Re: Need a Winter Cover for Sabre 38 MK II

  • barend27
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 2, 2008
      Dave,

      Are you interested in selling her again, or are you going to fix her
      up? If you are interetsed in selling again, I may have a possible
      buyer for you.

      have a friend who bid on the boat, but did not go too high as he did
      not know too much about her. After I sent him the listing from
      Yachtworld, he was much more positive, but by then it was too
      late. :-)

      Best Regards
      //Barend

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Lochner <davelochner@...>
      wrote:

      > Jeff,
      >
      > yes, in an attempt to help out some unnamed charity by bidding up
      the
      > price, I ended up with the title to a 1977 S34.
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > On Oct 2, 2008, at 2:23 PM, jeffrey19672002 wrote:
      >
      > > Dave,
      > >
      > > Do I detect a possible new boat heading to Oswego???
      > > Jeff
      > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Lochner <davelochner@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > My experience is similar to Richard's. With a cover the
      waterline
      > > the
      > > > hull stays cleaner with less oxidation than uncovered. I store
      my
      > > boat
      > > > in a very exposed location, with the cover to the waterline the
      wind
      > > > doesn't get under the cover and destroy it.
      > > >
      > > > Dave
      > > > S30 # 52 Identity Crisis
      > > > S34 #?? TBN
      > > > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

    • jeffrey19672002
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 2, 2008
        Dave, Well just let me know if you want the info on the trucking
        company I used. They were very good, and all I had to do was to prep
        the boat for transport. As far as joining OYC. I am, and will most
        likely be a lifer at FHYC. I have been there since I was 2 weeks
        old.I grew up on a Columbia 31, then a Traten 34. I heard that there
        is going to be a OYC party on the bay in Fair Haven, from Harold
        Weisberg.
        Snowbird was just sold again this summer. Not sure where she went to.
        Good luck and just let me know if you want that info.
        Jeff
        wrote:

        > Jeff,
        >
        > Thanks. Buying a larger boat has been a plan/dream for a few
        years.
        > The plan was to buy a 34 or 36 in a couple of years refit it and
        sail
        > out the St. Lawrence and turn right. This was supposed to happen in
        > couple of years, my 403(b) permitting. Happening upon this boat
        and
        > then winning the auction was just not on this week's agenda. Then
        > there is the whole process of thinking about buying the boat for a
        > good 15 minutes or so and buying it sight unseen....
        >
        > And then there is the price. I'm almost embarrassed to let anyone
        know
        > what I paid for it. 8 years ago I sold my Tanzer 22 for the same
        money
        > (btw, it is now Snowbird and was at FHYC). But the price makes the
        > cruising dream much more possible and affordable.
        >
        > The "OH S***" part is now I have to deal with winterizing 2
        boats,
        > transporting a boat to somewhere and dealing with the repair on
        short
        > notice. And a long awaited sail to Fair Haven for a party this
        weekend
        > is abandoned. (at least the forecast sucks for sailing this
        Saturday.)

        > When its in the water, I'll be glad to give you a tour just as soon
        as
        > you join OYC. ;)
        >
        > Enough of the true confessions.... I need to find a trucker.
        >
        > Dave
        > S30 # 52 Identity Crisis
        > S34 #?? TBN
        > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario
      • neubauer0729
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 2, 2008
          Hi Dave - Congrats on the new boat. You might want to call RCR Yachts
          to get some info on truckers. They gave me a list several years ago
          when I moved my 36 from Lake Champlaign to Rochester. I called
          several and got a pretty good deal on a truck that was coming back
          our way without a load, so I was able to get a pretty good price.
          Unfortunately most truckers are most likely moving boats south at
          this time of the year. You might also want to ask about Katylin at
          that time. I am sure that they have had some experience with them.

          Richard
          Sabre 36 Seascape
          Lake Ontario

          wrote:

          > Jeff,
          >
          > Thanks. Buying a larger boat has been a plan/dream for a few
          years.
          > The plan was to buy a 34 or 36 in a couple of years refit it and
          sail
          > out the St. Lawrence and turn right. This was supposed to happen in
          > couple of years, my 403(b) permitting. Happening upon this boat
          and
          > then winning the auction was just not on this week's agenda. Then
          > there is the whole process of thinking about buying the boat for a
          > good 15 minutes or so and buying it sight unseen....
          >
          > And then there is the price. I'm almost embarrassed to let anyone
          know
          > what I paid for it. 8 years ago I sold my Tanzer 22 for the same
          money
          > (btw, it is now Snowbird and was at FHYC). But the price makes the
          > cruising dream much more possible and affordable.
          >
          > The "OH S***" part is now I have to deal with winterizing 2
          boats,
          > transporting a boat to somewhere and dealing with the repair on
          short
          > notice. And a long awaited sail to Fair Haven for a party this
          weekend
          > is abandoned. (at least the forecast sucks for sailing this
          Saturday.)

