RE:[SabreSailboat] Re: S34 Mk I mast step and collar

  • R. Coerse
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2009
      Jim,

      Sorry, I meant to say the rod went from the MAST COLLAR to a keyway in the mast.

      Dick
    • eburke73
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1 5:08 AM
        When I bought my Sabre 38MKI there was significant coring damage all
        around the mast which I had repaired. The mast step had been replaced
        by the PO.

        Over the years I came to realize that probably when the mast step
        started to fail, the mast sunk slowly into it and the tie rod pulled
        the collar down, which in turn pulled the deck down making the area
        around the mast a low spot which certainly pooled water.

        Keep an eye on the deck at the partner to make sure that you are not
        depressing the deck by overtightening the collar tie rod, and that if
        your mast step is not getting soggy allowing the mast to sink a bit
        into it.

        Hope this might save someone some deck damage.

        Ed Burke
      • josrulz_2001
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1 8:14 AM
          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "R. Coerse" <rcoerse@...> wrote:

          > Jim,
          >
          > Sorry, I meant to say the rod went from the MAST COLLAR to a keyway
          in
          > the mast.
          >
          > Dick

          Ahh, that makes sense. I'll look at the mast next time I'm at the
          boat, and see if I find that keyway. Thanks!
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1 8:55 AM
            eburke73 wrote:
            > When I bought my Sabre 38MKI there was significant coring damage all
            > around the mast which I had repaired. The mast step had been replaced
            > by the PO.
            >
            > Over the years I came to realize that probably when the mast step
            > started to fail, the mast sunk slowly into it and the tie rod pulled
            > the collar down, which in turn pulled the deck down making the area
            > around the mast a low spot which certainly pooled water.
            >
            > Keep an eye on the deck at the partner to make sure that you are not
            > depressing the deck by overtightening the collar tie rod, and that if
            > your mast step is not getting soggy allowing the mast to sink a bit
            > into it.
            >
            > Hope this might save someone some deck damage.

            I think that's a very good point. There isn't any reason to have any
            significant tension of the tie rod when not underway. Enough tension to
            keep the nut tight is perfectly sufficient.
          • Neil Russell
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1 3:29 PM
              Hi Jim,

              Welcome to the group.

              Where are you based, and what will the boat be named,
              so we can hail you this spring?

              --N
              "Whisper"
              S362-266
              Salem MA

              On Jan 31, 2009, at 10:23 PM, josrulz_2001 wrote:

              Hello, I'm new to the group--this is my first post. Thanks for having
              me!

              My wife and I just bought a 1984 S34 Mk I, and currently the mast is
              unstepped. I've never seen it in place, since the boat was already put
              up for the winter. Anyway, I was looking through the Sabre 34 owners
              manual (came with the boat), and there's a diagram of the mast step and
              collar that shows a stainless steel tie rod between the step and the
              collar next to the mast.

              When I look on my boat, I don't see a place at the mast step where a
              tie rod would connect. Did all S34 MkIs have this tie rod?

              I'm mostly just curious, as I learn more about our new boat. I also
              want to make sure when she's rigged in the spring that everything is
              correct.
              Thanks!
              -Jim

              1984 Sabre 34

            • Leonard Bertaux
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 1 3:31 PM
                Jim
                The keyway is identified by a stainless steel fitting over a hole in the forward side of the mast.
                Len

                On Feb 1, 2009, at 1:53 AM, R. Coerse wrote:

                Jim,

                Some of the Sabres had the tie rod going from the mast step and then into a keyway on the forward face of the mast 2 feet or so below the cabin overhead.  Check the mast for a keyway that the stainless rod might to into.

                Dick Coerse
                "Early Light"
                1982 Sabre 34  MK I  #160
                Solomons, MD

              • josrulz_2001
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 1 5:16 PM
                  We're on the Chesapeake Bay in MD, though the boat is currently in CT.  As for the name, that's a really good question!  We're working through our list now and trying to decide.  I'll be sure to let the group know when we figure it out.
                  -Jim

                  1984 Sabre 34

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 1 5:23 PM
                    Thanks Len.  The mast is in a rack about 300 feet from the boat.  I'll check for the keyway specifically when I'm at the boat next.