Raw water pump worn?

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 10, 2009
      Looking for some group experience.
      After sailing in fairly heavy wind last year, I started the engine
      and no seawater came through the cooling system. I had to re-prime
      the pump by shutting the raw water seacock, and filling the system
      with water through the strainer cap. Once everything was back in
      place, it pumped fine. I replaced the impeller, but it happened
      again after again experiencing fairly heavy wind. After that, I
      always closed the seacock when the wind got high. My theory is the
      raw water intake comes out of the water, and the hose leading from
      the seacock to the strainer drains into the ocean. When the motor is
      started, the slug of air goes to the pump and it stops pumping. I
      also had trouble priming the system when I was winterizing last year.

      I pulled and disassembled the pump and strainer thinking I could
      install new seals etc. and everything would be fine. What I found is
      the brass pump shows wear on the back face from rubbing with the
      impeller and possibly from silt passing through the pump over the
      years.

      First question: Does anyone else lose the pump prime after sailing?
      Or during winterizing? My thought is the raw water system should be
      able to re-prime itself. On my S30 that I sold a couple years ago, I
      never had this problem, either while sailing or when winterizing.

      Second question: Has anyone had to replace a raw water pump do to
      wear? If so, what did it look like?

      Obviously I'm trying to get a little info before I make the hard
      decision to shell out $500 for a replacement pump.

      Much appreciated
      Jim
      S36 Osprey

        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 10, 2009
          hi Jim,

          The raw water pump should be able to prime itself if its in good
          condition...for example, when i have winterised after a haulout it
          sucks up a treat from a bucket and after splashing it starts up and
          pumps fine, both without manually priming.

          are the wind/seas a red herring here?.. I would have thought nothing
          short of an almost knockdown or flip would have kept the raw water
          intake in the water..my intake is immediately behind keel on
          centreline.
          I have been caught in gales of 4okt+, with 10-12ft seas then hit with
          a 180deg microburst causing a 60deg heel and for sure the intake
          could not have left the water.. if these dont meet your "heavy
          weather" criteria then i salute you..lol

          Are you sure there is no leak, exacerbated by vibration, punding or
          movement?.. a non-ideal but usually ok hose connection?

          my 2c, ian

          sabre 38 mk II #205 "tuscan sun"
          gettin ready for bahamas in titusville fl

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jmcgovern1@...> wrote:

          > Looking for some group experience.
          > After sailing in fairly heavy wind last year, I started the engine
          > and no seawater came through the cooling system. I had to re-prime
          > the pump by shutting the raw water seacock, and filling the system
          > with water through the strainer cap. Once everything was back in
          > place, it pumped fine. I replaced the impeller, but it happened
          > again after again experiencing fairly heavy wind. After that, I
          > always closed the seacock when the wind got high. My theory is the
          > raw water intake comes out of the water, and the hose leading from
          > the seacock to the strainer drains into the ocean. When the motor
          is
          > started, the slug of air goes to the pump and it stops pumping. I
          > also had trouble priming the system when I was winterizing last
          year.

          > I pulled and disassembled the pump and strainer thinking I could
          > install new seals etc. and everything would be fine. What I found
          is
          > the brass pump shows wear on the back face from rubbing with the
          > impeller and possibly from silt passing through the pump over the
          > years.
          >
          > First question: Does anyone else lose the pump prime after
          sailing?
          > Or during winterizing? My thought is the raw water system should
          be
          > able to re-prime itself. On my S30 that I sold a couple years ago,
          > never had this problem, either while sailing or when winterizing.
          >
          > Second question: Has anyone had to replace a raw water pump do to
          > wear? If so, what did it look like?
          >
          > Obviously I'm trying to get a little info before I make the hard
          > decision to shell out $500 for a replacement pump.
          >

          > Much appreciated
          > Jim
          > S36 Osprey

        • Alan Baldwin

            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 10, 2009
              Thanks For The Comments Guys

              Concerning the strainer - I have a Groco ARG-500 strainer, and have
              replaced the oring seals. There is one between the cap and the
              bronze body, and another between the bronze body and the plastic
              basket. I lubricated the orings with silicone based grease during
              assembly. The PO had used silicone sealant on the plastic parts, and
              I had a new oring on the cap last year, so I'm pretty sure that was
              not the issue.

