
          >
          >   Bay River and Turnagain Bay offer good remote anchorages.  Water can be very rough in notheast wind around Maw Point where Pamico Sound, Bay River and Neuse come together.
          >
          >   A little further afield is the Albemarle.  We cruised there this fall with free slips in Elizabeth City, Edenton and Columbia.  Also were in Manteo and Albemarle Plantation (Yeopim Creek).
          >
          >   Happy sailing.
          >
          > Godwin
          > Bojangles S-34-II

        • cbr_deuce
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 20, 2009
            Well, we got into River Dunes this past Wednesday. I can only say that the place is immaculate. The trip went smooth, we waited 2 days for Ida to past and headed staight from the C&D canal to Portsmouth, VA on Saturday. 30 Hours total, 8 sailing, 22 motor sailing. The Great Bridge lock had been down due to electrical problems associated with the flooding/Ida. They did get it up and running Monday at noon. The ICW had a lot floating debris but nothing that couldn't be avoided. The only time we had wind on the nose was heading out Bay River to the Neuse, which was about 1 hour. I am looking forward to early spring cruising!

            Joe

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "cbr_deuce" <cbr_deuce@...> wrote:

            > I will be wintering the boat at River Dunes on Broad Creek, anyone from that area? I'm sure I will get some cruising in in April/May any must see places land or sea for the family (2 boys 4&7).
            >
            > Joe
            > S38 MKII #174 Voila
            > Upper Chessy

          • ravp5678
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 22, 2009
              Hi Joe
              Welcome to North Carolina! It sounds like you had an exciting trip down here from the Chesapeake! And yes, you will have some early spring cruising - in fact, you can cruise year 'round down here if you wish. We've taken our boat out in December, and had a wonderful cruise down the Neuse.

              My husband and I own a Sabre 34 MKI; we have her docked behind our home, which is about a six hour (by boat) trip from River Dunes. We are about an hour via highway from there. I know that very well, because on our September trip to the Albemarle, the top tab on our headsail decided it was very tired and when we put it out to catch some wind, the tab on top broke and the whole sail dropped into the Neuse River!! We pulled the sail in and stuffed it down into the cabin and continued on our journey. When we were heading into Broad Creek to anchor for the night, we called one of our neighbors and asked him if he would go get our small jib and bring it to us - which he did. Took him about an hour to get to us, but at least we had a sail that we could use for the rest of the week we were going to be gone.

              As far as must see areas around here - Beaufort is a must; you can anchor in the creek and dinghy to the docks. Also try to get to Cape Lookout; very good anchoring in the bight. You have to go outside to get there - about six miles or so. And then there's Okracoke - lots of anchorage in Silver Lake, or, if it's open, the Federal Docks are free. And of course there's Bath, NC (our oldest city) and Washington, NC, (have to see the Estuarium)which are both up the Pamlico River. And New Bern will be celebrating it's 300th anniversary next year, so there'll be lots of things going on there.

              There are a couple other Sabre sailors down here; I've been communicating with them. One's in Oriental, and the other is up by Vandemere. So let us know when you're going to be in the area; we could possibly hook up with you.

              Hope you enjoy our waters! Hope to see you sometime.

              Rose & Henry Litke
              Wind Dancer II
              Sabre 34 MKI Hull 232
              New Bern, NC

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "cbr_deuce" <cbr_deuce@...> wrote:

              > Well, we got into River Dunes this past Wednesday. I can only say that the place is immaculate. The trip went smooth, we waited 2 days for Ida to past and headed staight from the C&D canal to Portsmouth, VA on Saturday. 30 Hours total, 8 sailing, 22 motor sailing. The Great Bridge lock had been down due to electrical problems associated with the flooding/Ida. They did get it up and running Monday at noon. The ICW had a lot floating debris but nothing that couldn't be avoided. The only time we had wind on the nose was heading out Bay River to the Neuse, which was about 1 hour. I am looking forward to early spring cruising!
              >
              > Joe
              >

              > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "cbr_deuce" <cbr_deuce@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I will be wintering the boat at River Dunes on Broad Creek, anyone from that area? I'm sure I will get some cruising in in April/May any must see places land or sea for the family (2 boys 4&7).
              > >
              > > Joe
              > > S38 MKII #174 Voila
              > > Upper Chessy

            • cbr_deuce
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 24, 2009
                Rose/Henry,

                thanks for the info, Cape Lookout is at the top of the list.

                spring can't come soon enough!

                joe