W30 overheating update

  • mapo123158
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 21, 2009
      Jim, Mike and Mike,

      Thanks for your suggestions. The impeller, belt tension and gaskets all seem to be in good shape. I replaced the thermostat- but that didn't do anything.

      The exhaust smoke gets thicker and more gray as the temperature rises.

      Mike - where did you get your water pump? Torresen Marine? I'm going to try that route.

      Mark
    • sailsabre34@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 22, 2009
        Mark,
        Just make sure you need one because this is a expensive tiny pump. I paid around $340 for this pump from Torresen Marine. Before replacing it, I loosened the belt on the pump to see if I could turn it by hand. It was a little hard to turn. I also pulled the smaller bypass water line from the thermostat housing to make sure the pump was pumping enough water.
        However, right after I performed these tests the pump just seized up and stopped working altogether.

        It was just my dumb luck that the fresh water pump broke while the westerbeke was overheating because once I replaced the pump the engine still overheated. While discussing my dilemma with a dock buddy he reminded me to check my raw water filter. The filter is above the water line and when you open it to clean it out it needs to be refilled to the top of the filter to have suction. Also replaced the gasket while you are at it because the filter needs to airtight.

        Mike
        Altomar II S34 MkII #232

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 23, 2009
          Mark:
          I had the bearing go in my waterpump. Found a place in Houston TX that rebuilds them. Cost $90.00 for the rebuild, I shipped it to them. Quick turnaround. Did good work. They work on all types of pumps.
          Web site is waterpumpkits.com. Give them a try.
          Jim Duffy
          Irish Myst

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 23, 2009
              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jim Duffy <jim.duffy28@...> wrote:

              > Mark:
              > I had the bearing go in my waterpump. Found a place in Houston TX that rebuilds them. Cost $90.00 for the rebuild, I shipped it to them. Quick turnaround. Did good work. They work on all types of pumps.
              > Web site is waterpumpkits.com. Give them a try.
              > Jim Duffy

              Correction on the web site address: www.waterpumpkit.com (there is no "s" at the end of "...kit.")

              ben kaufman, CARACOL (S36 #52)