Weather clearing?

  • workshoe99
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 18, 2009
      Rain and 45 degrees?

      How about rain and 90 knot winds? We have tickets to fly down to Mazatlan to board our Sabre for the winter cruise and it looks like Hurricane Rick will be visiting that area about when we are scheduled to land. This has upset the Admiral considerably. I told her that we go down there for the adventure and this is just a twist on the same theme. So far, that has not helped to calm her down.

      Jan S38 Mk I
    • bruceheyman@cox.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 18, 2009
        Jan,
        You and I have the similar failed technique. While in a gale in the northern channel islands my comment that it was only wind and water did not help the situation.
        Bruce

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        From: "workshoe99" <workshoe99@...>
        Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 13:40:12 -0000
        To: <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [SabreSailboat] Weather clearing?

        Rain and 45 degrees?

        How about rain and 90 knot winds? We have tickets to fly down to Mazatlan to board our Sabre for the winter cruise and it looks like Hurricane Rick will be visiting that area about when we are scheduled to land. This has upset the Admiral considerably. I told her that we go down there for the adventure and this is just a twist on the same theme. So far, that has not helped to calm her down.

        Jan S38 Mk I

      • diane_mikeb
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 18, 2009
          Jan, Hurricane Rick does not look happy .... how secure is your Sabre in the marina/slip? Will you even be able to fly in? I'm with your Admiral on this one - a "twist on adventure" would get my Captain an eyeroll at best.

          Please be safe and keep us posted.

          Diane
          Stryker

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 18, 2009
            Jan -
            Adventure is one thing, but if I learned one thing living in Florida and Tidewater Virginia, it is that you don't screw around with hurricanes.  Rick is looking like one avoid if possible.  Stay safe,
            Pete

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 18, 2009
              You can always come to beautiful New England.

              I just came in from cleaning the Directtv dish of snow so I can watch the rest of Patriots game. Coming down at 1.5" an hour right now.

              Nasty weather on the 300 trip to/from Freeport for a LL Bean shopping trip.
              Some nice toys in the harbor and I only saw one boat being trucked the entire coast.
              Could be the weather.

              Got to go and get some gas for the generator in case we lose power from snow ladened branches coming down.

              john

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 18, 2009
                John and All,

                Thanks for the invite to see the snow. I spent my boyhood in Western NY so I think I have seen enough to last me a lifetime. Regarding the weather conditions, I guess we all have our own weather problems with which we must deal.

                With time, Rick's course and strength keeps changing so who knows what is ahead. The Mazatlan local weather has Rick in there on Wednesday so maybe it will be over when we arrive on Thursday. Tomorrow I'll call the airline and see if they will be flying or not. What happens on the east coast to commercial air travel when a storm is coming in? Do they fly in stuff like that? I've never thought about it before.

                The boat is in a slip a ways inland with her lines doubled up and all sails stowed below. I have a yacht management company who will be looking after her. They will take the dodger off if they feel they need to. It has a cockpit cover that leads down to the transome which should keep the wind from getting under the dodger. At least that is what I told myself when I left the dodger on this year. I'll let you know what we find once we get there.

                Thanks for your concern,
                Jan

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, john kalinowski <sabre32sailor@...> wrote:

                > You can always come to beautiful New England.
                >
                > I just came in from cleaning the Directtv dish of snow so I can watch the rest of Patriots game. Coming down at 1.5" an hour right now.
                >
                > Nasty weather on the 300 trip to/from Freeport for a LL Bean shopping trip.
                > Some nice toys in the harbor and I only saw one boat being trucked the entire coast.
                > Could be the weather.
                >
                > Got to go and get some gas for the generator in case we lose power from snow ladened branches coming down.
                >
                > john

              • mystic_camera
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 19, 2009
                  hey Jan

                  Have a great trip..unfortunately Tuscan Sun is on the hard already for the winter here in NE while i take care of the house and yard..both severely neglected after 2 winters south.. mind you the cold and rain has made me doubt the sanity of this decision..lol

                  ian
                  s38/II #205 Tuscan Sun

                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "workshoe99" <workshoe99@...> wrote:

                  > Rain and 45 degrees?
                  >
                  > How about rain and 90 knot winds? We have tickets to fly down to Mazatlan to board our Sabre for the winter cruise and it looks like Hurricane Rick will be visiting that area about when we are scheduled to land. This has upset the Admiral considerably. I told her that we go down there for the adventure and this is just a twist on the same theme. So far, that has not helped to calm her down.
                  >
                  > Jan S38 Mk I

                • Bill Blalock
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 19, 2009
                    Saw a few boats sailing off of Annapolis this morning.  36 degrees and five knots from the NW.

