Re: [SabreSailboat] Multimeter.

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2009
      David,

      I have a couple of ~$15-20 units from Sears. Work well, have all the features I would like, came in a nice rubber case to protect it when I drop it. Which ever unit you decide upon, go to Radio Shack get some alligator clips and make up a few extension leads; handy in those situations where you need 3 hands and you only have 2.

      Dave

      On Aug 2, 2009, at 12:23 PM, David/Catherine wrote:

      We wish to upgrade our tools on board with a new multimeter. We are not electrical engineers, but like to try to do things ourselves whenever possible. Do the gurus of this site have any recommendations for a reliable, sturdy multimeter? We have one digital one that was dropped and now you cannot read the numbers and a couple of very cheap ones that do not seem to read anything properly . All,any advice gratefully accepted. Thanks. David.

    • mystic_camera
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2009
        well,

        if its simply for ohms and dc volts then i cannot in honesty recommend spending more than $20.. absolute accuracy of cheaper units may not be that great, but its relative accuracy that is important as a diagnostic tool..

        If you want a REAL upgrade, then get a clamp-on ammeter.. then at least you can measure current.. great for calculating power budgets, easy fault finding and measuring charging current...

        On my boat i have:
        clamp on ammeter (also is backup multimeter)
        multimeter (10yrs old and $20)
        led digital tachometer

        ian
        S38/II #205 "Tuscan Sun"

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "David/Catherine" <sv.solitaire1@...> wrote:

        > We wish to upgrade our tools on board with a new multimeter. We are not electrical engineers, but like to try to do things ourselves whenever possible. Do the gurus of this site have any recommendations for a reliable, sturdy multimeter? We have one digital one that was dropped and now you cannot read the numbers and a couple of very cheap ones that do not seem to read anything properly . All,any advice gratefully accepted. Thanks. David.

      • David & Catherine Allin
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2009

          Well.....  we knew that we could rely upon this group to give us good advice - very many thanks
          to all who contributed.  As an aside to Ian on "Tuscan Sun"  we saw your boat in Titusville on the
          way north to layup for the summer in Savannah - does your boat live there ?  We will be passing
          through again I suppose some time in November en route to the Bahamas again.
          Many thanks to all for your input
          --
          David & Catherine Allin
          sv.solitaire1@...