Arghhhurricanes and storm madness

  • Bill Blalock
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 5 6:17 AM
      Arghhh, my Virginia marina has hurricane madness and it's costing me $$$$$.  They called to say they were implementing their hurricane plan and stripping all boats of canvas and charging the owners to do so.  #*^!.  I checked the winds yesterday and today, the forecast is for 27 steady, gusts into the 30s, maybe 40.  It irritates me to no end that they are implementing a hurricane plan when there is no hurricane, boarding my boat and screwing with my canvas, and charging me for it.  Arghhhh!   I looked at the situation yesterday and decided the boat was fine as is.  I asked them to please leave it alone since there is no hurricane, and they said the NWS and NOAA don't know what they're talking about.  Arghhh!

      The good news is that the Atlantic is covered in storms, and I'm on the 2:20 flight out of Dulles to Florida to go surf these bad boys.  Woooooooooo!  Florida born and raised and surfing for 33 years, I love hurricanes, period.  I know, I know, but I do.  Yes, they're a threat to the boat, but I still live for them.

      Bill B, S38mk1 #88 SURFER GIRL

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 5 7:09 AM
          In Florida I've always lived a little inland on a high piece of land, and put up with the inconvience of having the boat in a great hurricane hole.  My priorities are to surf, not have to evacuate, and relax and enjoy one of the most spectacular shows on earth.
          Bill B

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 5 7:16 AM
            Some hurricane photos

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 5 7:49 AM
              Bill -
              Isabel was a wake up call on the Chesapeake.  Nominally it was a run of the mill tropical storm, but it wiped out quite a few docks at your marina. Storm tracks get really unpredictable when they hit land, and in a estuary, open at one end and closed at the other, with lots of creeks and rivers, wind and tide can combine with a fairly minor storm surge to do some serious damage, way out of proportion to the the predicted or actual storm strength.
              I'm heading over to the marina this evening to check & double up lines and button up well.
              Pete

              On 9/5/08, Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@...> wrote:

              Some hurricane photos

[...]

            • Grant Woodside
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 5 8:00 AM
                Pete,

                Any suggestions on tying lines in addition to double up. Tie them high, loose, tight...? Tie lines to poles between slips? Bow or stern to the sea wall? ...?

                Going at 2PM.

                Grant

                Isabel was a wake up call on the Chesapeake.  Nominally it was a run of the mill tropical storm, but it wiped out quite a few docks at your marina. Storm tracks get really unpredictable when they hit land, and in a estuary, open at one end and closed at the other, with lots of creeks and rivers, wind and tide can combine with a fairly minor storm surge to do some serious damage, way out of proportion to the the predicted or actual storm strength.
                I'm heading over to the marina this evening to check & double up lines and button up well.
                Pete

                On 9/5/08, Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@ gmail.com> wrote:
                Some hurricane photos

                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 5 9:08 AM
                    Pete:

                    The damage Isabel did at Herrington Harbour North was amazing. I
                    was glad (and it was pure luck) Spirit was on the hard for that
                    one. It will be interesting to see if their recent breakwater
                    addition protects the creek this time.

                    I'm heading down to Hartge's in just a few minutes. I'll swing by
                    and see if you are there.

                    Eric
                    Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                    West River, MD

                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Tollini" <pete@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Bill -
                    > Isabel was a wake up call on the Chesapeake. Nominally it was a
                    run of the
                    > mill tropical storm, but it wiped out quite a few docks at your
                    marina.
                    > Storm tracks get really unpredictable when they hit land, and in a
                    estuary,
                    > open at one end and closed at the other, with lots of creeks and
                    rivers,
                    > wind and tide can combine with a fairly minor storm surge to do
                    some serious
                    > damage, way out of proportion to the the predicted or actual storm
                    strength.
                    > I'm heading over to the marina this evening to check & double up
                    lines and
                    > button up well.
                    > Pete
                    >
                    > On 9/5/08, Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Some hurricane photos
                    > >
                    > > On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 9:47 AM, jack horner
                    <captbluwater@...>wrote:

                    > >> Yeah Florida hurricanes ! just got done putting all the
                    canvas back
                    > >> on after stripping it from the last storm !! But I would
                    rather do that
                    > >> than be HIT !! Florida is just like that . and here comes IKE
                    coming to the
                    > >> west coast of fla thru Miami . But I'm in Tampa but most likely
                    will leave
                    > >> for like Jacksonville Fl after I put up the storm shutters .
                    I'm 325 feet
                    > >> from water !!!! And 16 feet high so I'm out of here. cause
                    the city cuts
                    > >> water and power !! So Holiday Inn here I come !!!!! LEE/ FLA

                  • Bill Blalock

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 5 9:24 AM
                        Grant -

                        Long lines, crossed, so you can rise and fall
                        Spring lines, fore & aft both sides
                        Fenders near pilings
                        Safety line or tie around RF jib
                        Tie a line around the mainsail cover
                        Remove canvas from dodger & bimini - you'll get a bigger shot of easterly wind wher you are
                        Make sure docklines can't ride up over short pilings
                        Look at the boats near you - look for weak or loose lines, RF jib that may get loose, etc.  They can ruin your day, no matter how well you've prepared.  Let the office know if you don't like what you see.

                        Pete

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 5 9:47 AM
                          Bill

                          think of this a practice run by the marina. You may not need or wish to pay for it, but the marina is probably testing thier procedures. Better not to need it and allow them to square away any issues than find out the hard way they had knicks in the system when a dozy comes through next week (eg ike).

                          I strip my boat of everything as windage is critical when the wind gets over 70.
                          We lash the wheel to both sides to take the load off the wheel brake.

                          I also take photos of the stripped/prepped boat, and the lines/prep of all my neighbors.
                          If they break loose, I want proof they did not maintain their lines.

                          But that can wait. We are still racing tomorrow on Salem Sound, as the main part of the storm will not hit until later tomorrow evening.
                          Free beer, chowda, and sandwiches for any of you who wish to race, along with a party that night. contact me if you are interested.

                          john
                          60 miles inland and 500 ft above town.

[...]

                        • Jeff Bartlett
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 5 10:53 AM
                            Isabel is the reason I have a Sabre.

                            My Oday 23 was on C dock at HHN when Isabel came up the bay.  The majority of damage to my boat was caused, in my opinion, by old pilings being pulled out of the bottom by too tight doubled up docklines, and allowing the Hunter in the next slip to crash onto the hull of my boat.

                            When Isabel left, my boat was on the other side of what was left of the dock.

                            Jeff B
                            S28-546

                            To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
                            From: sabre30_36@...
                            Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 16:08:47 +0000
                            Subject: [SabreSailboat] Re: Arghhhurricanes and storm madness

                            wrote:

                            > Bill -
                            > Isabel was a wake up call on the Chesapeake. Nominally it was a
                            run of the
                            > mill tropical storm, but it wiped out quite a few docks at your
                            marina.
                            > Storm tracks get really unpredictable when they hit land, and in a
                            estuary,
                            > open at one end and closed at the other, with lots of creeks and
                            rivers,
                            > wind and tide can combine with a fairly minor storm surge to do
                            some serious
                            > damage, way out of proportion to the the predicted or actual storm
                            strength.
                            > I'm heading over to the marina this evening to check & double up
                            lines and
                            > button up well.
                            > Pete
                            >
                            > On 9/5/08, Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@ ...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Some hurricane photos
                            > >
                            > > On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 9:47 AM, jack horner
                            <captbluwater@ ...>wrote:

                            > >> Yeah Florida hurricanes ! just got done putting all the
                            canvas back
                            > >> on after stripping it from the last storm !! But I would
                            rather do that
                            > >> than be HIT !! Florida is just like that . and here comes IKE
                            coming to the
                            > >> west coast of fla thru Miami . But I'm in Tampa but most likely
                            will leave
                            > >> for like Jacksonville Fl after I put up the storm shutters .
                            I'm 325 feet
                            > >> from water !!!! And 16 feet high so I'm out of here. cause
                            the city cuts
                            > >> water and power !! So Holiday Inn here I come !!!!! LEE/ FLA