              Concerning the intake location - On the 36 the inlet is close to 2
              feet from centerline on the port side. Both times this happened I
              had been heeling near 45 degrees on port tack. This might be enough
              to get the inlet out of the water. Both times I re-primed through
              the strainer, and the pump worked well afterward.

              Concerning the pump - It is a Westerbeke 33636 pump, original
              equipment on the W27A, but it is fitted with a speedseal cover. I
              think the W33A has the same pump. I took careful measurements of the
              pump body and see from .010 to .035 inches of brass material eroded
              from the inside back wall of the pump, which gives the impeller
              clearance on the sides. The boat came from the Chesapeak to New
              England about 3 years ago. I read somewhere that the Chesapeak water
              has a lot of silt, which could explain the erosion. When I bought
              the boat I found a bunch of spare parts inside, including 2 pump
              rebuild kits (new cams, covers, screws, gaskets, bearings, seals,
              etc,) which makes me think the PO was also having pump problems.

              Has anyone ever inspected the inside of their pump?

              Thanks Again
              Jim

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Alan Baldwin <sailorab1@...>
              wrote:

              > Jim, My Westerbeke 33A has a vented loop in the raw water line ( as
              reccommended in the Westerbeke installation manual) so the hose from
              the seacock to the strainer is always empty when I start the engine.
              In addition after opening the system to change the impeller or clean
              the strainer the pump always self primes again with no problem. This
              was true even when the pump had a leak through the rear water seal. I
              don't know what kind of pump you have, but I have never seen any
              significant wear of the pump body from the rubber impeller. Alan.

            • Alan Baldwin
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 10, 2009
                Jim,

                You are correct, that is the same pump, I also have the speedseal, and even after the system has been opened and filled with air it will self prime and start to flow within a few seconds of the engine starting. I rebuilt the pump about six months ago because the rear seal was leaking. As we discussed at the time, this is a known weakness of this pump, and the rear seal has been redesigned. After disassembling the pump and cleaning up the body there was no sign of wear after almost twenty years, and twenty impellers.

                So I guess your theory explains the facts, but I can't think of any way to test it without shelling out for a new pump.

                Good luck, let us know when you get it figured out. Alan.

                wrote:

                > Jim, My Westerbeke 33A has a vented loop in the raw water line ( as
                reccommended in the Westerbeke installation manual) so the hose from
                the seacock to the strainer is always empty when I start the engine.
                In addition after opening the system to change the impeller or clean
                the strainer the pump always self primes again with no problem. This
                was true even when the pump had a leak through the rear water seal. I
                don't know what kind of pump you have, but I have never seen any
                significant wear of the pump body from the rubber impeller. Alan.

              • R. Coerse
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 10, 2009
                  Jim,

                  In 2001 the seals in my #33636 pump went so I purchased a rebuild kit as well as a new pump.  Since I was underway on a 700 mile trip and did not wish to rebuild the pump on board I installed the new pump and saved the rebuild job till I was home and able to use my workshop.  I now have a spare pump which I keep aboard should I ever need it.  At the time (2001) the rebuild kit was approx $80 and the new #33636 pump was $260.

                  Westerbeke now lists the replacement pump for the old #33636 as #48080 and the cost from Hansen Marine is $396.  I don't know if this is a "new and improved" version or if they just changed part numbers.  It might be worth a call to Hansen Marine  (800) 343-0480

                  Good luck !!!

