Re: Rudder post cover sealant

  • josrulz_2001
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
      Thanks Mike, is that like the weatherstipping stuff that comes in a
      roll--something between a gasket and a regular sealant? The stuff on
      my boat was unrecognizable.
      Thanks,
      Jim

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Merriman \(Verizon\)"
      <mike.merriman1@...> wrote:

      > my 1984 32 had a gray butyl rubber sealant...
      >
      > Mike Merriman
      > 508 523 7724
      > http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemerriman

    • Mike Merriman (Verizon)
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
        don't really know - for that application you need something that won't bond - frankly a good idea might be to put a bead of silicone on the cover and let it cure before putting it back in place - will create a nice gasket without sealing the cover in place.

        Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 6:40 PM
        Subject: [SabreSailboat] Re: Rudder post cover sealant

        href="http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemerriman">http://www.linkedin .com/in/mikemerr iman

        href="mailto:Sabresailboat%40yahoogroups.com">Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com
        > Subject: [SabreSailboat] Rudder post cover sealant
        >

        > Hello, I have what appears to be the original white plastic cover
        over
        > the rudder post on my S34-I. Whatever was sealing it has
        > desintigrated. In the long term, I plan to come up with an
        alternative
        > solution like some I have seen in researching previous
        posts. But
        in
        > the short term, I need to reseal it. When I removed
        the cover, it
        was
        > difficult to tell what the desintegrated material
        originally was.

        > Was it originally sealed with an actual gasket
        of some sort? Or was
        it
        > a sealant/bedding compound? If it's the
        latter, any suggestions on
        > what to use?
        > Thanks,

        Jim

        > 1984 Sabre 34 Mk I, #207

      • josrulz_2001
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
          Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try. I think a more
          permanent solution will be needed, but for now I just want to make
          sure no more water gets in there when spring comes around.
          Thanks again,

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
            Jim,

            It has been suggested in earlier posts regarding the emergency tiller, that the proper way of removing the cover in an emergency is to smash it with the emergency tiller, kick the big pieces out of the way, and try to steer.

            When I rebed my cover I used a bead of household silicone caulk.

            Dave

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
              I would 2nd going butyl rubber.  If you have to use it, you can slam the top with the end of the emergency tiller, but 2 screws and lifting off in any lighter airs is better then having to destroy it because the silicone really does a good job.

              jhn

              Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 6:40 PM

              <mike.merriman1@ ...> wrote:

              > my 1984 32 had a gray butyl rubber sealant...
              >
              > Mike Merriman
              > 508 523 7724
              > http://www.linkedin .com/in/mikemerr iman

            • Dave Evans
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
                I ran a couple of rings of window-type rope caulk around the opening
                and put the cap back on. Hasn't leaked in four years!
                Buytl is probably the original sealant; Sabre used it for everything!
                dge
              • josrulz_2001
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
                  I suppose it matters most what works (and less what was done
                  originally), so I might try one of the several suggestions as opposed
                  to Butyl even though it was original. Silicone or the rope caulk sound
                  like the top candidates. Thanks, as always, for the help.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
                    As I thought about this last night, it occurred to me that there are two issues to address.

                    1) prevent water from entering the boat by seeping past the rudder post and into the bilge, and

                    2) prevent water from entering the core from the screw holes.

                    The rope caulking will probably work for the first problem, but I don't think I would trust it to keep water out of the core. If the rope caulk does leak a little, there is little consequence beyond a wet bilge. But, if water should enter the core through the screw hole, that would create a major problem.

                    Perhaps the solution is a belt and suspenders approach. Use some silicone caulk around the screw holes with rope caulk around the perimeter of the hole.

                    <mike.merriman1@ ...> wrote:

                    > don't really know - for that application you need something that
                    won't bond - frankly a good idea might be to put a bead of silicone
                    on the cover and let it cure before putting it back in place - will
                    create a nice gasket without sealing the cover in place.

                    > Mike Merriman
                    > 508 523 7724
                    > http://www.linkedin .com/in/mikemerr iman

                  • josrulz_2001
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
                      Thanks for the additional suggestions, Dave. I agree--need to make
                      sure the screw holes are sealed properly as well as the rudder post
                      itself.

                      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Lochner <davelochner@...>