Re: Engine stalls out

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
      I'm in your camp, Jeff. My S34 came to me with the 20 gallon tank about half full. It had been on the hard 2 years, and for the 4 years before that it had been a live-aboard "house" to a couple who couldn't point to a sail clew. I have NO idea how old that fuel is. I did pour a double dose of Bio-Bor into it just before getting underway the first time, but I don't know how much made it to the tank. I've burned about 8 hours on it since then, with no troubles. I've been watching the bowl on the Racor, but it's still clear. Diesel definitely lasts longer than gasoline!

      Harry
      '79 S34-1 #063
      Annapolis

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Bartlett <jhbartlett@...> wrote:

      > Shhhh!!!
      >

      > Don't tell the diesel in my tank it is only good for 3-6 months. It is going on 5 years. I did add some Sta-Bil at the end of the first season, but probably not enough according to the package.
      >

      > I did buy the fuel from a gas station with a fair amount of light duty diesel truck business, my tank had just been cleaned, and I filtered the fuel through a West Marine fuel filter funnel when putting it in the tank. The screen on the pickup tube has been removed and I replaced the Racor filter at the start of this season.
      >

      > I'm at about 1/4 tank and have been thinking of adding 5 gallons this week.
      >

      > Jeff Bartlett
      >

      > To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
      > From: mike.merriman1@...
      > Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 12:04:37 -0500
      > Subject: Re: RE: [SabreSailboat] Re: Engine stalls out
      >

      > Another issue to be aware of related to buying your fuel in out of the way marinas is that of shelf life. In addition to it either being dirty, or wet, it is likley out of spec. Diesel has a shelf life of 3-6 months from time of refinement.
      >

      > Mike Merriman
      >

      > Recent Activity
      >

      > 1
      > New MembersVisit Your Group
      >

      > Yahoo! News
      > Get it all here
      >
      > Breaking news to
      >
      > entertainment news
      >

      > Yahoo! Finance
      > It's Now Personal
      >
      > Guides, news,
      >
      > advice & more.
      >

      > Weight Management Group
      > on Yahoo! Groups
      >
      > Join the challenge
      >
      > and lose weight.
      >
      > .

      > Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you're up to on Facebook.
      > http://windowslive.com/Campaign/SocialNetworking?ocid=PID23285::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_SB_facebook:082009

    • William M. Bickley
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
        Message
        For whatever it is worth...

        When you drain your Racor and see no phase separation, add a bit of water to whatever container you used to capture what was in the bowl.  Now you should see two phases.  If you don't, what you drained from the bowl was 100% water.

        Don't ask me how I know.

        Bill