Re: radar

  • gmuller22
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2006
      Yes Jim Starkey, Senior Software Architect, a radar mounted on a
      mizzen does look "shippy" but a mizzen mounted on a 28 does not.
      This presents a conundrum (I get so few chances to use this word).
      Several possible solutions come to mind. One could use a short
      mizzen on the 28 to mount the radar. This might have certain
      benefits, such as enabling the skipper to warm a pop-tart in his
      shirt pocket by simply turning on the radar or receiving e-mails
      directly into his brain thereby maintaining the 24/7 accessibility
      commitment to society that everyone seems to be operating in. I can
      visualize the former occurring but the latter capability is beyond
      my humble means. Perhaps some novel computer architecture imbedded
      in a chip that would somehow be wired in through the cerebellum
      might serve that purpose. I'll leave it to you to work out the
      details. If you come up with something and sell it, you can donate
      my proceeds to the campaign to saturate the coastline with wind
      generators.

      Gerard

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2006
        gmuller22 wrote:

        > Several possible solutions come to mind. One could use a short
        > mizzen on the 28 to mount the radar. This might have certain
        > benefits, such as enabling the skipper to warm a pop-tart in his
        > shirt pocket by simply turning on the radar or receiving e-mails
        > directly into his brain thereby maintaining the 24/7 accessibility
        > commitment to society that everyone seems to be operating in.

        Both objectives can be served by using a radar enabled with the email
        "pop" protocol (RFC 1939). "Pop" can also be used to transform dried
        corn kernels into yummy snack food, but most computer wireless
        implementations lack sufficient power output to pull it off, and are
        consequently consider virtually pop, almost pop, or pop inspired by a
        true story. I'm not sure a consumer grade 3.5 watt (input) radar can
        achieve the full potential of pop when applied to dry corn kernels, dry
        Linux kernels, or tarts, but email should be no problem. A upgrade to
        an Aegis class radar would certainly address the power question, and, if
        you select the Phalanx option, provide a nifty way to prevent pesky sea
        gulls from transforming your fore-deck into a poop-deck (it may be
        necessary to equip the sea gulls with transponders, available at nominal
        additional cost).

        --

        Jim Starkey
        Netfrastructure, Inc.
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2006
          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jim Starkey <jas@...> wrote:

          > gmuller22 wrote:
          >
          > > Several possible solutions come to mind. One could use a short
          > > mizzen on the 28 to mount the radar. This might have certain
          > > benefits, such as enabling the skipper to warm a pop-tart in his
          > > shirt pocket by simply turning on the radar or receiving e-mails
          > > directly into his brain thereby maintaining the 24/7
          accessibility
          > > commitment to society that everyone seems to be operating in.
          >
          > Both objectives can be served by using a radar enabled with the
          email
          > "pop" protocol (RFC 1939). "Pop" can also be used to transform
          dried
          > corn kernels into yummy snack food, but most computer wireless
          > implementations lack sufficient power output to pull it off, and
          are
          > consequently consider virtually pop, almost pop, or pop inspired
          by a
          > true story. I'm not sure a consumer grade 3.5 watt (input) radar
          can
          > achieve the full potential of pop when applied to dry corn
          kernels, dry
          > Linux kernels, or tarts, but email should be no problem. A
          upgrade to
          > an Aegis class radar would certainly address the power question,
          and, if
          > you select the Phalanx option, provide a nifty way to prevent
          pesky sea
          > gulls from transforming your fore-deck into a poop-deck (it may be
          > necessary to equip the sea gulls with transponders, available at
          nominal
          > additional cost).
          >
          > --
          >
          > Jim Starkey
          > Netfrastructure, Inc.
          > 978 526-1376

          I'm rather intrigued by the sea gull control application of an Aegis-
          class radar that you mention. I've contacted the people at
          Caterpillar and they assure me that they can provide all the power
          I'll need but it will have to be installed on a barge that I'll have
          to tow along. I've got a call in to the Zodiac people to see what
          they can provide. Meanwhile, going back to the sea gull control
          issue, there is still one question I have, does the roasted sea gull
          come with fries?

          Gerard
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2006
            gmuller22 wrote:

            > Meanwhile, going back to the sea gull control
            > issue, there is still one question I have, does the roasted sea gull
            > come with fries?

            Sorry, but they're protected sea birds and can't be eaten.

            --

            Jim Starkey, Senior Software Architect
            MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
            978 526-1376
          • yaf001
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 1, 2006

              I think you have to have a graduate degree in semiotics or classics to ask, “do you want fries with that? “

              I’m going in for my cranial cellphone implant next week. It’s a new Garmin beta prototype, with direct sitcom and GPS (the GPS antenna uses inductively coupled strands of hair) so this will obviate the need for any kind of mizzenmast, which would be curious indeed on a Sabre…..

              I’m hoping for a Firewire or USB2 port at about the level of the third cervical vertebra so that I can “network” with all the gear already aboard the boat, and sail accordingly without leaving the quarterberth, or even opening my eyes J

              Cheez People, winter does strange things to one’s imagination while awaiting the Spring Splash! Hey – it’s getting closer, for those of us in the deprived Northeast….!