                  Dick Coerse
                  "Early Light"
                  1982 Sabre 34  MK I  #160
                  Solomons, MD
                • David Evans
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 10, 2009
                    It is a different pump; our W27A was upgraded to it by the PO. Has an
                    O-ring, so that aspect of a SpeedSeal is lost. But the tiny nuts are still
                    back there, so got a SpeedSeal anyway. Still need pliers to start the
                    thumbscrews!

                    dge

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 10, 2009
                      Jim

                      I destoryed a brand new impeller last year when we were knocked down by a 60+ knt wind and the boat rolled and stayed on it's side for 3-4 minutes (could not get the genny furled).
                      3 of the vanes were toast.  Being on teh side meant the prop was spinning in the air and the stainer was out of the water.

                      Replacing the gaskets on the strainer is also good advice.  That cork is toast by now.

                      When sailing, you will hear the proper paddle wheeling (in and out of the water) before you lose suction provided the rest of the system is leak proof.

                      I have rebuilt the westerbeke pumps. They are pretty simple systems.  One thing you may wish to check is the shaft seals to ensure the one on the water side is still intact. Else you will see water out the weep hole. These seals should be replaced every couple of years anyways and are short money compared to letting sea water drip into the oil sump.  Had a buddy destory a Universal diesel this way.  $23 versus 12,000.   Choice is yours.

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 10, 2009
                        I have one of each pump  ( I carry a full pump ready to go just in case).
                        The old style went end of life.

                        Differences are the casting inlet and outlet are in slightly different positions, and the center of the impeller shaft is different (but you can swap these on the impeller).  Gaskets are the same.

                        4 nuts, 2 hose clamps and it is swapped.  Biggest issue is gettign the *%$# alternator out of the way...

                        john

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 11, 2009
                          Thanks Again
                          Hansen Marine is about a mile from my house. I had called them last
                          week and they gave me the price. Another case where I thought I
                          would be replacing some small parts for small $$, but will shell out
                          substantially more. I'm glad to hear the replacement pump inlet and
                          exit pretty much line up with the old pump making the swap easier.
                          At least the problem will be solved.

                          Jim

                          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, john kalinowski
                          <sabre32sailor@...> wrote:

                          > I have one of each pump  ( I carry a full pump ready to go just in
                          case).
                          > The old style went end of life.
                          >
                          > Differences are the casting inlet and outlet are in slightly
                          different positions, and the center of the impeller shaft is
                          different (but you can swap these on the impeller).  Gaskets are the
                          same.

                          > 4 nuts, 2 hose clamps and it is swapped.  Biggest issue is gettign
                          the *%$# alternator out of the way...

                          > john

                        • Michael Sims
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 11, 2009
                            Hi Guys,
                            I found this great web showing the replacement of the raw water pump.

                            http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/impeller

                            Also, the site has great photos of the heat exchanger on a Westerbeke engine with broken impeller blade bits and zinc.

                            http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/heat_exchanger

                            I am currently having a problem with my Westerbeke W27 overheating in my 1986 Sabre MkII. The raw water pump is pumping out water OK and I already changed the thermostat on the fresh water side, but it still overheats. I probably will check the heat exchanger out  next.

                            Any ideas?

                            Mike
                            Altomar II, 86 Sabre 34 MkII #23

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 11, 2009
                              Mike

                              Check out the raw water strainer.
                              Big difference between water coming out and water flowing fast enough once you are moving with revs kept up.
                              I thought my strainer was just fine, as a look at the glass looked clean and water would flow fine on the hard.

                              What I did not understand was the crap was in the middle of the screen and not on the outside.  When I opened the top, the screen was full of weed, mussels and crap.  I also found the cork gasket on top was shot allowing air into the system.  $0.75 for a rubber spacer and 2 minutes and all was fixed.  No more problem.

                              I find the heat exchanger does not clog much. You can unbolt the end cap were the raw water inlet is to check of blades.  A lot of surface are in there.

                              <sabre32sailor@ ...> wrote:

                              > I have one of each pump  ( I carry a full pump ready to go just in
                              case).
                              > The old style went end of life.
                              >
                              > Differences are the casting inlet and outlet are in slightly
                              different positions, and the center of the impeller shaft is
                              different (but you can swap these on the impeller).  Gaskets are the
                              same.

