S 30 Transmission

  • jeffrey19672002
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2008
      Hello all,
      I have been emailing back and forth with Dave Lochner for a while now
      about trying to get the shaft seperated from the coupling that attaches
      to the transmission. I have had no luck as of yet. I was able to get
      the coupler seperated from the transmission. So it looks like I will be
      cutting the shaft and having a new one made.
      My question is " Did I damage my transmission??"
      While trying to seperate the shaft from the coupler, I used lots
      of PB Blaster, some heat, and some muscle. I am wondering if when I was
      trying to hammer the the sahft out( using a wrench against the prop,
      then hitting the wrench with a hammer, many many times)did I do any
      harm to the tranny? It appears that the tranny will not come out of
      gear. I placed it in forward when I started all of this, for some
      reason....
      Tried to put it in neutral, and it wont go. Any suggestion would be
      helpful.
      Thanks
      Jeff
      S30 Sojourn
      Syracuse, NY
    • sid wax
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2008
        Just a thought, but if you bolt the shaft back on the transmission,
        and have someone wiggle or bang the prop while you try to shift it,
        maybe it will come unstuck. I can't see where longitudinal force om
        the shaft would break anything, but it could have gotten jammed
        somehow.

        Good luck.

        Sid
        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "jeffrey19672002"

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2008
          before things get worse, I would suggest you call foley first

          http://www.foleyengines.com/

          <jeffrey19672002@ ...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          > I have been emailing back and forth with Dave Lochner for a while
          now
          > about trying to get the shaft seperated from the coupling that
          attaches
          > to the transmission. I have had no luck as of yet. I was able to
          get
          > the coupler seperated from the transmission. So it looks like I
          will be
          > cutting the shaft and having a new one made.
          > My question is " Did I damage my transmission? ?"
          > While trying to seperate the shaft from the coupler, I used
          lots
          > of PB Blaster, some heat, and some muscle. I am wondering if when I
          was
          > trying to hammer the the sahft out( using a wrench against the
          prop,
          > then hitting the wrench with a hammer, many many times)did I do any
          > harm to the tranny? It appears that the tranny will not come out of
          > gear. I placed it in forward when I started all of this, for some
          > reason....
          > Tried to put it in neutral, and it wont go. Any suggestion would be
          > helpful.
          > Thanks
          > Jeff
          > S30 Sojourn
          > Syracuse, NY

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 7, 2008
            Jeff,
            With the collar separated, you could get some longer bolts, put a
            hard material(like a socket) between the transmission and shaft
            couplings(centered on the shaft) and slowly press the shaft out of
            the coupling.