Alternator Noise

  • Robert Marthaler
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2009
      Hi all,
      Question. Has anyone had the problem of to much 'noise' from the altenator?
      I have the Westerbeke 13 1984 with the orignal altenator and a ComNav auto pilot and it shuts down when I am running the engine. My temporary solution is to isolate the auto pilot, SS radio, Gps, and the Nexus instruments (all connected). Also I had to disconnect the combinner for the same reason.
      I have tried a compressor at the autopilot, at the panel, and at the altenator itself.
      The altenator was checked out and the OK bearings were replaced while it was in the shop. Also I replaced the compressor that is mounted on the altenator itself.
      Bob.
      Shimako S30
      Kenosha, WI

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2009
          Robert Marthaler wrote:
          > Hi all,
          > Question. Has anyone had the problem of to much 'noise' from the altenator?
          > I have the Westerbeke 13 1984 with the orignal altenator and a ComNav auto pilot and it shuts down when I am running the engine. My temporary solution is to isolate the auto pilot, SS radio, Gps, and the Nexus instruments (all connected). Also I had to disconnect the combinner for the same reason.
          > I have tried a compressor at the autopilot, at the panel, and at the altenator itself.
          > The altenator was checked out and the OK bearings were replaced while it was in the shop. Also I replaced the compressor that is mounted on the altenator itself.

          This is a long shot, but a couple of years ago I had a weird alternator
          noise that neither I nor the boat yard could isolate. The alternator
          checked out just fine, no bearing problems, full output, etc. A week
          later the problem became obvious when a spade connector finished
          breaking. Apparently the vibration started the fracture, and the noise
          was from a high frequency make and break.

          Check the spade connectors. You may have the world's only 79 cent
          alternator problem.

          --
          Jim Starkey
          President, NimbusDB, Inc.