                    Bill B

                    On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:30 AM, mystic_camera <mystic_camera@...> wrote:

                    hey Jan

                    Have a great trip..unfortunately Tuscan Sun is on the hard already for the winter here in NE while i take care of the house and yard..both severely neglected after 2 winters south.. mind you the cold and rain has made me doubt the sanity of this decision..lol

                    ian
                    s38/II #205 Tuscan Sun

                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "workshoe99" <workshoe99@...> wrote:

                    > Rain and 45 degrees?
                    >
                    > How about rain and 90 knot winds? We have tickets to fly down to Mazatlan to board our Sabre for the winter cruise and it looks like Hurricane Rick will be visiting that area about when we are scheduled to land. This has upset the Admiral considerably. I told her that we go down there for the adventure and this is just a twist on the same theme. So far, that has not helped to calm her down.
                    >
                    > Jan S38 Mk I

                  • Al Lorman
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 19, 2009

                      I was out there this afternoon; winds were up to about 10.

                      Al Lorman

                    • bluenosebob@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 19, 2009
                        Al Where was " out there " ?

                        From: "Al Lorman" <ajl@...>
                        Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 19:05:59 -0400
                        To: <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com>

                        On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:30 AM, mystic_camera <mystic_camera@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                        hey Jan

                        Have a great trip..unfortunately Tuscan Sun is on the hard already for the winter here in NE while i take care of the house and yard..both severely neglected after 2 winters south.. mind you the cold and rain has made me doubt the sanity of this decision..lol

                        ian
                        s38/II #205 Tuscan Sun

                        --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, "workshoe99" <workshoe99@. ..> wrote:

                        > Rain and 45 degrees?
                        >
                        > How about rain and 90 knot winds? We have tickets to fly down to Mazatlan to board our Sabre for the winter cruise and it looks like Hurricane Rick will be visiting that area about when we are scheduled to land. This has upset the Admiral considerably. I told her that we go down there for the adventure and this is just a twist on the same theme. So far, that has not helped to calm her down.
                        >
                        > Jan S38 Mk I

                      • Al Lorman
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 19, 2009

                          Off Annapolis.

                          I was out there this afternoon; winds were up to about 10.

                          Al Lorman

                          Saw a few boats sailing off of Annapolis this morning.  36 degrees and five knots from the NW.

                          Bill B

                          On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:30 AM, mystic_camera <mystic_camera@...> wrote:

                          hey Jan

                          Have a great trip..unfortunately Tuscan Sun is on the hard already for the winter here in NE while i take care of the house and yard..both severely neglected after 2 winters south.. mind you the cold and rain has made me doubt the sanity of this decision..lol

                          ian
                          s38/II #205 Tuscan Sun

                          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "workshoe99" <workshoe99@...> wrote:

                          > Rain and 45 degrees?
                          >
                          > How about rain and 90 knot winds? We have tickets to fly down to Mazatlan
                          to board our Sabre for the winter cruise and it looks like Hurricane Rick will be visiting that area about when we are scheduled to land. This has upset the Admiral considerably. I told her that we go down there for the adventure and this is just a twist on the same theme. So far, that has not helped to calm her down.

                          > Jan S38 Mk I

                        • Alan Baldwin
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 21, 2009
                            Jan, Are you in California, or on your way to Mexico? Today's electronic Latitude 38 contains a report from cruisers in Mazatlan. It looks like things will be calming down soon.
                            Alan.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 21, 2009
                              Hi Alan,

                              I am still in SD as I write but fly down tomorrow. All the excitment will be over. I have heard from my boat management co. that all is well and she's still afloat. The storm thankfully weakened greatly from this weekend when it had winds of 180 mph! From what I can tell at this point, the winds were 40-50 mph gusting to 70 or so. Thanks for the tip. I read "Lectronic". I'll look that lady up and probably hear her story of how the condo she was in leaked.

                              Jan