starboard marine lumber

  • Brooks Wright
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2009
      I'm installing a s.s. bow roller and using two pieces of Starboard
      marine lumber (1/2" thick) to fill the 1" gap between the bottom of the roller and the
      surface of the deck. Using a 1/4" steel backing plate under the deck. What type
      glue would be appropriate for laminating the two pieces of Starboard together (or
      is that even necessary)? (The heighth of the toe rail and aluminum plate at the bow are
      the reason for the gap)

      Brooks Wright

    • Barry Dwyer
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2009

        Brooks:

        I have only done a little work with Starboard, but since it will not rot, etc, there seems to be little need to glue it together to prevent water intrusion.  Just my $.02.

        Barry

        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2009

          There is only one adhesive that can bond Starboard and it is ridiculously expensive.  Starboard is almost always mechanically fastened. Use slightly oversized holes to permit some movement as the boards expand and shrink depending on temperature.

          Al Lorman

          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2009
            thanks Barry and Al. I agree there's no need to glue the two pieces together but
            what about bedding the bottom piece to the deck since there will be at least 5 holes.
            Using 1/2" bolts by the way.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2009
              I reread the info that came with the Starboard and I guess the only consideration
              regarding glue is that nothing sticks to it so bedding with 3M 4000 or something will
              not be a problem. It won't stick to the starboard but at least it will seal the holes where
              the bolts go through.

              Brooks

              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2009

                Sound like a plan.