Re: [SabreSailboat] Water filter recommendation sought

  • Comcast
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 30, 2008
      John
      Ben's lead was spot on. The filters are now sold under the Campbell name. Replacement carrieges are available in 2 packs for $28. Each filter will last a full season and that's economical enough for me!

      Len

      Leonard Bertaux

      Sent from my mobile device,

      On Nov 30, 2008, at 8:22 PM, john kalinowski <sabre32sailor@...> wrote:

      Len

      In one of the only issues of DYI magaine (sister pub to Sail) they had an article on how to build your own out of pvc tube and charcoal for a fish tank. Cheap money and you can replace the charcoal for 4 bucks.

      From: Len Bertaux <lbertaux@comcast. net>
      To: Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 12:17 PM

      My point of use water filter apparently is no longer supported with filter cartridges and so I'm
      looking to replace the unit.
      A compact, read short, unit was originally provided.
      Does the group have some recommendations?
      Thanks.

    • JohnF
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 14 6:47 AM
        I stumbled upon this filter yesterday when I had the galley sink out of the boat (Sabre 34 MkII). If you remove the drawers that slide under the right side of the sink and open the open access panel under the drawers, you will find it. Fortunately based on this 4 year old thread there is still a source for them! Other "new to me" Sabre owners may want to hunt this down -- who knows the last time this thing was changed by the PO.

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Comcast <lbertaux@...> wrote:

        > John
        > Ben's lead was spot on. The filters are now sold under the Campbell
        > name. Replacement carrieges are available in 2 packs for $28. Each
        > filter will last a full season and that's economical enough for me!
        >
        > Len
        >
        > Leonard Bertaux
        >
        > Sent from my mobile device,
        >
        > On Nov 30, 2008, at 8:22 PM, john kalinowski <sabre32sailor@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > Len
        > >
        > > In one of the only issues of DYI magaine (sister pub to Sail) they
        > > had an article on how to build your own out of pvc tube and charcoal
        > > for a fish tank. Cheap money and you can replace the charcoal for 4
        > > bucks.

      • jazeratsky
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 3, 2014
          Just resurrecting this thread with a small update...

          Our 1990 38 mkII also has this water filter. It's labeled Filterite CF-4, which I now know (thanks to you all) is made by Campbell: http://service.campbellmfg.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?WEBEVENT+L09412D315C00D100C332061+M37+ENG

          I found the filters for sale at Amazon. Looks like the right thing. I just ordered a few and will let you know if it's correct: http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-RV4C4-12-Filter-Cartridge/dp/B002OULPF8

          You can also order directly from Campbell: http://service.campbellmfg.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?WEBEVENT+L09412D3B52C0B100DB52061+M37+ENG
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 3, 2014
            John
            The spun cartridges are for removing sediment. Coconut activated charcoal remove bad taste, chlorine, sulphur, etc.
            Check www.freshwatersystems.com for a possible match of the size and type you want. I use them for my home filters.
            On the boat I use a charcoal inline eternal filter on the fill hose and a Seagull (courtesy of the PO) with a separate faucet at the galley sink. You can actually drink and make coffee and tea with the water out of the Seagull.
            Pete

            On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 5:20 PM, <john@...> wrote:

            Just resurrecting this thread with a small update...

            Our 1990 38 mkII also has this water filter. It's labeled Filterite CF-4, which I now know (thanks to you all) is made by Campbell: http://service.campbellmfg.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?WEBEVENT+L09412D315C00D100C332061+M37+ENG

            I found the filters for sale at Amazon. Looks like the right thing. I just ordered a few and will let you know if it's correct: http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-RV4C4-12-Filter-Cartridge/dp/B002OULPF8

          • John Zeratsky
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 3, 2014
              The Seagull filter sounds wonderful. I'm not looking to replace the whole filter right now, just the old cartridge (which is doing more harm than good).

              According to the description on Campbell's website, this filter is designed to remove tastes, odors, and sediment: "Use the .4C4-12 compact cartridge for removal of tastes, odors and sediment in cold water.  The Diamond-Wound™ polypropylene cartridge uses activated carbon and fits all Campbell and most competitors 4" filter housings."

              Or are you suggesting that perhaps the ones I found on Amazon are not the same as the ones on Campbell's website?

              On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 4:06 PM, Peter Tollini <sabre30@...> wrote:

[...]

            • David Laino
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 3, 2014
                I recently removed this filter from the galley sink faucet line on my 38 mkII because the plastic housing itself was permeated with a sulfur odor. A new cartridge did not help. I plan to add a new filter for the pressurized side of the water system rather than just the galley cold line.

                David

                On Jan 3, 2014, at 5:20 PM, <john@...> wrote:

                Just resurrecting this thread with a small update...

                Our 1990 38 mkII also has this water filter. It's labeled Filterite CF-4, which I now know (thanks to you all) is made by Campbell: http://service.campbellmfg.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?WEBEVENT+L09412D315C00D100C332061+M37+ENG

                I found the filters for sale at Amazon. Looks like the right thing. I just ordered a few and will let you know if it's correct: http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-RV4C4-12-Filter-Cartridge/dp/B002OULPF8

              • Roger Yahoo
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 4, 2014
                  I removed my carbon filter which was just downstream of the FW pump. I found that keeping a little chlorine from city water water (or adding a little chlorine to the tanks when using the watermaker) keeps the water lines cleaner. I then use a carbon filter at the galley sink to remove the chlorine.