              Yves

              S34 Mk II “Alphee” (44)

              1986 Sail No. 282

              > > Several possible solutions come to mind. One could use a short
              > > mizzen on the 28 to mount the radar. This might have certain
              > > benefits, such as enabling the skipper to warm a pop-tart in his
              > > shirt pocket by simply turning on the radar or receiving e-mails
              > > directly into his brain thereby maintaining the 24/7
              accessibility
              > > commitment to society that everyone seems to be operating in.
              >
              > Both objectives can be served by using a radar enabled with the
              email
              > "pop" protocol (RFC 1939).  "Pop" can also be used to transform
              dried
              > corn kernels into yummy snack food, but most computer wireless
              > implementations lack sufficient power output to pull it off, and
              are
              > consequently consider virtually pop, almost pop, or pop inspired
              by a
              > true story.  I'm not sure a consumer grade 3.5 watt (input) radar
              can
              > achieve the full potential of pop when applied to dry corn
              kernels, dry
              > Linux kernels, or tarts, but email should be no problem.  A
              upgrade to
              > an Aegis class radar would certainly address the power question,
              and, if
              > you select the Phalanx option, provide a nifty way to prevent
              pesky sea
              > gulls from transforming your fore-deck into a poop-deck (it may be
              > necessary to equip the sea gulls with transponders, available at
              nominal
              > additional cost).
              >
              > --
              >
              > Jim Starkey
              > Netfrastructure, Inc.
              > 978 526-1376

              I'm rather intrigued by the sea gull control application of an Aegis-
              class radar that you mention. I've contacted the people at
              Caterpillar and they assure me that they can provide all the power
              I'll need but it will have to be installed on a barge that I'll have
              to tow along. I've got a call in to the Zodiac people to see what
              they can provide. Meanwhile, going back to the sea gull control
              issue, there is still one question I have, does the roasted sea gull
              come with fries?

              Gerard

            • Daniel Trainor
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 1, 2006
                "Look there is a sea gull on top of the mast!!!"   "What's he doing"?"   "He is standing!!!"    "Standing"?!?"   "Yes, he is Standing!!!"  "Oh, forticate the sea gull"      Announcer:  "It's now time for the sea gull on top of you mast to blow up".    BOOOOOM.    Smoke rising.....   "Is he dead?"  ....

                Aliitle montey python cirra 1970's.  The scene was really a Pequin on top of the tele (TV).

                Dan

              • R. Coerse

                  > > Several possible solutions come to mind. One could use a short
                  > > mizzen on the 28 to mount the radar. This might have certain
                  > > benefits, such as enabling the skipper to warm a pop-tart in his
                  > > shirt pocket by simply turning on the radar or receiving e-mails
                  > > directly into his brain thereby maintaining the 24/7
                  accessibility
                  > > commitment to society that everyone seems to be operating in.
                  >
                  > Both objectives can be served by using a radar enabled with the
                  email
                  > "pop" protocol (RFC 1939).  "Pop" can also be used to transform
                  dried
                  > corn kernels into yummy snack food, but most computer wireless
                  > implementations lack sufficient power output to pull it off, and
                  are
                  > consequently consider virtually pop, almost pop, or pop inspired
                  by a
                  > true story.  I'm not sure a consumer grade 3.5 watt (input) radar
                  can
                  > achieve the full potential of pop when applied to dry corn
                  kernels, dry
                  > Linux kernels, or tarts, but email should be no problem.  A
                  upgrade to
                  > an Aegis class radar would certainly address the power question,
                  and, if
                  > you select the Phalanx option, provide a nifty way to prevent
                  pesky sea
                  > gulls from transforming your fore-deck into a poop-deck (it may be
                  > necessary to equip the sea gulls with transponders, available at
                  nominal
                  > additional cost).
                  >
                  > --
                  >
                  > Jim Starkey
                  > Netfrastructure, Inc.
                  > 978 526-1376

                  I'm rather intrigued by the sea gull control application of an Aegis-
                  class radar that you mention. I've contacted the people at
                  Caterpillar and they assure me that they can provide all the power
                  I'll need but it will have to be installed on a barge that I'll have
                  to tow along. I've got a call in to the Zodiac people to see what
                  they can provide. Meanwhile, going back to the sea gull control
                  issue, there is still one question I have, does the roasted sea gull
                  come with fries?

                  Gerard

                • Warren Kaplan
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 1, 2006
                    I'm going in for my cranial cellphone implant next week. It's a new
                    Garmin beta prototype, with direct sitcom and GPS (the GPS antenna
                    uses inductively coupled strands of hair) so this will obviate the
                    need for any kind of mizzenmast, which would be curious indeed on a
                    SabreĀ…..

                    I'm hoping for a Firewire or USB2 port at about the level of the
                    third cervical vertebra so that I can "network" with all the gear
                    already aboard the boat, and sail accordingly without leaving the
                    quarterberth, or even opening my eyes J

                    NO ! NO! NO! ....ya' can't do that my friend. Implanted electronics
                    increases the risk of corrosion from stray currents when you go o'er
                    da' side to scrape the barnacles off your prop! Then again, when they
                    install all that advanced and sophisticated electronic gadgetry from
                    your neck up, they might also consider installing a coupla' zincs
                    behind your ears!
                  • R. Coerse

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 1, 2006
                        Hello Sabre friends, Just want to let you know I've
                        been totally wasting precious time that I could have
                        used on fixing my Sabre this winter to get up a video
                        blog that will feature some of my sailing adventures
                        on my S34 "In Like Flynn". First "Sabre vlog"is a
                        quick tour of boats on the hard in Rock Hall and the
                        town itself, with an interview with Dave Macaleer just
                        back from Key West Race Race. On water adventure to
                        happen, quality to improve!
                        John aka Jimmy
                        www.jchtv.com

                        http://www.jchtv.com/
                        A vlog about craic, cocktails, travel, sailing and Philadelphia!

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Tom
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 29, 2006
                          does anyone know off hand the distance between the topping lift and
                          the back stay on a sabre 28. I am planning on installing a gimbaled
                          backstay pole and need 30 in. to install facing forward. Do I have
                          enough room?

                          Thanks

                          Tom
                        • Eric
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 29, 2006
                            You could always get a boomkicker or a hard vang and get rid of the
                            topping lift . . . .

                            Eric
                            Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                            West River, MD