Ultimate Sole

  • vanbeckump
    Message 1 of 32 , May 31, 2009
      I sprung for this stuff but haven't used it yet. I smell a rat though. Fist was the quart of Ultimate Sole "waterless cleaner" I bought for a price so high I have pushed it put of memory. The DSM or whatever you call the health sheet included states that it is >99% Naptha. Pretty expensive Naptha. The next suspicion is that the instructions say to wet sand the final coat of finish with 220 grit. I suspect that sanding gloss polyurethane with 220 might make it not so slippery too.

      Have I paid big bucks for a non-slip technique printed on a can of ordinary polyurethane?

      Peter van Beckum
    • Dan Trainor
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 1, 2013
        Wow, great information Pete, thanks!

        On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Peter Tollini <sabre30@...> wrote:

        I've gotten to know  Daly's varnish guru in Seattle from refinishing my interior with SeaFin last year. I just asked him about the US dilemma.  He said, "That's easy - take any good polyurethane and add some boiled linseed oil to it. That will give you a softer finish. I'm sure that's how the Ultimate Sole folks did it. We've been doing that for years."
        He said 3-4 tablespoons per quart is a good place to start.  I'm going to start with a quart of poly and a scrap piece of plywood and try it plain, then after adding 2 tbsp, then more until it's right.
        So much for magic formulas.

        Pete

        On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Dave Lochner <davelochner@...> wrote:

        Before Ultimate Sole went out of business, I talked one of the owners. As he explained it, US was a polyurethane finish that was a bit softer and therefore "stickier" than modern formulations that are harder and more durable. You could probably overcoat the US with any decent quality polyurethane.

        Dave

        On Jul 1, 2013, at 9:49 AM, Dan Trainor wrote:

        What if I have to put another top coat refreasher on several years from now?  I would not have any Ulitimate Sole product left to use.  And anyway I don't know what the product is or what it is compatible with.  Maybe someone else knows.

        On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 1:14 PM, jack horner <captbluwater@...> wrote:

        I have used Ultimate Sole on my S 28 deck I just love the results , and  the stuff is bullet proof.. Yes use it as a top coat !
        To bad its not made any more..  Lee Nicholas