New Sail Issues

  • rfeirste
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2008
      We purchased a new main sail for our S32 from The Sail Warehouse. They
      actually have them pre-made to fit the S32. Since our sail ripped in
      half on the fist day of its use this spring this helped us get back
      into the water quick.

      But the sail came with no instructions, just the sail and 4 loose
      battens and a sail bag.

      When we and others at our marina could not figure out how to install
      the battens (one fell out and was lost, another's rope tangled with
      another line, etc), I called The Sail Warehouse.

      The fine folks at The Sail Warehouse informed me that they give no
      instructions or assistance because they feel that anyone who orders a
      sail should know how to install the item. They also refussed to sell me
      a replacement batten and referred me to West Marine, of all places.

      Just to let you know that not all companies bend over backwards to
      please their customers.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2008
          Although West Marine may not always have rational pricing on many
          items, its staff has always been very helpful and friendly. On the
          other hand, The Sail Warehouse phone staff were not very helpful or
          friendly when we had questions before we placed the order and remain
          less than helpful after we placed the order. I didn't ask for a free
          batten to replace the one lost to the wind, but merely wanted to
          purchase a replacement and was told they had no interest in helping me.
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2008
            what is that saying about the taste of poor quality is remembered long after the initial savings are long forgotten?

            Actually, never had a sail come with instructions. But I always unfold the unit in the loft and go over it with the sailmaker before I accept it. I look to ensure all the options I spec'd are there and we go over anything new I have never seen before (eg new leechline locks etc).

            Now you know why we stress find a good sailmaker and pay the man. In the long run you will be more happy.  Check creditials.  Head over to a marina or post-regatta party and ask about the person.  For the price of a beer, you can save thousands in heart ache.

            There is no such thing as premade s-32 sails. Sabre only made 85 boats. Heck Doyle makes them 1 at a time and they are biggest sailmaker in the world. You got a generic sail someone stitched up the sides to fit.  how likely is it they got the load patterns correct?
            And likely does not have one of the new generations of sailcloth (DP or Contender) that really last,nor features like draft stripes, high performace slugs etc..

            There are several methods to secure battens. Some require specific tools and/or techniques.  Send a photo and we will do our best to help you out.

            Take one of your other battens out. And measure the length of the pocket for the batten you lost. Then go to a quality sailmaker and ask to purchase a batten like the one in your hand with a length of your pocket + 4". You can fit and cut it to size on the boat with a hack saw blade.

            Dealing with 1 sailmaker will allow you to establish a relationship.  When I blew my genny up in the middle of the season, they made me a new one in 2 weeks. They made room for me in their schedule because I do all my business with them.

            Sorry you got screwed, but hopefully it will help to educater others
            here.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2008
              may want to check if they have email to the owner.
              Could be an employee is having a bad day.