Re: [SabreSailboat] Crackling sound

  • Bill Blalock
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
      Bill,

      The snap crackle pop that immediately comes to mind in southern waters is marine life.  The pops and crackles of shrimp, fish, barnacles and the like are very audible inside the boat, if the engine is not running.  They're random and comparable to something like snapping a clothespin or snapping your fingers.  Are you familiar with these marine life sounds?  Are your sounds definitely something different?  Can you hear them over the motor?

      Bill B S38mk1 #88

      On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Bill Randall <billafi@...> wrote:

      I am new to this group and am very happy to have found it. I own a
      Sabre 38 MKI hull number 55. I recently brought my boat from
      Beaufort, SC to Miami and while en route two of my fellow crew asked
      me about a crackling sound that they were hearing. At first I didn't
      hear it, but I finally did when I stuck my head low near the bilge and
      sure enough it sounded like snap crackle and pop. I have had pretty
      aggressive zinc deterioration over the last year and we thought it
      might be electrical so while we were waiting for a replacement
      freshwater pump to arrive, I re-attached the grounds and at one point
      the sound did disappear. I also asked Glenn at Sabre - he replied that
      it might be the centerboard pendant making the sound. Interestingly
      during my "ground" exploration I discovered that while everything was
      grounded to the engine, the engine itself was not grounded to the
      keelbolts as indicated in the wiring diagram for the boat. I have now
      run a ground wire to the keelbolts. I am curious if anyone else has
      had similar experiences with their boats - especially the snap,
      crackle & pop sounds.

      Thanks,

      Bill
      S38mkI

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
          Bill,

          My crew mates could hear them over the motor. I will check this
          weekend to see if they are still there. The sounds were of a constant
          sizzling type sound rather than individual pops and snaps and were
          different from the sound of the water rushing in the centerboard
          trunk. I will listen for them the next time I'm on the boat to see if
          I can be a little bit more definitive.

          Thank you,

          Bill R

          --

          Bill Randall
          AFI/Filmworks
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
            Wow, that's interesting.  Probably not shrimp.  My first move would be to disconnect the batteries when you hear it, which should narrow it down to mechanical or electrical.

            It may be bad for the alternator to disconnect the batteries if the engine is running.  Sabrelist, can/should Bill do that?

            Bill B

            --

            Bill Randall
            AFI/Filmworks

          • Leonard Bertaux
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
              Bill

              Unlike an engine equipped with an electrical system diesel engines have none so the engine is fine. The question then is whether the alternator will be affected, and the answer is yes, it could adversely affect the alternator without setting up some way to pick up the load. And most probably will fry the regulator as well. If anyone has the 12 volt doctor's book on alternators look up what he has to say about load shunts. If there is a quick and simple way to shunt the load it might be in there. I'll check my books this evening to see if there are any solutions.

              Len

              --

              Bill Randall
              AFI/Filmworks

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                Don't disconnect the battery while the engine/alternator is running, you'll blow the diodes in the regulator. Replacing the diodes will run you about $100 at an alternator repair shop if you have a standard automotive alternator.

                There is a device (a diode) called a Zap Stop which offers some protection in case the alternator is accidently disconnected from a battery while running.

                If you have a stethoscope you could use it to help track down the location of the sounds. The Car Talk boys often refer to this technique when telling callers how to locate sounds. I seem to recall that had a couple of techniques you could use instead of a stethoscope, but I can't recall what they were.  You might try their website.

                Any other clues besides the sounds? Smells? Smoke? Are things like the engine mounts secure? Is the radio picking up some kind of static? How about a water leak on to a hot manifold? A bilge pump shorting out?

                Dave

                --

                Bill Randall
                AFI/Filmworks

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                  Bill Randall wrote:
                  > I am new to this group and am very happy to have found it. I own a
                  > Sabre 38 MKI hull number 55. I recently brought my boat from
                  > Beaufort, SC to Miami and while en route two of my fellow crew asked
                  > me about a crackling sound that they were hearing. At first I didn't
                  > hear it, but I finally did when I stuck my head low near the bilge and
                  > sure enough it sounded like snap crackle and pop. I have had pretty
                  > aggressive zinc deterioration over the last year and we thought it
                  > might be electrical so while we were waiting for a replacement
                  > freshwater pump to arrive, I re-attached the grounds and at one point
                  > the sound did disappear. I also asked Glenn at Sabre - he replied that
                  > it might be the centerboard pendant making the sound. Interestingly
                  > during my "ground" exploration I discovered that while everything was
                  > grounded to the engine, the engine itself was not grounded to the
                  > keelbolts as indicated in the wiring diagram for the boat. I have now
                  > run a ground wire to the keelbolts. I am curious if anyone else has
                  > had similar experiences with their boats - especially the snap,
                  > crackle & pop sounds.

                  How about excessive wear in the centerboard pin or shot centerboard
                  bushings (I don't really know how Sabre centerboards were built -- I had
                  a fin keel and was blessedly unaware of the issues). Blaming the
                  centerboard is probably a good start.

                  --
                  Jim Starkey
                  President, NimbusDB, Inc.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                    Bill R,

                    First let me welcome you to the group.  There is a lot of knowledge to be gained from this fine collection of Sabre fans.

                    Is the sound like a scratching sound more so than a crackling sound?  I have been in waters with loads of tiny grass shrimp and it is amazing just how much noise those little critters can make, not to mention the mess they make on deck when youy weigh anchor, cuz they will be all over the anchor rode as well.

                    As far as Dave's idea of a substitute for a stethoscope is concerned you can take a long screwdriver and place the blade tightly against the area of interest and then put your ear tightly against the handle.  It will transmit the sound to your ear quite effectively.  I have used this trick many times working on engines.

                    Good luck and be sure to let us know what you find out.

                    Dick Coerse
                    "Early Light"
                    1982 Sabre 34  MK I  #160
                    Solomons, MD
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                      easy way to check centerboard pins (and they do wear out) is to crank the board up and see if the noise goes away.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 6, 2009
                        I want to thank everyone for their insights and ideas about my
                        problem. I will start exploring your ideas this weekend and I will
                        let you know what results I come up with.

                        Thanks again,

                        Bill R

                        --

                        Bill Randall
                        AFI/Filmworks
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 11, 2009
                          This weekend I searched high and low - listening through my large
                          screwdriver and I couldn't detect any sizzling. Some of the things I
                          have done my have solved it. When it was evident the centerboard was
                          in the up position which seems to rule that source out. Plus I have
                          redone the grounds and grounded the engine to the keelbolts which may
                          have helped. I will try removing that ground to see if the sound
                          returns in the next week or so.

                          I'll keep you all posted on what I find.

                          Thanks again,

                          Bill R

                          --

                          Bill Randall