Sailing the old fashioned way

  • Gib Metcalf
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2009
      Leaving Gloucester harbor for Salem in 15 kt winds from the SW I noticed
      no water in the exhaust. Thus started a 5 hour beat to Salem. The
      first part was delightful. Racing along with reefed main and full jib
      we made Baker Island in good time. The the slow slog to windward up the
      Sound to the mooring field. Threading the mooring field with a stiff
      ebb current was particularly dicey. Just off Salem Willows I noticed
      Sleigh Ride catching a tow from another boat. Since I was busy trying
      to figure how I was going to make my mooring the old fashioned way (sans
      engine) and since the owner was busy making the tow line secure, I
      didn't send a hail over or otherwise distract him. But, John, I trust
      you made it home safely.

      Back on the mooring I checked the impeller - just fine - and confirmed I
      had raw water flow to the strainer. No problems there. But still no
      water in the exhaust. Finally I noticed the hose from the engine to the
      exhaust seemed crimped and partially collapsed. I disconnected it at
      the engine end and water spouted out as the engine cranked. So I think
      that's the culprit. Moral is to check your hoses - all of them - each
      season.

      I hope everyone enjoyed this lovely weekend. It's about time.
      Gib
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2009
        Hey Gib

        Saw you and several other 28s out on the sound.
        thought you guys had a s28 get together going on.

        I was just got to the start of Marblehead - Halifax race when my overheat alarm came on.
        A quick check of the guage comfirm it, so I shut it down. Too much depth, wind, wave action and traffic to check out the system there.

        After a couple starts I also beat it 7 miles to the opening of Beverly. It was going from 12 to 17 all afternoon.  I was going to beat up the channel, but when a buddy happened by, I snagged a tow to the club where I refired the motor for the last quarter mile. I was singlehanding so it was the safe decision.

        Turned out I had chewed up the belt and it was slipping something terrible.
        New belt this week and Sleigh RIde will be good to go.

        Glad you had a cheap fix too.