          > When its in the water, I'll be glad to give you a tour just as soon
          as
          > you join OYC. ;)
          >
          > Enough of the true confessions.... I need to find a trucker.
          >
          > Dave
          > S30 # 52 Identity Crisis
          > S34 #?? TBN
          > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario
          >
          > On Oct 2, 2008, at 2:45 PM, jeffrey19672002 wrote:
          >
          > > Well congrats anyway!!!!!!
          > > I can tell you that when we purchased SOJOURN in 1998 it cost us
          > > about $1300 to get her from Newport, RI to Fair Haven, NY. We used
          > > World Marine Transport. If you would like their info just let me
          know.
          > > I would love to see it if you get it back here.
          > > Jeff
          > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Lochner <davelochner@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Thanks I think. The boat's in Boston area. It was the one on
          eBay
          > > that
          > > > was mentioned on the list earlier this week. Just before the
          > > auction
          > > > ended I threw in a "what the hell" bid, very low, fully
          expecting
          > > > be outbid and to give a story about the boat that got away.
          Much to
          > > my
          > > > surprise the bidding stopped right after I bid and it didn't
          even
          > > > reach my max bid.
          > > >
          > > > After seeing that I won the bid, my first reaction was, "Oh
          S***,
          > > now
          > > > what do I do?" It may cost me more to get the boat to Oswego
          than
          > > > paid for it.
          > > >
          > > > Dave

        • neubauer0729
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 2, 2008
            Hi Jeff - Being a lifer at FHYC is not a bad way to go. It is one of
            the best places on the lake to spend a few days and I have always
            enjoyed the members that I have met there. This was the first year I
            can remember that we did not visit. Hope you have a great winter and
            hope to see you next season.
            Richard
            Sabre 36 Seascape
            Lake Ontario

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "jeffrey19672002"
            <jeffrey19672002@...> wrote:

            > Dave, Well just let me know if you want the info on the trucking
            > company I used. They were very good, and all I had to do was to
            prep
            > the boat for transport. As far as joining OYC. I am, and will most
            > likely be a lifer at FHYC. I have been there since I was 2 weeks
            > old.I grew up on a Columbia 31, then a Traten 34. I heard that
            there
            > is going to be a OYC party on the bay in Fair Haven, from Harold
            > Weisberg.
            > Snowbird was just sold again this summer. Not sure where she went
            to.
            > Good luck and just let me know if you want that info.
            > Jeff
            > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Lochner <davelochner@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Jeff,
            > >
            > > Thanks. Buying a larger boat has been a plan/dream for a few
            > years.
            > > The plan was to buy a 34 or 36 in a couple of years refit it and
            > sail
            > > out the St. Lawrence and turn right. This was supposed to happen
            in
            > > couple of years, my 403(b) permitting. Happening upon this boat
            > and
            > > then winning the auction was just not on this week's agenda.
            Then
            > > there is the whole process of thinking about buying the boat for
            > > good 15 minutes or so and buying it sight unseen....
            > >
            > > And then there is the price. I'm almost embarrassed to let anyone
            > know
            > > what I paid for it. 8 years ago I sold my Tanzer 22 for the same
            > money
            > > (btw, it is now Snowbird and was at FHYC). But the price makes
            the
            > > cruising dream much more possible and affordable.
            > >
            > > The "OH S***" part is now I have to deal with winterizing 2
            > boats,
            > > transporting a boat to somewhere and dealing with the repair on
            > short
            > > notice. And a long awaited sail to Fair Haven for a party this
            > weekend
            > > is abandoned. (at least the forecast sucks for sailing this
            > Saturday.)
            > >
            > > When its in the water, I'll be glad to give you a tour just as
            soon
            > as
            > > you join OYC. ;)
            > >
            > > Enough of the true confessions.... I need to find a trucker.
            > >
            > > Dave
            > > S30 # 52 Identity Crisis
            > > S34 #?? TBN
            > > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

          • Brooks Wright
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 2, 2008
              Dave,

              Congrats on the 34. Call Jocelyn Marine Services in Salisbury Mass. I'm pretty sure they could move your boat for you. (978)462-9717. Good people to work with.

