Re: Going outside from the ICW

  • mystic_camera
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2008
      hi Bill,

      There are a number of non-mindnumbing sails down and around the ICW..

      1. from the end of the alligator/pungo canal, you can sail down the
      pungo, past elizabeth city and at the mouth of the river turn LEFT
      instead of right (to follow the ICW)..
      a sail down the pamlico river to the sound and up the neuse river is
      a great day sail, though a good breeze is needed to ensure reaching
      an anchorage. we arrived at oriental 30mins after folks who came down
      the icw..but only used the engine 1hr that day :).

      1a. instead of the alligator river and ICW go to roanoke island to
      visit/stop at manteo...if winds are forcasted NE.. theres a narrow
      but deep enuf channel and a good stopver.. from here tho you can sail
      the entire length of pamlico sound in a day with a stiff breeze...no
      real anchorages tho so make sure you can get the 55nm to ocrakoake or
      the 65+ or so to around oreintal.

      2. from Beaufort, NC its 61nm to wrightsville beach.. make sure you
      come in masonboro inlet in daylight tho...it may be bumpy but a wide
      well marked channel.

      3. recommend not to go around frying pan shoals... its a long way out
      and you need decent weather..anyway, one day down the icw and you can
      get to southport and be at the cape fear inlet. From here, you can
      pick a long day, an overnight, or with winds permitting a 1-2-3 day
      passage of your choice.. i usually pick a leg to ensure a daytime
      arrival at an inlet... charleston is within a night and a day from
      here...and so ok for a solo...

      hope thats food for thought, ian

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Blalock"
      <mookiesurfs@...> wrote:

      > When I came up the ICW from FL to VA last year, it was just me and
      my three
      > small kids, so we stayed in the ditch and skipped offshore legs.
      This time
      > it looks like I'll be single handing south, hopefully in a week or
      two, so
      > I'd like some recommendations on good offshore legs that don't add
      too much
      > mileage getting in and out.
      >
      > Daysails or longer legs would both be interesting. I'll be inside
      until
      > south of Hatteras, but after that it's all fair game and any advice
      or
      > recommendations are welcome!
      >
      > Bill B
      > Surfer Girl, S38mk1 #88

    • Bill Blalock
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2008
        Thanks Ian,

        That is exactly what I was looking for.  Some nice sails, and places to sail to.  Perfect.  And I will keep John K's advice in mind, too.

        Bill B

        <mookiesurfs@...> wrote:

        > When I came up the ICW from FL to VA last year, it was just me and
        my three
        > small kids, so we stayed in the ditch and skipped offshore legs.
        This time
        > it looks like I'll be single handing south, hopefully in a week or
        two, so
        > I'd like some recommendations on good offshore legs that don't add
        too much
        > mileage getting in and out.
        >
        > Daysails or longer legs would both be interesting. I'll be inside
        until
        > south of Hatteras, but after that it's all fair game and any advice
        or
        > recommendations are welcome!
        >
        > Bill B
        > Surfer Girl, S38mk1 #88

      • Barry Dwyer
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1, 2008

          The Carib 1500 starts Monday…  Of course, singlehanded would that a tad difficult.

          <mookiesurfs@ ...> wrote:

          > When I came up the ICW from FL to VA last year, it was just me and
          my three
          > small kids, so we stayed in the ditch and skipped offshore legs.
          This time
          > it looks like I'll be single handing south, hopefully in a week or
          two, so
          > I'd like some recommendations on good offshore legs that don't add
          too much
          > mileage getting in and out.
          >
          > Daysails or longer legs would both be interesting. I'll be inside
          until
          > south of Hatteras, but after that it's all fair game and any advice
          or
          > recommendations are welcome!
          >
          > Bill B
          > Surfer Girl, S38mk1 #88

        • workshoe99
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1, 2008
            Ian, Bill:

            Are both of your boats centerboarders? How would I do with my fixed
            fin keel drawing 6.5 ft in the ICW? I did not think that was possible.
            I know, I'm on the Left Coast but I can always drean can't I? Also,
            they make trucks with rubber tires that can substitute for the Panama
            Ditch.