                              > 4 nuts, 2 hose clamps and it is swapped.  Biggest issue is gettign
                              the *%$# alternator out of the way...

                              > john

                            • Michael Sims
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 11, 2009
                                John'
                                Thanks for the input. I will check the raw water filter and the gasket before I tear the heat exchanger out for inspection. Too much like work, anyways. I will pull off the end cap to see if I have any junk inside.

                                Mike
                                Altomar II 86 S-34 MkII #232

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 11, 2009

                                  Mike –

                                  I checked the HX last and should have done it first.  It was full of crud and pulverized zinc. I cleaned the tubes with a flexible wire and scooped the gunk out of the ends.  Then a flush with the hose and put the end caps back on. It was fine then.

                                  Symptoms were low water volume out the exhaust, with steam, but the engine temp stayed at 175.

                                  Pete

                                  target="_blank" rel=nofollow ymailto="mailto:Sabresailboat%40yahoogroups.com">Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com
                                  > Date: Saturday, January 10, 2009, 5:42 PM
                                  >

                                  > Jim,
                                  >
                                  > In 2001 the seals in my #33636 pump went so I purchased a rebuild
                                  kit as well as a new pump.  Since I was underway on a 700 mile trip
                                  and did not wish to rebuild the pump on board I installed the new
                                  pump and saved the rebuild job till I was home and able to use my
                                  workshop.  I now have a spare pump which I keep aboard should I ever
                                  need it.  At the time (2001) the rebuild kit was approx $80 and the
                                  new #33636 pump was $260.

                                  > Westerbeke now lists the replacement pump for the old #33636 as
                                  #48080 and the cost from Hansen Marine is $396.  I don't know if this
                                  is a "new and improved" version or if they just changed part
                                  numbers.  It might be worth a call to Hansen Marine  (800) 343-0480

                                  > Good luck !!!
                                  >
                                  > Dick Coerse
                                  > "Early Light"
                                  > 1982 Sabre 34  MK I  #160
                                  > Solomons, MD

                                • Michael Sims
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 11, 2009
                                    Peter
                                    I might clean the heat exchanger as a matter of prevention ( I have lost blades of the impeller before) but I do have a good flow of water out of the back. It still overheats.

                                    Mike
                                    Altomar II, 86 S-34 Mk II #232

                                    <sabre32sailor@ ...> wrote:

                                    > I have one of each pump  ( I carry a full pump ready to go just in
                                    case).
                                    > The old style went end of life.
                                    >
                                    > Differences are the casting inlet and outlet are in slightly
                                    different positions, and the center of the impeller shaft is
                                    different (but you can swap these on the impeller).  Gaskets are the
                                    same.

                                    > 4 nuts, 2 hose clamps and it is swapped.  Biggest issue is gettign
                                    the *%$# alternator out of the way...

                                    > john

                                  • Comcast
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 12, 2009
                                      FYI the Westerbeke pumps are generally Johnson pumps. You may be able to match your pump to the Johnson model. You'll save a good amount over parts from Hanson.

                                      Leonard Bertaux

                                      Sent from my mobile device,

                                      wrote:

                                      > Jim, My Westerbeke 33A has a vented loop in the raw water line ( as
                                      reccommended in the Westerbeke installation manual) so the hose from
                                      the seacock to the strainer is always empty when I start the engine.
                                      In addition after opening the system to change the impeller or clean
                                      the strainer the pump always self primes again with no problem. This
                                      was true even when the pump had a leak through the rear water seal. I
                                      don't know what kind of pump you have, but I have never seen any
                                      significant wear of the pump body from the rubber impeller. Alan.

                                    • R. Coerse
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 12, 2009
                                        Does anyone in the group have the Johson part number for a Westerbeke 33636 pump or for the impellers for said pump?
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 12, 2009

                                          Dick –

                                          The impeller is an 810B.  Depco Pump is a good source for pump parts.  Their catalog shows both the 33636 and the newer replacement.