              Brooks

              Thanks. Buying a larger boat has been a plan/dream for a few years. The plan was to buy a 34 or 36 in a couple of years refit it and sail out the St. Lawrence and turn right. This was supposed to happen in a couple of years, my 403(b) permitting. Happening upon this boat and then winning the auction was just not on this week's agenda. Then there is the whole process of thinking about buying the boat for a good 15 minutes or so and buying it sight unseen....

              wrote:

              > Thanks I think. The boat's in Boston area. It was the one on eBay
              that
              > was mentioned on the list earlier this week. Just before the
              auction
              > ended I threw in a "what the hell" bid, very low, fully expecting
              > be outbid and to give a story about the boat that got away. Much to
              my
              > surprise the bidding stopped right after I bid and it didn't even
              > reach my max bid.
              >
              > After seeing that I won the bid, my first reaction was, "Oh S***,
              now
              > what do I do?" It may cost me more to get the boat to Oswego than
              > paid for it.
              >
              > Dave

            • Dave Evans
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 2, 2008
                I'd also give a call to Brownell in Mattapoisett:
                http://www.brownellsystems.com/

                They build the transporters (and the orange stands). Good folks.
                Hauled us (okay, me) out in the rain last Friday morning:
                http://images.sailonset.com/IMG_1919x750.jpg

                dge

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Brooks Wright <bwright847@...>
                wrote:

                > Dave,
                >
                > Congrats on the 34. Call Jocelyn Marine Services in Salisbury Mass.
                I'm pretty sure they could move your boat for you. (978)462-9717.
                Good people to work with.

                > Brooks

                MK II
                > To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
                > Date: Thursday, October 2, 2008, 4:59 PM
                >

                > Jeff,
                >

                > Thanks. Buying a larger boat has been a plan/dream for a few years.
                The plan was to buy a 34 or 36 in a couple of years refit it and sail
                out the St. Lawrence and turn right. This was supposed to happen in a
                couple of years, my 403(b) permitting. Happening upon this boat and
                then winning the auction was just not on this week's agenda. Then
                there is the whole process of thinking about buying the boat for a
                good 15 minutes or so and buying it sight unseen....

                > And then there is the price. I'm almost embarrassed to let anyone
                know what I paid for it. 8 years ago I sold my Tanzer 22 for the same
                money (btw, it is now Snowbird and was at FHYC). But the price makes
                the cruising dream much more possible and affordable.

                > The "OH S***"  part is now I have to deal with winterizing 2 boats,
                transporting a boat to somewhere and dealing with the repair on short
                notice. And a long awaited sail to Fair Haven for a party this
                weekend is abandoned. (at least the forecast sucks for sailing this
                Saturday.)

                > When its in the water, I'll be glad to give you a tour just as soon
                as you join OYC.  ;)

                > Enough of the true confessions. ... I need to find a trucker.
                >

                > Dave
                > S30 # 52 Identity Crisis
                > S34 #??  TBN
                > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario
                >

                > On Oct 2, 2008, at 2:45 PM, jeffrey19672002 wrote:
                >

                > Well congrats anyway!!!!!!
                > I can tell you that when we purchased SOJOURN in 1998 it cost us
                > about $1300 to get her from Newport, RI to Fair Haven, NY. We used
                > World Marine Transport. If you would like their info just let me
                know.
                > I would love to see it if you get it back here.
                > Jeff
                > --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, Dave Lochner
                <davelochner@ ...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks I think. The boat's in Boston area. It was the one on eBay
                > that
                > > was mentioned on the list earlier this week. Just before the
                > auction
                > > ended I threw in a "what the hell" bid, very low, fully expecting
                > > be outbid and to give a story about the boat that got away. Much
                > my
                > > surprise the bidding stopped right after I bid and it didn't even
                > > reach my max bid.
                > >
                > > After seeing that I won the bid, my first reaction was, "Oh S***,
                > now
                > > what do I do?" It may cost me more to get the boat to Oswego than
                > > paid for it.
                > >
                > > Dave

              • Charles Sidwa
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 2, 2008
                  I used Brownell to move Chinook, my 34MK II, from Cape Cod to Chaumont, NY.  I think we paid about $3,000.00, and theyt did a great job.  We preped it.  They swore they would never move another boat up to northern NY again in the winter, so you might want to get moving.

                  Charlie

                  wrote:

                  > Dave,
                  >
                  > Congrats on the 34. Call Jocelyn Marine Services in Salisbury Mass.
                  I'm pretty sure they could move your boat for you. (978)462-9717.
                  Good people to work with.