            Jan S38 MkI #41

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "mystic_camera"
            <mystic_camera@...> wrote:

            > hi Bill,
            >
            > There are a number of non-mindnumbing sails down and around the ICW..
            >
            > 1. from the end of the alligator/pungo canal, you can sail down the
            > pungo, past elizabeth city and at the mouth of the river turn LEFT
            > instead of right (to follow the ICW)..
            > a sail down the pamlico river to the sound and up the neuse river is
            > a great day sail, though a good breeze is needed to ensure reaching
            > an anchorage. we arrived at oriental 30mins after folks who came down
            > the icw..but only used the engine 1hr that day :).
            >
            > 1a. instead of the alligator river and ICW go to roanoke island to
            > visit/stop at manteo...if winds are forcasted NE.. theres a narrow
            > but deep enuf channel and a good stopver.. from here tho you can sail
            > the entire length of pamlico sound in a day with a stiff breeze...no
            > real anchorages tho so make sure you can get the 55nm to ocrakoake or
            > the 65+ or so to around oreintal.
            >
            > 2. from Beaufort, NC its 61nm to wrightsville beach.. make sure you
            > come in masonboro inlet in daylight tho...it may be bumpy but a wide
            > well marked channel.
            >
            > 3. recommend not to go around frying pan shoals... its a long way out
            > and you need decent weather..anyway, one day down the icw and you can
            > get to southport and be at the cape fear inlet. From here, you can
            > pick a long day, an overnight, or with winds permitting a 1-2-3 day
            > passage of your choice.. i usually pick a leg to ensure a daytime
            > arrival at an inlet... charleston is within a night and a day from
            > here...and so ok for a solo...
            >
            > hope thats food for thought, ian
            >

            > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Blalock"
            > <mookiesurfs@> wrote:
            > >
            > > When I came up the ICW from FL to VA last year, it was just me and
            > my three
            > > small kids, so we stayed in the ditch and skipped offshore legs.
            > This time
            > > it looks like I'll be single handing south, hopefully in a week or
            > two, so
            > > I'd like some recommendations on good offshore legs that don't add
            > too much
            > > mileage getting in and out.
            > >
            > > Daysails or longer legs would both be interesting. I'll be inside
            > until
            > > south of Hatteras, but after that it's all fair game and any advice
            > or
            > > recommendations are welcome!
            > >
            > > Bill B
            > > Surfer Girl, S38mk1 #88

          • mystic_camera
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 2, 2008
              Jan,

              Tuscan Sun draws 4ft 3" board up.....

              Parts of the icw would be a bit dicey for you, notably SC (though
              apparantly they have started dredging now that congress released
              funds) and the dismal swamp route...(the canal itself is a
              predictable level and can be obtained by calling the visitor centre,
              but the parts immediately below the canal are frequently around
              6ft..).

              i see full keel boats that must be 6ft draft, and tons of 5ft6"+
              vessels anchored near me.

              In reality however there is still a bunch you could do.. with
              patience and some offshore legs to bypass some areas.. that and boat
              US unlimited towing :).. another trick would be to follow a boat with
              a draft near yours.. sudden erratic steering is usually a good sign
              of light water.. and a sign to slow down and take any grounding like
              a man!..lol.. the hardest thing you will hit is sand, so a slow stop
              and reverse out is typically possible.

              for data, going south last year i ran aground three times, though
              once had me out of the channel to bypass a tug/barge (that had run
              aground)... the other two were shoals extending into the channel and
              once was predictable (if i had been paying attention)... all of these
              were in southern NC and SC.

              ian

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "workshoe99" <workshoe99@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              > >

              > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Blalock"
              > > <mookiesurfs@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > When I came up the ICW from FL to VA last year, it was just me
              and
              > > my three
              > > > small kids, so we stayed in the ditch and skipped offshore
              legs.
              > > This time
              > > > it looks like I'll be single handing south, hopefully in a week
              or
              > > two, so
              > > > I'd like some recommendations on good offshore legs that don't
              add
              > > too much
              > > > mileage getting in and out.
              > > >
              > > > Daysails or longer legs would both be interesting. I'll be
              inside
              > > until
              > > > south of Hatteras, but after that it's all fair game and any

            • eburke73
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 2, 2008
                Jan,

                We have a number of friends who have done the entire ditch with
                6'4" draft. They did not go thru the dismal swamp, but did the rest
                of the ditch. We did the whole thing in our old boat (Sabre 38MKI)
                drawing 4.5' and never ran aground south or northbound in 2006/7. We
                are currently headed south and are about 10mi N of Coinjock. Haven't
                really seen less than 10' yet. This boat draws about 6'3". We did
                touch coming out of our creek on the Chesapeake as the winds had
                blown about a foot out of the creek. We could have found a slightly
                deeper route.

                6'6" would be a challenge in the ditch, but I think you'd make
                it with a little care and watching the tides.

                Ed Burke
                SV Merlin