Re:prop pitch for Sabre 28?

  • Rick Hibbs
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 8, 2009

      My saber 28-2 (#424) is powered by a Volvo 13 hp 2 cylinder diesel.  My folding prop is:

      13”Dx12”P LH.

      I’ve had the folding prop on for so long, I’ve no idea where the original two blade fixed is. I’m pretty sure it was also 13”D (limited by hull to shaft clearance); it’s LH of course; but I can’t confirm the pitch on that one.

      Rick Hibbs

      VAMP

      Rochester, NY

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 9, 2009
        I have a Saber 28 with a three bladed fixed prop 15 inch.  Man that prop can get me off any sand bar I get myself on !  I love it . was put on by the last owner.  And when the river current is strong  I run against it at almost hull speed..  That old MD7A seems to love it .
         All florida is thin water so if you are not running aground you are not sailing .!  LEE

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 9, 2009

          I took a look at the Maxprop web site and note that they have a technical form which they will use to provide a proper maxprop for your vessel. Fill out the requested information and they will  provide a recommendation on proper pitch for your prop. If this is where you received the 26 degree recommendation I would take their advice. Then you can run the prop to verify the pitch/prop combination works well and if it doesn't adjust accordingly with a mid-season haul-out.

          Len Bertaux
          Walkabout S38 mkii

          On Jan 5, 2009, at 7:26 PM, Bill Blalock wrote:

          There should be a mark inside the prop hub that shows where the prop was set (see photo).  The prop components leave this little tell-tale wear mark after the prop has been operated for awhile.  Talk to the folks at PYI and they will take good care of you if you have questions.
          Bill B

          On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:13 AM, laterra.john <jlat5401@verizon. net> wrote:

          I am remounting a 2-blade 12" diameter feathering Max-prop on my 1977
          Sabre 28 MKII (displacement 8,000) powered by a Universal 18 hp Diesel
          with a 2:1 reduction ratio. Engine cruising rpms rated at 2600-3200
          with max 3600. The vessel is new to me (sailed it only 1 season) and
          I was unable to note previous pitch when removing the prop for
          maintenance. The max-prop manufacturer suggests 26 degrees but this
          seems high to me. Any knowledgeable comments on this interesting
          topic will be appreciated.

           <DSC00629.JPG>

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 23, 2009
            This is LEE  I need advice on a speed indicator.   I have my new pedestal and NAV POD and i need a new speed indicator.  here is the problem  i have a metal knee replacement and can't bend or kneel down to put that paddle wheel in and out all the time..  I have seen one that has NO PADDLE WHEEL  works by  sound, or light or magic !!!  Any way no moving parts and no in and out all the time..
             Does any one in the group have any idea who makes such a thing..?   Thank you LEE Nicholas   S-28  Fla

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 23, 2009
              Airmar makes the transducers for everyone:

              http://airmartechnology.com/airmar2005/ex20/RMProducts/ElectCat.asp?ProdID=68&Man=All&PageNo=131

              My knee's getting that way too!

              dge

              > This is LEE  I need advice on a speed indicator.   I have my new pedestal
              > and NAV POD and i need a new speed indicator.  here is the problem  i have
              > a metal knee replacement and can't bend or kneel down to put that paddle
              > wheel in and out all the time..  I have seen one that has NO PADDLE WHEEL
              > works by  sound, or light or magic !!!  Any way no moving parts and no in
              > and out all the time..
              >  Does any one in the group have any idea who makes such a thing..?   Thank
              > you LEE Nicholas   S-28  Fla

            • Leonard Bertaux
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 23, 2009
                Lee
                I have Brooks and Gatehouse instruments, Hydra 2000 model. The sensors all tie into a central processor. My review of their literature shows that in addition to the traditional paddle wheel transducer (which I have on my boat) there are two other speed sensors available; a sonic speed sensor and an ultrasonic speed sensor. Both of which have no moving parts.
                B&G now has a newer line of instruments, the 3000 series. I don't know but would expect they have similar choices in speed sensors.
                Len
                Walkabout S38 mkii

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 23, 2009
                  just got off the phone with South Carolinas and talked to a rep about there majic sensor !  its 500.00 alone. and they can get it to fit my existing fitting so no need to pull the boat !! So at first 500 looks bad ,  but in the end I'm on board with this deal ..  will work with any instruments I choose... and no removal of the paddle whell any more !
                  This will make me a better sailor.   The Airmar speed and temp transducer CS_4500.  They said they would configer it to fit my fiiting so I don't have to change that eather !!   Sounds good to me  .
                   Thank you guys  ,  you saved me again ... LEE

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 23, 2009
                    The non-paddle wheel transducers won't work with a paddle wheel knot meter, at least not with my ST60 according to Raymarine. They thought it might be possible to wire something up over NMEA.

                    Joe Kosheff
                    S362-261 Fogs End

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 23, 2009
                      Glad you are happy Lee.

                      I find I use the thing less and less and use the gps more and more.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 23, 2009
                        Who is South Carolinas?

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 23, 2009
                          The Airmar site claims the units work with anyone's system and
                          mentions the Ray ST-50 and 60. (I have the former.) And since there
                          appears to be an interface box, not just wires from the transducer,
                          about anything could be managed by software.
                          LEE, what instrument system are you adding this to?
                          I promised myself not to buy anything this spring, but this is a
                          yearly temptation. Our paddlewheel gets fouled almost every week.
                          The GPS is useful, but in currents like we have in Buzzards Bay,
                          speed through the water can be way different from speed over ground.
                          dge

                          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, mjkassoc@... wrote:

                          > The non-paddle wheel transducers won't work with a paddle wheel
                          knot meter,
                          > at least not with my ST60 according to Raymarine. They thought it
                          might be
                          > possible to wire something up over NMEA.
                          >
                          > Joe Kosheff
                          > S362-261 Fogs End
                          >

                          > In a message dated 01/23/09 2:43:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                          > dave@... writes:
                          >

                          > Airmar makes the transducers for everyone:

                          _http://airmartechnohttp://aihttp://airmhttp://airmartechttp://aihttp:
                          //airmht

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 23, 2009
                            Dave Evans wrote:
                            > The Airmar site claims the units work with anyone's system and
                            > mentions the Ray ST-50 and 60. (I have the former.) And since there
                            > appears to be an interface box, not just wires from the transducer,
                            > about anything could be managed by software.
                            > LEE, what instrument system are you adding this to?
                            > I promised myself not to buy anything this spring, but this is a
                            > yearly temptation. Our paddlewheel gets fouled almost every week.
                            > The GPS is useful, but in currents like we have in Buzzards Bay,
                            > speed through the water can be way different from speed over ground.
                            > dge

                            For the waves you have in Buzzards Bay, may I suggest that an altimeter
                            might be in order?
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 24, 2009
                              What sold me one this speed indicator deal was i went sailing on my friends new 35 Catliana.  The speed indicator worked fasted than the GPS , so we could see the sheet changes instantly..  Seems to me more info fasted should help me and the crew...
                                Thanks   Lee