                  > Brooks

                • Edward Flanagan
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 2, 2008
                    My 2 cents, Andrews Trucking used them going out to Seattle, Anacortes and coming back, going out in 2001, it was $4900.00  coming back in 2004 it was $3400.00 to Sodus Bay, it's down hill coming back that's the reason for the price difference. They did a great job,  coming back I gave them a 2 month window.  You can do an online quote.

                    http://www.andrewstrucking.com/

                    Brugh Sabre 34 HIN 246

                    Ed Flanagan

                    To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
                    From: ChasSidwa@...
                    Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 20:24:37 -0400
                    Subject: Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: trucking mucho gusto

                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 2, 2008
                      for boat transporters the big 2 in the boston area are Marine Trading in Marblehead and Jocelyn in Salisbury Ma.   Have used both with excellant results.  Jocelyn is ussually a bit less expensive.

                      Really bad time of year, as EVERYONE has to be out of the water by the end of the month for insurance purposes around here.

                      If you can hold off until mid Nov, you will likely get a better deal unless you can pick up a delivery they have goign the other way.

                      Regards

                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 3, 2008
                        Richard, Thanks for the compliments. I couldn't agree with you more,
                        and we are always happy to have you stop it. I saw Len, &
                        Denise "Passages" this summer. They said you were not coming, but were
                        traveling this summer. I hope to see you next year.
                        Jeff
                        S 30 SOJOURN

                        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "neubauer0729" <Neubsr@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Jeff - Being a lifer at FHYC is not a bad way to go. It is one of
                        > the best places on the lake to spend a few days and I have always
                        > enjoyed the members that I have met there. This was the first year I
                        > can remember that we did not visit. Hope you have a great winter and
                        > hope to see you next season.
                        > Richard
                        > Sabre 36 Seascape
                        > Lake Ontario
                      • cercole
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 3, 2008
                          I agree with Richard on this. The Fairclough full cover is really
                          great and was our first choice. It was just not within our cover
                          budget.

                          Good luck,
                          Christopher
                          S30 #18

                          wrote:

                          > I have a different perspective on winter covers and would recommend
                          > one that comes down below he water line, with a few vents in the
                          > upper section of the cover From the photos that were posted on the
                          > Canvas Store site it appears to me that there is an excellent
                          chance
                          > to get water, snow or ice under the cover and on the deck. In
                          > addition the hull is not protected. I am in the 8th upstate New
                          York
                          > winter with a full cover as described above with absolutely no
                          issues
                          > on my Sabre 36. It is in two pieces and fairly easy to handle. I
                          > usually clean and wax the hull each fall and when the cover comes
                          off
                          > in the spring she is ready to go after a little bottom paint. Just
                          my
                          > 2 cents. Many others in our club have this arrangement if they are
                          > storing ourside.
                          >
                          > Richard
                          > Sabre 36 Seascape
                          > Lake Ontario
                          >

                          > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "cercole" <cercole@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Tom,
                          > > Over the Summer I purchased an over the toe rail winter cover
                          from
                          > > The Canvas Store. I have not installed it yet so I cannot
                          comment
                          > as
                          > > to how it fits.
                          > >
                          > > However another boat (CAL 28) in our yard has one of their covers
                          > and
                          > > the quality was good enough to steer me to TCS for mine.
                          > >
                          > > I believe my cover is in three pieces and as I am local to TCS
                          they
                          > > said they would come over and show me how to install it.
                          > >
                          > > I'll post to the group how it all works out.
                          > >
                          > > Christopher
                          > > S30 #18
                          > >
                          > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Tollini" <pete@>
                          > > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Tom -
                          > > > I've been impressed with the Canvas Store. They did a cover for
                          > Greg
                          > > > Whalen's Sabre that met every point you made. Their show
                          prices
                          > > are pretty
                          > > > good, too. It's in two pieces, doesn't need a frame, covers the
                          > > toerails.
                          > > > Greg says it takes him @ 1hr by himself, on or off. They use
                          Top
                          > > Gun, a
                          > > > nearly indestructible synthetic fabric.
                          > > >

                          > > > *The Canvas Store*
                          > > >
                          > > > 11 Mill Dam Rd - Huntington , NY 11743
                          > > >
                          > > > Phone: (631) 549-0970 ◊ Fax: (631) 549-0977
                          > > >
                          > > > Email: info@**
                          > > >
                          > > > Pete

                          > > Explorer
                          > it.
                          > > storage.

                        • vanbeckump
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 3, 2008
                            I submitted a request for an estimate to Fairclough last fall. They
                            wanted something like $3,200 for my S-30. In the spring they had a
                            sale and offered the same for 25% off.

                            I bit at neither and so still screw together my wooden frame and cover
                            it with two canvas tarps which go beneath the waterline...the poor
                            man's do it yourself version.

                            So if you can wait you may get a deal come spring.

                            Peter Van Beckum

                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 3, 2008
                              I took the spring deal also. It was a little less a couple of years ago, but there was a 25% discount if you ordered by early May or somtieme like that.

                              Dave