Re: S- 28 leaky windows

  • sid wax
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
      Not a good idea to do any sealing from the inside, or, if the outside
      seal fails, you get water trapped in there. Better to do all the
      sealing on the outside.

      I had a guy replace gutters on my house, and when he had put them up,
      water was leaking down behind them. I asked that he caulk the
      gutters. He did, and water no longer dripped down the side of the
      house. Whe I noticed the fascia boards rotting a few years later, I
      realized he had caulked it from the bottom.

      If your seal on the outside is not good enough, it is not good enough.

      Sid
      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, jack horner <captbluwater@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks , Its hard to say with out pulling how this will go ..
      >  But here is my concept.  remove the frame and window.   Seal the
      space between the liner
      >  and hull with resin and micro balloons in a paste !
      > remove the old lens from the frame.   run a bead of buytal ( gutter
      calk ) inside the frame and push the new glass into it . wipe off
      excess, repeat for the other side... seal the frame to the hull with
      buytal and inside too. Clean up with Mineral Spirits.
      > All ideas and concepts welcome...   Thanks  LEE

      difficulty. Seals. Those are not
      > too easy to find. I did however see notes on the Sabre site with
      installation information and
      > procedures.  I have some photos and was planning to post a
      procedure.

      > I'll dig around and see what I have handy.
      >
      > F Adams
      > Former S28 "Serenity"

      feel comfortable with this project
      > I found a local plastic guy who will  cut and sell me the plastic.
      >  Any ideas from owners who have done this project , your ideas and
      comments are most welcome..
      >  If the rain does not stop this may be a fall project..   No rain
      here in fall !
      >  Two of the four main salon  widows leak to the shelf below !!   I
      like a dry boat !!!!
      >   Fair  Winds  ,    Lee

    • Dave Evans
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 2008
        A second for Todd D.
        Known him for many years; met him in SW Harbor a few cruises ago.
        Here's his model of our 34-II and the original:
        http://www.sailonset.com/DSCN0560x750.jpg
        dge

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Tollini" <pete@...>

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 22 6:20 AM
          Catalina Direct has the window frame molding and  the inner u shaped track molding. All the same as the Catalina 25 windows.  Buytal  is the recommenced sealer  others will work too.  I used Gutter caulk from the depot !  I have a 81 saber 28 #515. Did all nw window glass replacement last season. OH the 5200 goo
          remover is great works in 30 min.  Windows fall out !!! LEE/  fla