                                          Pete

                                          Does anyone in the group have the Johson part number for a Westerbeke 33636 pump or for the impellers for said pump?

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jan 13, 2009
                                            look for a Globe impeller , they are made of different stuff allowing  the to run dry , with out damage !  they are blue.  There site will match your engine and pump with a replacement impeller. They last twice as long for short money ...  Works for me .. Lee S 28/1982

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jan 13, 2009
                                              Be aware. On my pump Westerbeke has used a special width slotted shaft so that the standard cross screw on the 810B impeller will not fit, it's too wide. If you find this to be the case, remove the screw from the old impeller and reuse.

                                              Leonard Bertaux

                                              Sent from my mobile device,

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jan 13, 2009
                                                R. Coerse wrote:
                                                > Jim,
                                                >
                                                > In 2001 the seals in my #33636 pump went so I purchased a rebuild kit
                                                > as well as a new pump. Since I was underway on a 700 mile trip and
                                                > did not wish to rebuild the pump on board I installed the new pump and
                                                > saved the rebuild job till I was home and able to use my workshop. I
                                                > now have a spare pump which I keep aboard should I ever need it. At
                                                > the time (2001) the rebuild kit was approx $80 and the new #33636 pump
                                                > was $260.
                                                >
                                                > Westerbeke now lists the replacement pump for the old #33636 as #48080
                                                > and the cost from Hansen Marine is $396. I don't know if this is a
                                                > "new and improved" version or if they just changed part numbers. It
                                                > might be worth a call to Hansen Marine (800) 343-0480

                                                A problem with both the original pump and rebuild kit is leaking salt
                                                water down the block and rotting out the oil pan. You can replace a
                                                fair number of pumps for the cost of pulling the engine, installing a
                                                new oil pan, and re-installing the engine (alas, this is not theoretical).
                                              • Tom
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 1, 2009
                                                  Captain
                                                  What is their web site. I looked under globe impellers and globe
                                                  marine and found many places selling them but no web site for the mfr.
                                                  Looking to find a match for my W13.

                                                  Tom

                                                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, jack horner <captbluwater@...>
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > look for a Globe impeller , they are made of different stuff
                                                  allowing  the to run dry , with out damage !  they are blue.  There
                                                  site will match your engine and pump with a replacement impeller. They
                                                  last twice as long for short money ...  Works for me .. Lee S 28/1982

                                                • Carter Brey
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 1, 2009
                                                    Tom,

                                                    Be careful; some W13's were manufactured with pump #24143; others with pump #33636. The impellers, while both 12-bladed, are different. Pump #33636 has the intake and output ports on opposite sides of the pump body, at 3 and 9 o'clock; pump #24143 has them both exiting the pump body tangentially upward.

                                                    Cordially,

                                                    Carter Brey
                                                    S28 MkII #532 "Delphine"
                                                    City Island, NY

                                                    wrote:

                                                    > look for a Globe impeller , they are made of different stuff
                                                    allowing  the to run dry , with out damage !  they are blue.  There
                                                    site will match your engine and pump with a replacement impeller. They
                                                    last twice as long for short money ...  Works for me .. Lee S 28/1982

                                                    <*> Your email settings:
                                                        Individual Email | Traditional

                                                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                                                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                                                    <*> To change settings via email:
                                                        mailto:Sabresailboat-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                                        mailto:Sabresailboat-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 1, 2009

                                                      Tom –

                                                      The company is Globe Composite Solutions.

                                                      At www.gcsmarine.com they have a cross reference tool, just have your Westerbeke P/N and you’ll be good. Once you have the Globe P/N, Defender is a good source.

                                                      Odds are you’ll need a Globe 6541.

                                                      Pete

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Feb 1, 2009
                                                        Pete,

                                                        Thanks for that link.

                                                        Tom, if you have the pump #24143 on your W13 (which is most likely), the impeller PN is 33100. That translates to Globe PN 1130.

                                                        I think I'll pick me up one of those puppies.

                                                        Best,

                                                        Carter