Re: S34 Mk I mast step and collar

  • eburke73
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2009
      When I bought my Sabre 38MKI there was significant coring damage all
      around the mast which I had repaired. The mast step had been replaced
      by the PO.

      Over the years I came to realize that probably when the mast step
      started to fail, the mast sunk slowly into it and the tie rod pulled
      the collar down, which in turn pulled the deck down making the area
      around the mast a low spot which certainly pooled water.

      Keep an eye on the deck at the partner to make sure that you are not
      depressing the deck by overtightening the collar tie rod, and that if
      your mast step is not getting soggy allowing the mast to sink a bit
      into it.

      Hope this might save someone some deck damage.

      Ed Burke
    • josrulz_2001
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2009
        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "R. Coerse" <rcoerse@...> wrote:

        > Jim,
        >
        > Sorry, I meant to say the rod went from the MAST COLLAR to a keyway
        in
        > the mast.
        >
        > Dick

        Ahh, that makes sense. I'll look at the mast next time I'm at the
        boat, and see if I find that keyway. Thanks!
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2009
          eburke73 wrote:
          > When I bought my Sabre 38MKI there was significant coring damage all
          > around the mast which I had repaired. The mast step had been replaced
          > by the PO.
          >
          > Over the years I came to realize that probably when the mast step
          > started to fail, the mast sunk slowly into it and the tie rod pulled
          > the collar down, which in turn pulled the deck down making the area
          > around the mast a low spot which certainly pooled water.
          >
          > Keep an eye on the deck at the partner to make sure that you are not
          > depressing the deck by overtightening the collar tie rod, and that if
          > your mast step is not getting soggy allowing the mast to sink a bit
          > into it.
          >
          > Hope this might save someone some deck damage.

          I think that's a very good point. There isn't any reason to have any
          significant tension of the tie rod when not underway. Enough tension to
          keep the nut tight is perfectly sufficient.
        • Neil Russell
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2009
            Hi Jim,

            Welcome to the group.

            Where are you based, and what will the boat be named,
            so we can hail you this spring?

            --N
            "Whisper"
            S362-266
            Salem MA

            On Jan 31, 2009, at 10:23 PM, josrulz_2001 wrote:

            Hello, I'm new to the group--this is my first post. Thanks for having
            me!

            My wife and I just bought a 1984 S34 Mk I, and currently the mast is
            unstepped. I've never seen it in place, since the boat was already put
            up for the winter. Anyway, I was looking through the Sabre 34 owners
            manual (came with the boat), and there's a diagram of the mast step and
            collar that shows a stainless steel tie rod between the step and the
            collar next to the mast.

            When I look on my boat, I don't see a place at the mast step where a
            tie rod would connect. Did all S34 MkIs have this tie rod?

            I'm mostly just curious, as I learn more about our new boat. I also
            want to make sure when she's rigged in the spring that everything is
            correct.
            Thanks!
            -Jim

            1984 Sabre 34

          • Leonard Bertaux
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2009
              Jim
              The keyway is identified by a stainless steel fitting over a hole in the forward side of the mast.
              Len

              On Feb 1, 2009, at 1:53 AM, R. Coerse wrote:

              Jim,

              Some of the Sabres had the tie rod going from the mast step and then into a keyway on the forward face of the mast 2 feet or so below the cabin overhead.  Check the mast for a keyway that the stainless rod might to into.

              Dick Coerse
              "Early Light"
              1982 Sabre 34  MK I  #160
              Solomons, MD

            • josrulz_2001
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 1, 2009
                We're on the Chesapeake Bay in MD, though the boat is currently in CT.  As for the name, that's a really good question!  We're working through our list now and trying to decide.  I'll be sure to let the group know when we figure it out.
                -Jim

                1984 Sabre 34

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 1, 2009
                  Thanks Len.  The mast is in a rack about 300 feet from the boat.  I'll check for the keyway specifically when I'm at the boat next.