Sailing Magazine - August Issue - S38

  • Diane
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17 2:13 PM
      Great article in August's issue of 'Sailing' - Used Boat Notebook - the
      Sabre 38! I can't find a link on line but it's on pages 38 and 39 of
      the new issue, written by John Kretschmer. Having just returned from 9
      days on our new-to-us S38Mk1, we have to agree with just about
      everything in this great review!

      Diane
      Merlin/Ches. Bay
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17 2:33 PM
        Diane,

        Back in July 2003 Kretschmer reviewed the Sabre 34 and interviewed one of our list members, Dick Coerse (Early Light). Kretschmer writes good reviews. I read a number of them. They're not only useful for information about a particular boat model, but they're instructive in what they tell you about the history of sailboat design and construction.

        The review will probably be online later. Got to give the paying subscribers first opportunity to read the magazine.

        Dave

        On Jul 17, 2008, at 5:13 PM, Diane wrote:

        Great article in August's issue of 'Sailing' - Used Boat Notebook - the
        Sabre 38! I can't find a link on line but it's on pages 38 and 39 of
        the new issue, written by John Kretschmer. Having just returned from 9
        days on our new-to-us S38Mk1, we have to agree with just about
        everything in this great review!

        Diane
        Merlin/Ches. Bay

      • workshoe99
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 17 9:52 PM
          Here is the link given as the current review -
          http://sailingmagazine.net/ubn_0608.html but obviously the Sabre
          review has been put out subsequent to this one. Anyways, anyone
          wishing to see the S38 review should be able to see it here next
          month. I will definitely be looking.

          Thanks Diane for posting about this. Glad you had a good cruise on Merlin.

          Jan S38 MK I #41 Capriccio

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Lochner <davelochner@...>
          wrote:

          > Diane,
          >
          > Back in July 2003 Kretschmer reviewed the Sabre 34 and interviewed one
          > of our list members, Dick Coerse (Early Light). Kretschmer writes good
          > reviews. I read a number of them. They're not only useful for
          > information about a particular boat model, but they're instructive in
          > what they tell you about the history of sailboat design and
          > construction.
          >
          > The review will probably be online later. Got to give the paying
          > subscribers first opportunity to read the magazine.
          >
          > Dave
          >

          > On Jul 17, 2008, at 5:13 PM, Diane wrote:
          >
          > > Great article in August's issue of 'Sailing' - Used Boat Notebook -
          > > the
          > > Sabre 38! I can't find a link on line but it's on pages 38 and 39 of
          > > the new issue, written by John Kretschmer. Having just returned from 9
          > > days on our new-to-us S38Mk1, we have to agree with just about
          > > everything in this great review!
          > >
          > > Diane
          > > Merlin/Ches. Bay

        • workshoe99
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 19 9:31 AM
            Much thanks to Diane for sending me the article off thread. It is a
            great review of the S38, however, John gets things garbled a bit when
            he skips back and forth between the Mark I's and II's. He states the
            Mark II has the chartable on the port side. Not so. He says the engine
            is three cylinders. Not so. He is not clear as to where the head is
            located on the Mark I's stating both models have good sized V-berths.
            The Mark I V-berth is a little smaller due to the forward head
            arrangement. He also makes no mention of the aft-cabin models.

            Overall, it was great fun to see in print the many wonderful qualities
            and attributes the Admiral and I cherish about our S38. We stumbled
            onto this boat during our boatsearch and really lucked out. We fell in
            love with it immediately and quit searching it was so perfect.

            He ends the article by saying that this should be your last boat!
            Well, time will tell on that one.

            Jan