Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Propane Tanks and stoves

Expand Messages
  • GRAHAM BROADHURST
    Daniel After due thought and consideration I had come to the same conclusion. There is a very attractive 6 diameter shiny aluminum tank available which I
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 31, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      Daniel
      After due thought and consideration I had come to the same conclusion. There is a very attractive 6" diameter shiny aluminum tank available which I figure wouldnt look too ugly. It is also a lot cheaper than the drop-in or inside mounted lockers. I want to thank you guys for your help and imput. When all is said and doen it is the safest place.
      Thanks again
      Graham

      --- On Tue, 3/31/09, Dan Trainor <daniel.trainor@...> wrote:

      From: Dan Trainor <daniel.trainor@...>
      Subject: Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Propane Tanks and stoves
      To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
      Received: Tuesday, March 31, 2009, 10:33 PM

      I would go with what alot of folks are doing these days and mount a smaller propane tank on stern rail with a nice sunbrella cover.  Inspect and/or replace all hoses / connections from tank to stove, as per normal. And as a precaution, use a good propane gas detector w/ alarm and selinoid. Close tank value as soon as your done cooking.  As alternative to larger tank on rail, you could even use coleman stove size canistors which would also serve your BBQ needs, as well.  Sailors Solutions sells a nice round white container (with openings in the bottom) that you attach to one of your rails - it holds 2 coleman size containers outside in fresh air so you don't have to worry about storing propane canisters inside a locker.  I have one mounted on my bow pulpit up high and away from everything.  Storing propane tank even in a well designed and ventilated propane locker is fine, but it still makes some of us abit nervous of the possibilty.  A propane tank outside mounted on stern rail is not the ideal look, but it is not terribily unattractive either.  My 2 cents....

      On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Charlie Hodgman <chodgmanjr@yahoo. com> wrote:
      look in the photos section under pajama girl. C


      --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, GRAHAM BROADHURST <doversabre@. ..> wrote:
      >
      > Charlie
      > I would love to see the picture.
      > Perhaps I am not computer literate enough to find it
      > Help!! Perhaps you can just attach it simply.
      > I have seen the locker you likely have.  It is on Defender and you are right -  it isnt cheap.
      > I didnt think there was enough space to fit it aft of the lazerette.
      > However it does include the bottle and gear
      > Graham
      >
      > --- On Tue, 3/31/09, Charlie Hodgman <chodgmanjr@. ..> wrote:
      >
      >
      > From: Charlie Hodgman <chodgmanjr@. ..>

      > Subject: [SabreSailboat] Re: Propane Tanks and stoves
      > To: Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com
      > Received: Tuesday, March 31, 2009, 11:53 AM
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > Graham, My 34 MkI came to me with an aftermarket propane locker installed just aft of the starboard lazarette. I've uploaded a photo that shows it. It's the small round hatch visible in the pic. Similar new propane lockers are available from defender etc. but they aren't cheap. figure $700-800 plus instalation costs. good luck. Charlie Pajama girl, S34 MkI #62
      >
      > --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, GRAHAM BROADHURST <doversabre@ ...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Jim
      > > Thank you for the imput. All of what you say is true and I understand. The original reason I removed it was because the manner it was set up was unsafe.  However there must be other Sabre 34 mk1 owners with propane and I would love to hear of their installations.
      > > I was considering a bracket on the transom/stern rail and covering with sunbrella perhaps
      > > Thanks again
      > > Regards
      > > Graham
      > >
      > > --- On Mon, 3/30/09, Jim Starkey <jstarkey@ .> wrote:
      > >
      > >
      > > From: Jim Starkey <jstarkey@ .>
      > > Subject: Re: [SabreSailboat] Propane Tanks and stoves
      > > To: Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com
      > > Received: Monday, March 30, 2009, 9:41 PM
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > > graham broadhurst wrote:
      > > > Memebers
      > > > We have Sabre 34 mk1. When we bougth the boat it had a Seaward 3 burner fixed stove and over together with a Seaward propane locker in the lazerette. I am very nervous of propane so we repalced it with an Origa twin stove and a microwave underneath.
      > > > The crew however finds this set up inconvenient and I recognise ths difficulty she has. We still have the stove, actually it is on ebay right now and taking pictures made us realise how much better than the Origa it is. I have also found the icube microwave which will do all the heating we need albeit slower. (we heat water, tinned veggies and left over pizza mostly)
      > > > My problem is the Seaward locker in the lazerette still makes me nervous. The one we had was mounted on its side so technically the propane could leak out. I have thought about building a base to at least hold it upright - then the propane, being heavier would escape from the bottom drain.
      > > > The other possibility is a bracket on the stern rail but this is unsightly. Could you guys give me some thoughts/advice
      > >
      > > Sometime in the middle of the S36 run, Sabre shifted to a universal gas
      > > locker vented top (for CNG) and bottom (for propane). This was slightly
      > > before the change over from S34 Mk I to the Mk II. There's a chance, I
      > > suppose, that your locket might have a bottom drain over the side. But
      > > let's assume not.
      > >
      > > To be legal and sane, you need a propane locker that is either sealed or
      > > drains over the side. Very possibly the locker in the lazzarette is
      > > seal and/or made to drain through the transom.
      > >
      > > Another problem you will have is that current regulations require that
      > > propane tanks have overfill prevention valves, which requires that value
      > > be higher than the tank. The S36 locker was sufficiently vertical that
      > > this wasn't (much) of a problem, unless the tank is absolutely topped
      > > off. If the locker is mounted on it's side, you could easily run into
      > > trouble with the valve. You also run the risk of injecting liquid
      > > propane into your regulator, which is definitely a no-no.
      > >
      > > So, as they say, I think you have issues.
      > >
      > > Propane is a vastly superior fuel to either alcohol or CNG, but it does
      > > require the proper equipment. Probable the two best alternatives would
      > > be a) build a proper LPG locker in your lazzarette, or b) learn to like
      > > alcohol.
      > >
      > > --
      > > Jim Starkey
      > > President, NimbusDB, Inc.
      > > 978 526-1376
      > >
      >




      --
      Dan
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.