Saloon double bunk S34-I

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2009
      I'm having troubles figuring out the double bunk in the MK1 S34. The bunk folds out fine, and I have all the cushions (interestingly, we have great condition upholstery, but no foam to go in it!. The problem is the aft corner is unsupported, and I can't find any evidence that anything ever existed there.

      This is kind of important, as the boat didn't come with cushions for the forepeak, and we're trying to get things together enough to move from daysails (they are great!) to overnights as soon as the oppressive summer heat goes away (say, Sept 1).

      Any 34 users have any idea (or pictures!) what holds that end up?

      Harry
      S34-I #063
      Annapolis
    • Barry Dwyer
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2009

        I can send you a picture later, but on mine (#33) there is a leg that folds down.

        Barry

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2009
          I just re-read my post, and I've confused myself! The boat has great condition upholstery throughout, but the forepeak (ONLY the forepeak) has no foam to go in it. All the rest of the bunks are complete, including all the parts for the saloon double bunk, which is why I want to use that bunk. Hope that clears things up a bit.

          If there is a leg there, is it a fold down thing? Or is it a separate piece that I have to find or make? I don't see any screw holes or other evidence on the underside of that corner.

          Thanks

          Harry

          , --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "sailor11767" <HarryK@...> wrote:

          > I'm having troubles figuring out the double bunk in the MK1 S34. The bunk folds out fine, and I have all the cushions (interestingly, we have great condition upholstery, but no foam to go in it!. The problem is the aft corner is unsupported, and I can't find any evidence that anything ever existed there.
          >
          > This is kind of important, as the boat didn't come with cushions for the forepeak, and we're trying to get things together enough to move from daysails (they are great!) to overnights as soon as the oppressive summer heat goes away (say, Sept 1).
          >
          > Any 34 users have any idea (or pictures!) what holds that end up?
          >
          > Harry
          > S34-I #063
          > Annapolis

        • Barry Dwyer
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2009

            It is a fold down piece that is attached to the portion of the bed that folds out.

            I just re-read my post, and I've confused myself! The boat has great condition upholstery throughout, but the forepeak (ONLY the forepeak) has no foam to go in it. All the rest of the bunks are complete, including all the parts for the saloon double bunk, which is why I want to use that bunk. Hope that clears things up a bit.

            If there is a leg there, is it a fold down thing? Or is it a separate piece that I have to find or make? I don't see any screw holes or other evidence on the underside of that corner.

            Thanks

            Harry

            , --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, "sailor11767" <HarryK@...> wrote:

            > I'm having troubles figuring out the double bunk in the MK1 S34. The bunk
            folds out fine, and I have all the cushions (interestingly, we have great condition upholstery, but no foam to go in it!. The problem is the aft corner is unsupported, and I can't find any evidence that anything ever existed there.

            > This is kind of important, as the boat didn't come with cushions for the
            forepeak, and we're trying to get things together enough to move from daysails (they are great!) to overnights as soon as the oppressive summer heat goes away (say, Sept 1).

            > Any 34 users have any idea (or pictures!) what holds that end up?
            >
            > Harry
            > S34-I #063
            > Annapolis

          • Jim Schofield
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2009
              Harry,

              After the earlier string of comments on this subject I checked out our S 34 yesterday. Sure enough there's a leg screwed to the bottom of the 2nd "unfolded" piece of what will be the bedding surface. Once you completely open up the bi-fold design I'll bet you'll find it.

              Jim Schofield
              s/v "Almost Heaven"
              S-34 Mk I #180

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2009
                sailor11767 wrote:
                > I'm having troubles figuring out the double bunk in the MK1 S34. The bunk folds out fine, and I have all the cushions (interestingly, we have great condition upholstery, but no foam to go in it!. The problem is the aft corner is unsupported, and I can't find any evidence that anything ever existed there.
                >
                > This is kind of important, as the boat didn't come with cushions for the forepeak, and we're trying to get things together enough to move from daysails (they are great!) to overnights as soon as the oppressive summer heat goes away (say, Sept 1).

                Oh, I do hope you mean "Salon" rather than "Saloon"? The brass foot
                rail would look just fine, if impractical. But finding gimbaled
                spittoons is going to be a trick...
              • jonathan.myers@peco-energy.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2009

                  I see you’ve gotten some good answers, Harry, and only add that, once you’ve unfolded the starboard bunk and its forward edge rests on the bulkhead fiddle, the after/outer edge should be braced by a folding leg which is hinged to drop down (once freed from its storage toggle).

                  Jon

                  S34 MkI #094

                  Melusine

                  Swan Creek

                  I'm having troubles figuring out the double bunk in the MK1 S34. The bunk folds out fine, and I have all the cushions (interestingly, we have great condition upholstery, but no foam to go in it!. The problem is the aft corner is unsupported, and I can't find any evidence that anything ever existed there.

                  This is kind of important, as the boat didn't come with cushions for the forepeak, and we're trying to get things together enough to move from daysails (they are great!) to overnights as soon as the oppressive summer heat goes away (say, Sept 1).

                  Any 34 users have any idea (or pictures!) what holds that end up?

                  Harry
                  S34-I #063
                  Annapolis

                  ************************************************** This e-mail and any of its attachments may contain Exelon Corporation proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to the Exelon Corporation family of Companies. This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout. Thank You. **************************************************

                • sid wax
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 4, 2009
                    Out of curiosity in this regard, I have wondered how the cushions on the 28 are supposed to work. I don't have the quarterberth cushions on the boat, as I use that space for daysail storage, but I have wondered how the cushions work on the port setee when it is expanded out to make a double bunk. Does the seatback for the quarterberth somehow fill in the rest of the space on the bunk? Doesn't look like it would fit (too short and too wide).

                    Sid

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 4, 2009
                    • 1 Attachment
                    • 470 KB
                    YES the 28 has port settee cushions and the backs do fit to expand the birth.  I made mine the wonder foam stuff and it works really nicely !  Lets see if i can dig up a pix of my cushions..
                     Yeah I found my interior photo  see attachment........  Lee  fla  S-28  1982

                    Message 10 of 10 , Aug 6, 2009
                      Eureka! Wow, this was an incredibly hard problem, so very important, and the final answer was so very obvious!

                      I went down to the boat again, convinced that you all were doing some good drugs (and not even sharing...) and opened it up again. Yes, I've already done this once or twice before. Then, like before, I kneeled amidships, facing aft, and peeked under the aft inboard corner. No leg. No hinges. Not even any holes. I was prepared to ask for pictures! Then, as I got up, I happened to look forward (remember how I'm kneeling there -- forward is over my shoulder). There it is, plain as day. Fortunately it wasn't a snake, and I didn't get bit! It's 2 feet forward and 6 inches farther in from the edge where I was looking.

                      So, thanks to all that assured me it really was there, and giving me the encouragement to look one more time. Now, can we fix ALL of my problems this way?

                      Thanks again,

                      Harry