Re: [SabreSailboat] Cockpit Seacock Maintenace

  • Carter Brey
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1 12:08 AM
      Mike,

      I assume you're talking about the cockpit scupper seacocks.

      I have a 28, which must have even less room manoeuvring room than your 34. But it can be done.

      My technique is to lower myself slowly into the lazarette (after having removed any obstacles stored down there such as fuel jerry cans and mothers-in-law), steering my legs in the direction opposite to the seacock in question. I end up lying on my side facing the seacock, my feet over on the other side of the lazarette. In this lateral decubitus position I find I actually have a good range of motion for work.

      Be sure to put all the tools you think you may possibly need in a bag and bring it with you. And John's advice to bring a rag to spread underneath to catch errant fasteners is good.

      Oh-- don't forget your dogeared copy of the Profanosaurus. And your cell phone. And tie the lazarette hatch open with small stuff.

      Use the backstay to haul yourself up afterward. You may find you need to exit in stages, rotating your body 90 degrees as you emerge from your shadowy chrysalis.

      Best regards,
      Carter Brey
      S28 MkII #532 "Delphine"
      City Island, NY

      On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 21:58 -0700, Michael Sims wrote:
        I know that someone in this group has had the same problem that I am having now, I have a 1986 Sabre Mk II, 34 foot, The port side seacock apparently has had little maintenance performed on it by the POs. I was trying to clean it today, but I couldn't even reach the back of it to remove the nut. The seacock handle, I couldn't move because it was stuck. This subject seacock is between the steering housing compartment, the CNG locker and the fuel tank bulkhead. Has anyone found a easier way to remove this nut to clean this seacock. I was considering cutting an inspection hole in the bulkhead wall ( on the other side of the seacock) in the port deep cockpit locker to access the back of this seacock and to remove this nut. This inspection hole however would still be 12 inches away from the seacock. I can;t place this inspection hole any closer because of the fuel tank location   Any suggestions?   Mike Altomar II 86 sabre MKII

    • Warren Kaplan
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1 5:48 AM
        The only thing Carter left out was the Advil!!! Take three before
        undertaking this attempt to assume the physiognomy of a pretzel and
        then take a handful after you negotiate extracating yourself from the
        bowels of your boat!! Wash both doses down with single malt. Take an
        extra swig or two just to make sure!!

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 1 6:05 AM
          Being tall, I find it easier to work from above.

          1. pull the wheel.
          2. get a 3/4" excersice mat square or some really good cardboard to kneel on.

> [...]

          > > was trying to clean it today, but I couldn't even reach the back
          of it
          > > to remove the nut. The seacock handle, I couldn't move because it
          was
          > > stuck. This subject seacock is between the steering housing
          > > compartment, the CNG locker and the fuel tank bulkhead. Has anyone
          > > found a easier way to remove this nut to clean this seacock. I was
          > > considering cutting an inspection hole in the bulkhead wall ( on
          the
          > > other side of the seacock) in the port deep cockpit locker to
          access
          > > the back of this seacock and to remove this nut. This inspection
          hole
          > > however would still be 12 inches away from the seacock. I can;t
          place
          > > this inspection hole any closer because of the fuel tank location

        • Gib Metcalf
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 1 6:23 AM
            removing the box over the steering system frees up some additional room, though - like Carter - I've eased myself into this small space (another S 28) with the box in place.  But I always have a slight fear that I won't be able to get myself out.  Thus the cell phone within reach is an essential tool!
            Gib

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 1 7:15 AM

              Mike –

              If the 34 MkII is similar to the 30 Mk III, you can clean out the port sail locker and then remove the engine access panel. At that point the other panel can come out by removing 3-4 Phillips wood screws.  That greatly simplified the task for me.

              Pete

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 1 10:18 PM
                Thanks for those great answers to my question concerning the struck seacock. And some of the answers were riots!

                Well, I did resolve my problem for this year. The boat was on the hard during this maintenance issue. I sprayed the seacock with liquor wrench from the top and up the thru-hole from the outside. I then used a 1&1/4 inch by 24 inch long black steel pipe, placing it over the seacock handle. This 18 inch pipe gave me enough leverage to move the corroded seacock. I was then able to move the handle of the seacock, working it back and forth easily. This also allow me to work the handle without crawling inside the locker. That I realized could literally be painful.

                I was still not able to reach down enough to remove the nut on the back of the seacock. I was just happy that it was now moving freely. I will put off the disassembling it till next year. I will definitely look into seeing if I can remove any of the panels behind the engine. Thanks for that idea, Pete.

                Thanks, Everyone,
                Mike -
                Altomar II

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 2 3:49 AM

                    put a zip tie on the handle in the closed position.
                    Keep the rest of the bag somewhere else on the boat.
                    If you want, you can call the harbormaster. Peter seems like a really nice guy.

                    And as an aside, they are allowing winter storage near the harbormaster bldg.
                    This is year is trailer only, but they are talking about boats on stands next year if this works out.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 2 5:17 AM
                        Y handle.

                        You wrap over the top of the handle and around the hose that shows it is closed.

                        A friend pointed out that Salem Sound (among other areas) has just been designated a No Discharge Area and that I'm supposed to "secure" the seacock in a closed position.  The rules seem unclear to me.  I have a Y valve coming off the holding tank allowing the tank to be emptied at a pump-out or at sea with a macerator pump.  I always leave the Y valve in the pump-out setting unless actually dumping (beyond the 3 mile limit).  So am I supposed to secure the handle?  Maybe I should be securing the Y-valve handle?

