Wilmington NC

  • bruceheyman@cox.net
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 22 11:40 PM
      I have an opportunity to relocate to Wilmington NC. Any input on sailing? Yacht Clubs? Marinas?
      Thanks!
      Bruce
      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
    • Barry Wilson
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 23 4:15 AM
        One can almost see the train of thought here.  Bruce is presented with an opportunity to relocate.  Before he can even get to a PC to do research, he is on the blackberry seeing if there is a place for the boat.

        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 23 5:42 AM
          We must all keep our priorities straight!

          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 23 7:01 AM
            Barry

            And your point is?  :>)

            I have turned down jobs because they were relocations to Colorado (nothing personal to locals,but lake Dillon doesn't get me my big water fix).

            Like Bruce, I have used this conference to get the lay of the land before even looking at houses, schools etc.
            I find the contributors to be of the highest moral character and always willing to help out another Sabre owner.

            Because of this,  I know where we will relocate in 5 years.
            Already working the career path to allow this to happen, and prepare for retirement.
            Using the noters on this bulletin board to get information made the decisions so much easier.

            john

            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 23 7:01 AM
              I fail to see what the problem is. There are schools, churches, houses, and watering holes in every town. But affordable marina space? A friendly YC, these can be hard to find.

              Dave

              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 23 8:56 AM
                No problem.  I was just appreciating the priorities.  I live in the Chesapeake region because I sail, not the other way around.  I grew up in land locked PA and always vowed that I could find a job near water and would settle for nothing less.
                Barry

                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 23 12:08 PM
                  Bruce -
                  We've gotten a little off track here, but Wilmington is a pretty decent sailing venue.  It's on the Cape Fear river, with access to the sounds, to the Intracoastal and to the ocean.  Unlike California, though, there are a lot of tricky shoals.  We have friends that live in town that are sailors, so let me know what questions you have.
                  One drawback - Wilmington is a geographic catcher's mitt for Atlantic Coast hurricanes.
                  Pete

                  On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 4:55 PM, <bruceheyman@...> wrote:

                  When the company moved me from Chicago to southern California we had selected and joined the YC, found a marina and placed ourselves on the wait list and contracted with a boat mover before we started looking at houses. One of the main criteria' for the latter was proximity to the boat.
                  ...Work is what we do so we can sail...

                  Bruce

                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                  From: Barry Wilson <bwilson506@...>
                  Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 04:15:01 -0700 (PDT)
                  To: <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com>

                    From: Barry Wilson <bwilson506@...>
                    Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 04:15:01 -0700 (PDT)
                    To: <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com>

                  • d.lynn.652@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 23 5:16 PM
                      We got our sailing 'start' on the Cape Fear river on a sunset cruise (scheduled between many rounds of golf) back in '02.   By the time we made it to the Atlantic (on a Hunter 36 I believe), Mike was hooked and I was seasick.  Really nice area.  We hope to sail back on our Sabre some day (and/or retire in one of the Carolinas.)

                      Diane

                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 23 6:35 PM

                        To answer your question:  There are several marinas at the Wrightsville Beach bridge over the ICW.  From there most of your sails would probably be out Masonboro Inlet into the ocean.  Up the Cape Fear to downtown Wilmington is pretty tight.  There may be some sailboats around Southport but mostly fishing boats.  We has a stern chock ripped out in marina at Bald Head Island from swells and tides in their dredged basin. My impression is not many creeks to sneak into to drop a hook. (realize my comparison is with the Chesapeake Bay).

                        Godwin

                        Bojangles

                        S-34-II

                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 23 7:25 PM
                          Bruce - I second Pete's statement. I used to travel to Wilmington
                          for work quite a bit up until 7-8 years ago. I almost took a job
                          there myself. I used to sail with a friend who had a small boat in a
                          cove in Carolina Beach, just south of Snow's cut, and southeast of
                          Wilmington itself. Nice little spot where you could take the cut to
                          the Cape Fear River on one side, but also close to an intracoastal
                          inlet to get you straight out to the Atlantic on the other side.
                          About 10 years ago they got wacked with 4 hurricanes in succession.
                          By the time the last one hit, they they were so used to them they
                          pretty much ignored it, and were back on their feet in a day or so.
                          Kinda wild.

