Ever check your anti-syphon valve?

  • mystic_camera
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2008
      So...anyway,

      There i was in Oriental, changing the exhaust hose which had blown a
      hole in the Alligator river (btw JB weld is an awesome bandaid for
      pressure hoses) when i notices the engine hoses to the anti-syphon
      valve were a little frayed and so i purchased replacement hose..

      When i was changing the hoses, i thought to myself "hmm if i suck on
      this hose i should break the syphon and pull air".. which I did, and
      i didn't..

      Now as a diesel mechanic who learns only when his boat breaks, not
      being totally sure of what i was doing, and not having parts i simply
      put it all back together and continued onwards..

      In the early hours around dawn on the trip from Charleston to
      Fernandina Beach ( a nice 24hr romp) we had been sailing on a broad
      reach in about 6ft seas and i needed to charge the batteries..

      The engine turned over sluggishly and pushed out some black water
      before it fired and immediately i put the two and two together..

      Needless to say, now $30 later and sitting in Titusville, I have just
      pulled off the anti-syphon valve and replaced it.. and yes it had
      siezed up by water sediments..

      My engine is run enough that no lasting damage will have been caused,
      but it doest seem a bad idea to pull the anti-syphon valve on an
      annual basis to check it (as I will now do).. it took all of 5mins...

      cheers, Ian