Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Centerboard cranks

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2009
      May want to check if it is getting all the way up.
      If you get muscles in the centerboard trunk:
      1. It will stop the centerboard from coming all the way up.
      2. It will hold the centerboard  tight so you think it is all the way up.

      I pulled a cluster the size of a fist that had grown over a 4 week period this summer when I did not use the boat due to illness and we had forgotten to put the board up on the prior sail.  Once gone, everything started working to spec again.
      It is an area that usually does not get antifoul paint because the board is in the way when on the hard.

      Easiest way to check is to drop the centerboard, and then dive the boat. The mucles are usally toward the aft section of the trunk where it get thin.  A opened coat hanger is easy way to scrape up in there.  Best to clean the area out at haulout with a pressure washer while the boat is still in the sling.

      john

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2010
        Hi all,
        This is an old thread, but when I hauled the boat, I found the answer. As you can read below, my centerboard was going up and down with only 14 cranks. Well, turns out it was not going down all the way, though up really was UP. That's better than the opposite problem of course.

        Anyway, when we hauled the boat, there was nothing growing or stuck int he CB trunk. The reason it would not go all the way down appears to be the thickness of the CB (and perhaps the paint on it too). It just didn't want to go.

        The yard manager suggested that come spring, we put the boat in the slings overnight, then we sand all the paint off of it, and then just put one thin coat on there, so that it will move up and down more easily. Then splash the boat first thing in the AM.

        Anyway, just thought I'd let you know what happened.
        -Jim

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2010
          Jim,

          On Flying Scots it is standard practice to shim the CB trunk by building up the trunk walls with epoxy so that the board doesn't rattle or wobble around in trunk. Is it possible that some PO did the same to keep your board from rattling?

          Dave

          On Jan 7, 2010, at 12:48 PM, josrulz_2001 wrote:

          Hi all,
          This is an old thread, but when I hauled the boat, I found the answer. As you can read below, my centerboard was going up and down with only 14 cranks. Well, turns out it was not going down all the way, though up really was UP. That's better than the opposite problem of course.

          Anyway, when we hauled the boat, there was nothing growing or stuck int he CB trunk. The reason it would not go all the way down appears to be the thickness of the CB (and perhaps the paint on it too). It just didn't want to go.

          The yard manager suggested that come spring, we put the boat in the slings overnight, then we sand all the paint off of it, and then just put one thin coat on there, so that it will move up and down more easily. Then splash the boat first thing in the AM.

          Anyway, just thought I'd let you know what happened.
          -Jim

          --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, john kalinowski <sabre32sailor@ ...> wrote:

          > May want to check if it is getting all the way up.
          > If you get muscles in the centerboard trunk:
          > 1. It will stop the centerboard from coming all the way up.
          > 2. It will hold the centerboard  tight so you think it is all the way up.
          >
          > I pulled a cluster the size of a fist that had grown over a 4 week period this summer when I did not use the boat due to illness and we had forgotten to put the board up on the prior sail.  Once gone, everything started working to spec again.
          > It is an area that usually does not get antifoul paint because the board is in the way when on the hard.
          >
          > Easiest way to check is to drop the centerboard, and then dive the boat. The mucles are usally toward the aft section of the trunk where it get thin.  A opened coat hanger is easy way to scrape up in there.  Best to clean the area out at haulout with a pressure washer while the boat is still in the sling.
          >
          > john

        • josrulz_2001
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2010
            It's entirely possible. I have to tell you, I've never heard the CB rattling around in the trunk, though I've been suspecting that's because it hasn't been down all the way. Do Sabre CB's rattle at all when they're up?

            In spring I'll get a good look up there. When we hauled the boat, I was the only one there, so I had to be on board cranking the CB. So I didn't get to see anything first hand.

            In spring, I'll make sure I have help who can work the crank, and I'll get under the boat and really see what's up. It does seem odd that the CB would be that "tight" in there. Of course, even though the bottom of our boat had a barrier coat 7 years ago (so it doesn't have 26 years of paint on it), it's entirely possible the centerboard DOES have 26 years of paint on it. Seems like that could do it too.

            -Jim