                          Jim

                          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Tollini" <pete@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Bruce -
                          > We've gotten a little off track here, but Wilmington is a pretty
                          decent
                          > sailing venue. It's on the Cape Fear river, with access to the
                          sounds, to
                          > the Intracoastal and to the ocean. Unlike California, though,
                          there are a
                          > lot of tricky shoals. We have friends that live in town that are
                          sailors,
                          > so let me know what questions you have.
                          > One drawback - Wilmington is a geographic catcher's mitt for
                          Atlantic Coast
                          > hurricanes.
                          > Pete
                          >
                          > On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 4:55 PM, <bruceheyman@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > When the company moved me from Chicago to southern California
                          we had
                          > > selected and joined the YC, found a marina and placed ourselves
                          on the wait
                          > > list and contracted with a boat mover before we started looking
                          at houses.
                          > > One of the main criteria' for the latter was proximity to the
                          boat.
                          > > ...Work is what we do so we can sail...
                          > > Bruce
                          > >
                          > > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
                          > >
                          > > ------------------------------
                          > > *From*: Barry Wilson <bwilson506@...>
                          > > *Date*: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 04:15:01 -0700 (PDT)
                          > > *To*: <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com>
                          > > *Subject*: Re: [SabreSailboat] Wilmington NC
                          > >
                          > > One can almost see the train of thought here. Bruce is
                          presented with
                          > > an opportunity to relocate. Before he can even get to a PC to do
                          research,
                          > > he is on the blackberry seeing if there is a place for the boat.

                        • Rose
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 23 7:38 PM
                            Hi Bruce
                            Glad you're thinking of relocating to North Carolina! Welcome! We
                            moved to North Carolina 7 years ago and have loved every minute of
                            it. We live in New Bern, which is a couple hours north of
                            Wilmington (by car), but we've been to Wilmington by car and by
                            sailboat. We were transients at Seapath Marina in Wrightsville
                            Beach and they treated us very well. Thay have very nice facilities
                            and Seapath is in a very good location for getting out into the
                            ocean or heading up or down the ICW. Don't know slip prices or
                            availability. But here is a link: http://seapathmarina.com/

                            I imagine there are other Marinas in Wrightsville Beach, which is
                            where we would look if we were living in that area.

                            You'll love sailing year round; we've had some of our nicest sails
                            on the Neuse River in December and January.

                            If we can assist you in any way, please contact us back channel.
                            We'll do what we can to help.

                            Rose Litke
                            Wind Dancer II
                            S34 Mk1

                            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, bruceheyman@... wrote:

                            > I have an opportunity to relocate to Wilmington NC. Any input on
                            sailing? Yacht Clubs? Marinas?
                            > Thanks!
                            > Bruce
                            > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                          • mystic_camera
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 24 12:39 PM
                              I have passed by this area on the way south and back..
                              You can either decide to have the boat in the wilmington/Southport
                              area and sail out of the cape fear river, or alternatively you can
                              have the boat in wrightsville beach and sail out of there.

                              Wrightsville beach is very busy (a large tourist trap) and while
                              there are plenty of marinas, the traffic is heavy, the current strong
                              (around 5kts at peak under the bridge) and the normal number of
                              yahoos can make life "interesting".. I do like this spot tho as there
                              is a large anchorage basin just behind th beach.

                              There are fewer marinas in Southport and getting space may be an
                              issue, though this is most convenient for getting out of the cape
                              fear river... Southport is a real cool spot as it is like a
                              transplanted ME lobster town in layout and appearance.. not a bad
                              place to live methinks..