                          • Rose
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 6 10:06 AM
                              We're in North Carolina, about 50 miles from where Jim Cantore has
                              been broadcasting all last night. We got the wind from Hanna - and
                              are still getting it right now - but the main body of the storm was
                              west of us. Still - our boat was floating high an hour ago, and now
                              it's on the bottom, the water went back out into the Sound so fast.
                              We're now out loosening lines so we don't pull cleats loose.

                              We took off all our canvas and the jib, double lined as much as we
                              could on Thursday and then just sat back and waited. We were hoping
                              for not too much surge (with Isabel we watched our boat rise
                              completely above the pilings, then go back to the bottom within a
                              half hour after she went by). We were lucky this time; the water
                              didn't come too far up into our yard, so the dock didn't even go
                              under water.

                              We believe in prepare, prepare, prepare and then sit back with our
                              fingers crossed. The after the storm passes, we go out and check
                              the boats that were not prepared. After Isabel, there was a 30 ft
                              powerboat in the middle of the 9th hole of our golf course. The
                              owner thought a single anchor was going to hold it in the protection
                              of our inner harbor. And we've seen jibs be torn to shreds in the
                              space of a few minutes. Better be safe than sorry.

                              Hope y'all up in the Chesapeake fare as well as we did with Hanna -
                              good luck!!

                              Rose Litke
                              Wind Dancer
                              S34 MK1

                              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Bartlett <jhbartlett@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Isabel is the reason I have a Sabre.
                              >
                              > My Oday 23 was on C dock at HHN when Isabel came up the bay. The
                              majority of damage to my boat was caused, in my opinion, by old
                              pilings being pulled out of the bottom by too tight doubled up
                              docklines, and allowing the Hunter in the next slip to crash onto
                              the hull of my boat.

                              > When Isabel left, my boat was on the other side of what was left
                              of the dock.

                              > Jeff B
                              > S28-546
                              >

                              > To: Sabresailboat@...: sabre30_36@...: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 16:08:47
                              +0000Subject: [SabreSailboat] Re: Arghhhurricanes and storm madness

                              AM, jack horner <captbluwater@>wrote:> >> >> Yeah Florida
                              Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@>* wrote:> >>> >> From: Bill Blalock
                              <mookiesurfs@>> >> Subject: [SabreSailboat] Arghhhurricanes and
                              storm madness> >> To: sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com> >> Date:
                              Friday, September 5, 2008, 9:17 AM> >>> >> Arghhh, my Virginia

                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 7 3:35 AM

                                At our marina in Galesville (10 mi S of Annapolis), as of 6:00 last night I didn’t see any damage. The water was up to the bottom of the dock (@ 2’-3’ above normal) and a tree had knocked out power. By then the storm was headed for Boston, the sky was clearing and we had 25-30 out of the North.  The storm center stayed east of us and it was moving fast, so we got a break on wind speeds.  Hope everyone else did or is doing well.

                                Pete

                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 7 4:51 AM
                                  Zip in the NE.
                                  We held our regatta with plans for abandoning our 2nd race.
                                  About half the boats entered did not show up.

                                  Most of us racing were running short handed as wives were not letting hubby come out and play.
                                  Started with no wind and an hour post ponement.
                                  Everyone was on edge as we expected the calm conditions to degenerate in a NY minute.
                                  Then wind, no wind. rain, sunshine, low clouds. Everything but an eclipse.

                                  On the last circuit of the course, the fog hit with vengence in less then 2 minutes.
                                  Both marks were portables, so chartplotters were useless, and most of us forgot to hit the mob mark, so we struggled the old fashion way with compass and logmeter.

                                  Non event in NE which is fine by me.