Suggestions for replacement of traveler clam cleats?

  • josrulz_2001
    Message 1 of 42 , Jun 1, 2009
      Hi all,
      Our 1984 34-I has the stock traveler, and the control lines lead to clam cleats at the aft end of the cabin top. It appears this is the factory set up, but I really have no way of knowing.

      Problem: lines keep slipping (completely), which is just not acceptable for traveller lines. Both the traveler line and the cleats are somewhat worn.

      Solution: I'm sure I could replace with new clam cleats in the same spot and new traveler line, but I don't like the solution, but even if it grabs, it's still too easy IMHO for the line to pop out of the cleat. I would prefer something that has a more positive hold on the line--something clutch-like, but made for this purpose.

      Question: Has anyone else been presented with this problem? What piece of hardware did you replace your clam cleats with? Note that replacing my entire traveler system is not an option right now.

      I welcome your suggestions--I'm not all that familiar with hardware options yet.
      Thanks!
      -Jim

      1984 Sabre 34 Mk I, 207
      Valinor
    • Eric
      Message 42 of 42 , Jun 4, 2009
        Jim:

        That looks like the right model. I'll see if I can find a part number.

        Eric
        Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
        West River, MD