                              Wilmington being a larger town will likely have sufficient marinas
                              and space, but is a longer trip up the river from the ocean..

                              Obviously you can get info on most spots from skipper bobs and the
                              appropriate cruising guide..

                              ian

                              S38/II Tuscan Sun
                              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, bruceheyman@... wrote:

                              > I have an opportunity to relocate to Wilmington NC. Any input on
                              sailing? Yacht Clubs? Marinas?
                              > Thanks!
                              > Bruce
                              > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                            • eburke73
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 25 5:55 AM
                                Bruce,

                                We stayed in the Marina at St. James Plantation a number of years
                                ago. It was new and very nice, with floating docks and very
                                protected. Opens right onto the ICW south of Southport. If you like
                                gated communities and golf courses this is your place. A bit too fancy
                                for us to live in, but the marina was great. It's about a 5 mile drive
                                from Southport as I recall.

                                Ed Burke
                                SV Merlin
                                recovering Sabre owner
                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 2, 2008
                                   I just cracked the plastic body of my Wilcox head by over tighting the nut that is around the pump handle . it was leaking so i got a wrench and POW it cranked !   I really mad at my dumb self.
                                   I'm looking to replace the whole head  not necessarily with a Wilcox.   So you 28 Sabre owners what type have you switched to ???
                                   I've had Wilcox heads  4 for the last 30 years !  A change is do for a different kind.. Thank you  .    Lee/ Tarpon Springs  FL

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 2, 2008
                                    If it will fit, a Raritan PHII

                                    Dave

                                  • bluenosebob@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 2, 2008

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 2, 2008
                                            is it pretty easy to do the switch ?  I'm sure hoses will be short...  I'll order one today !!  thanks   LEE

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Oct 2, 2008
                                              Barely but perfect fit on my 1977 S28.  So close that I have to leave the pump handle up to leave V berth door open.  Not a problem.  Bob

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Oct 2, 2008
                                                Bob , I took my V berth door off the boat it was a pain opening and closing 2 doors in 3 feet !!   Bob was it compact model II or PH  II  manual >>   T handle or long handle ???   thanks   LEE Thu, 10/2/08, bluenosebob@... <bluenosebob@...> wrote:
                                                From: bluenosebob@... <bluenosebob@...>
                                                To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
                                                Date: Thursday, October 2, 2008, 2:49 PM

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Oct 2, 2008
                                                  The model is PHII manuel with the long handle which gives you a lot of waste movement per stroke.  Bob

                                                  Bob , I took my V berth door off the boat it was a pain opening and closing 2 doors in 3 feet !!   Bob was it compact model II or PH  II  manual >>   T handle or long handle ???   thanks   LEE Thu, 10/2/08, bluenosebob@ aol.com <bluenosebob@ aol.com> wrote:
                                                  From: bluenosebob@ aol.com <bluenosebob@ aol.com>
                                                  To: Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com
                                                  Date: Thursday, October 2, 2008, 2:49 PM

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Oct 2, 2008
                                                    That head is almost  $ 400   !  Are you sure it has to be be that high times are tight !!! Any other ideas ?   Lee/ fla S-28

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Oct 2, 2008
                                                      > If it will fit, a Raritan PHII

                                                      Or a PHC--which is the same pump as the PH II, but on a compact base and
                                                      has a shorter handle--if the PH II is too big.

                                                      The PHC can be hard to find...Defender has it.

                                                      --
                                                      Peggie
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Oct 2, 2008
                                                        Lee,

                                                        Where you shopping? WM??  Check Defender and google it. I'm thinking a price in the neighborhood of 250 would be about right.

                                                        Dave

                                                        On Oct 2, 2008, at 5:20 PM, jack horner wrote:

                                                        Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips and calculators.

                                                      • bluenosebob@aol.com
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Oct 2, 2008
                                                          Try Defender and Boatfix.com.  Bob