Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Interior refinish file

  • Bill Blalock
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2009
      Thank you.  It does have those lattice doors, and it took a few tries to get them close to right.  I went so far as to hang them in the boat after the second attempt at refinishing, but after a few days of looking at them I had to admit they still sucked.  Back home they came.  For the third try, I would take one with me in the evening, sit on the back porch in a rocking chair with a cold beer, and slowly, patiently, meticulously sand and varnish.  There is no way to rush this job.  Varnishing those doors was more work than sanding them; what I should have done was buy a sprayer and spray them with the poly.  That would be faster, and probably yield a better finish.

      The worst mission creep is all the stuff you decide to take care of, besides refinishing, once the interior is out.  Uhg.

      Happy New Years to the great people on the Sabrelist, and may you have more days on the water in 2009 than in 2008.

      Bill B

      On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 11:19 PM, Jim <jmcgovern1@...> wrote:

      Holy Cow Bill -
      The picture of all the cabinetry removed scares me. Looks like a severe
      case of mission creep!
      Fantastic job though. I did a varnish job on my old S30, and am
      thinking about it for my newer 36. Does you boat have the lattice
      style salon locker doors? If so, how did you finish them? My boat has
      them and I'm afraid varnishing will be a problem.

      Thanks,
      Jim

    • R. Coerse
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2009
        Jim,

        When I refinished the teak on Early Light I used satin varnish on all large surfaces and gloss on all the trim.  The basket weave doors received gloss on the frames and satin on the woven portion.  I found the key to the basket weave portion was to apply the satin with a very dry brush.  This will require a couple of extra coats, but I think the results are worth it.  I have attached a pic, but the photo really doesn't do it justice.

        Dick Coerse
        "Early Light"
        1982 Sabre 34  MK I  #160
        Solomons, MD
      • Jim
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
          Bill & Dick -
          Thanks for the tips. I think the interior refinish will wait at least
          one more year though. My winter project this year is replacing the
          plywood sides of my dingy. I have removed the old plywood, and have
          new wood in the basement ready to cut to size then attach to the
          frame. Certainly not as satisfying as a nice interior varnish job for
          the big boat, but something that must be done.

          Jim