                        What do other folks do with Type III systems in NDAs?
                        Gib

                        Michael Sims wrote:

                        Pete

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 2 1:33 PM
                          great. thanks.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 2 9:18 PM

                            With that box in place, I was under there to replace one of the scuppers.  Attempting to get out, my knee got stuck fast on the wood, couldn’t move in any direction, and I was in a position where I had to move my knee to wriggle out through the opening.  I really strained my lower back against the rear of the locker hatch, and I was just stuck fast.  Thought I would be there forever, but was able to relax enough and shrink down just enough to release the friction on the knee and finally, after about 15 minutes of sheer fright, was able to free myself.  Fortunately, with a bit of care, I avoided that ugly position on later trips down there.  It is not one of my favorite parts of the boat!

                            I decided against removing the box over the steering both for fear of damaging something down there and for fear of getting hung up on something.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 3 3:02 AM
                              Sid

                              Had my foot jammed in there before, but not to the level of dis-consternation you felt.
                              good to have a helper nearby to shag tools you may have forgotten, help you extricate yourself, and to commiserate the pain working back there can be.

                              removing the steering quadrant box is no big deal if:
                              1. you mark where the the box intersects the hull insides
                              2. Use a cordless drill with a screwdriver attachment to make removing/installing the screws easier. Just be careful not to over tighten the screws.

                              Pulling the box opens up a lot more room and gives you a chance to adjust and grease the rudder/quadrant assembly.

                              If one does this, I highly suggest one at a minimum wash down the area with hot soapy water and if time permits slap a coat of Bimini blue in there to make it look like it just left the factory.   It also makes it easier to see what is stored in those recesses.

                              A perfect example of the "might as well"s

                              Warren Kaplan wrote:
> [...]

                              > > was trying to clean it today, but I couldn't even reach the back
                              of it
                              > > to remove the nut. The seacock handle, I couldn't move because it
                              was
                              > > stuck. This subject seacock is between the steering housing
                              > > compartment, the CNG locker and the fuel tank bulkhead. Has anyone
                              > > found a easier way to remove this nut to clean this seacock. I was
                              > > considering cutting an inspection hole in the bulkhead wall ( on
                              the
                              > > other side of the seacock) in the port deep cockpit locker to
                              access
                              > > the back of this seacock and to remove this nut. This inspection
                              hole
                              > > however would still be 12 inches away from the seacock. I can;t
                              place
                              > > this inspection hole any closer because of the fuel tank location

                            • Antonio Pensa
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 3 9:47 AM
                                In Narragansett Bay it is the Y valve that needs to be secured in the
                                position that puts waste in the tank and not in the line to the
                                discharge seacock.

                                Tony
                                Tashtege S30

                              • sid wax
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 5 5:23 AM
                                  Advil before is actually good advice! My left elbow (I'm left-handed)
                                  is still strained 4 weeks after the event. As skiers know, a bit of
                                  Advil in advance can help keep you loose and reduce inflammmation
                                  before it starts. It is not unlikely, when you make a pretzel out of
                                  yourself like that, that one of the twists won't untwist that
                                  smoothly.
                                  Also, I would not recommend that anyone over 180 lb or 5'10" attempt
                                  the feat, unless you are extremely limber.

                                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Warren Kaplan"
                                  <setsail728@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  it
                                  > was
                                  > > > stuck. This subject seacock is between the steering housing
                                  > > > compartment, the CNG locker and the fuel tank bulkhead. Has
                                  anyone
                                  > > > found a easier way to remove this nut to clean this seacock. I
                                  was
                                  > > > considering cutting an inspection hole in the bulkhead wall (
                                  on
                                  > the
                                  > > > other side of the seacock) in the port deep cockpit locker to
                                  > access
                                  > > > the back of this seacock and to remove this nut. This
                                  inspection
                                  > hole
                                  > > > however would still be 12 inches away from the seacock. I can;t
                                  > place
                                  > > > this inspection hole any closer because of the fuel tank

                                • Charles Sidwa
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 5 6:28 AM
                                    I recruited my 14 year old daughter a few days ago to help me snake wires from my GPS antena mounted on my aft rail to the pedestal.  I rewarded her with a new pair of sneakers and some clothes for school.  She loved that deal and it warmed my heart to see her working with a ratchet wrench coming up with grease on her elbows.  I will have to keep her in mechanic training as I'm 6'2 and 225lbs.  If it really gets tight I have a stringbean of a 12 year old available too!

                                    Charlie

                                    <setsail728@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                                    it
                                    > was
                                    > > > stuck. This subject seacock is between the steering housing
                                    > > > compartment, the CNG locker and the fuel tank bulkhead. Has
                                    anyone
                                    > > > found a easier way to remove this nut to clean this seacock. I
                                    was
                                    > > > considering cutting an inspection hole in the bulkhead wall (
                                    on
                                    > the
                                    > > > other side of the seacock) in the port deep cockpit locker to
                                    > access
                                    > > > the back of this seacock and to remove this nut. This
                                    inspection
                                    > hole
                                    > > > however would still be 12 inches away from the seacock. I can;t
                                    > place
                                    > > > this inspection hole any closer because of the fuel tank

                                  • Bill Blalock
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 5 6:41 AM
                                      My seven year old boy gets Legos for a day of boatwork.  I've worked hard to make sure he enjoys it, so he loves to go to the boat.  Standard arrangement, enjoys bottom paint, swimming pools, and ratchets.  He'll recite the terms and clauses for Legos without a miss.  My 11 year old boy likes to drive.  The 14 year olds like to make sandwiches, fish and crab.  I get about 1/10th the work or sailing done, which I have come to realize is as it should be.
                                      Bill B