Cabin Sole Blemish

  • sailormike90
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2009
      I am going to refinish the cabin sole, and there are some blemishes. They are yellowish and look like the varnish lifting off the substrate. Does the varnish need to be stripped down to laminate before re-coating?

      Mike
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2009
        sailormike90 wrote:
        > I am going to refinish the cabin sole, and there are some blemishes. They are yellowish and look like the varnish lifting off the substrate. Does the varnish need to be stripped down to laminate before re-coating?

        Where are the spots that are lifting?

        --
        Jim Starkey
        President, NimbusDB, Inc.
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2009
          Jim,

          Some are along the line where couch meets the floor in the main salon and others are around the perimeter of the planks over and adjacent the bilge.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2009
            195162@... wrote:

            > Jim,
            >
            > Some are along the line where couch meets the floor in the main salon
            > and others are around the perimeter of the planks over and adjacent
            > the bilge.

            You need to figure out why the varnish is lifting before you set about
            to refinish it. My experience has been that interior varnish doesn't
            life unless water is wicking underneath.

            If you're lucky, you have a loose water hose on one of tanks. But you
            might have a leak in the tank itself.

            How is the varnish around the mast?

            --
            Jim Starkey
            President, NimbusDB, Inc.
            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2009
              The mast area is good. I had some cleaning fluids leak from under the couch storage area, which I removed or sealed real good. The planks over the bilge had a latex backed carpet which was probably getting wet and caused blistering. I threw it out yesterday.

              Do you think I need to strip the varnish down to the veneer? I suspect they will be visible if just coated over.

              Mike

              > > Some are along the line where couch meets the floor in the
              > main salon
              > > and others are around the perimeter of the planks over and
              > adjacent
              > > the bilge.
              > >
              > You need to figure out why the varnish is lifting before you set
              > about
              > to refinish it. My experience has been that interior varnish
              > doesn't
              > life unless water is wicking underneath.
              >
              > If you're lucky, you have a loose water hose on one of tanks.
              > But you
              > might have a leak in the tank itself.
              >
              > How is the varnish around the mast?
              >
              > --
              > Jim Starkey
              > President, NimbusDB, Inc.
              > 978 526-1376

            • Dan Trainor
              Message 6 of 9 , May 1, 2009
                You may what to strip the down and re-touch up with same varnish in just those effected areas.  See how well it comes out.  Might end up with a decent match or might not.  And / Or optionally prep (light sand, clean dust with tack cloth) and give entire sole a new top coat of varnish - might help in matching newly stripped areas a bit better or might not.  Might look more uniform?   If you sand blemished areas, use 180-220 or finer - thin veneer.

                --
                Dan
              • Bill Blalock
                Message 7 of 9 , May 1, 2009
                  Mike,

                  Stripping the old varnish depends on how picky you are, how old the existing varnish is, and what the existing varnish is.  You can certainly remove the bad spots and redo, with caveats.  Coating over spots as is probably won't help, but go ahead and try one if you like.  You're going to remove it anyway if it doesn't work.

                  If you don't know what the old varnish is, you need to research what varnish types can over coat what.  Some types don't go well together.  If I remember correctly, you can over coat most of the types that might be on a boat with regular polyurethane, but check.

                  Gently scrape and/or sand the lifted, yellowed varnish off.  Sand the edges to fair, or blend, them in with the rest of the surface.  Ignore color differences, and run your fingers over the spot to make sure it's fairly smooth.  You can then wet the spot with acetone (fast drying) or water (takes awhile to dry) as a temporary color substitute for varnish, to see if the color differences are acceptable.  You will likely have lighter color where you have sanded.  If you refinish spot by spot, you will have minor color differences and surface differences, so it depends on what is acceptable to you and your boat.  You can smooth the final finish by sanding the entire sole after repair and applying a uniform topcoat.

                  Jim is a little disappointed he didn't get to tell you your mast step is rotten, but he is correct in that it seems ok.

                  One way to 'cheat' on small repairs is to dip a cloth or paper towel into varnish and dab/wipe the damaged or sanded area, and wipe the edges with a dry cloth to smooth the edges.  This is bright work apostasy, but you'll be sailing a week sooner with 100% of the wood's color and no edges or buildup, just not much gloss.  This is what I would do if it were only a few small spots, or not obvious ones.

                  Bill B

                  On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 3:21 PM, <195162@...> wrote:

                  The mast area is good. I had some cleaning fluids leak from under the couch storage area, which I removed or sealed real good. The planks over the bilge had a latex backed carpet which was probably getting wet and caused blistering. I threw it out yesterday.

                  Do you think I need to strip the varnish down to the veneer? I suspect they will be visible if just coated over.

                  Mike

                  > > Some are along the line where couch meets the floor in the
                  > main salon
                  > > and others are around the perimeter of the planks over and
                  > adjacent
                  > > the bilge.
                  > >
                  > You need to figure out why the varnish is lifting before you set
                  > about
                  > to refinish it. My experience has been that interior varnish
                  > doesn't
                  > life unless water is wicking underneath.
                  >
                  > If you're lucky, you have a loose water hose on one of tanks.
                  > But you
                  > might have a leak in the tank itself.
                  >
                  > How is the varnish around the mast?
                  >
                  > --
                  > Jim Starkey
                  > President, NimbusDB, Inc.
                  > 978 526-1376

                • Mike Merriman (Verizon)
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 1, 2009
                    Has anyone removed the eyebrow on their sabre?  If so, replaced it with something or filled the holes and left it bare?  My teak eyebrows are in really rough shape - good enough for this summer - but...

                  • R. Coerse
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 1, 2009
                      Mike,

                      I replaced the eyebrow on my 34 MK I a few years ago.  The project is documented here:  http://www.geocities.com/earlylight160/Eyebrows.html