Re: Lewmar winch

  • mystic_camera
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hi,

      while the design and major components of winches are indeed different,
      the only piece that is usually replaced (if at all) is the little
      spring that hold the pawl in place.. these have not changed in lewmar
      winches for seemingly forever... i may be wrong, but with an 80's boat
      you should have the same springs and pawls as in current models.

      If this is the case and if you have not serviced winches before, you
      can buy a lewmar kit that has grease, spare springs and pawls. This is
      around $25 at west marine so procey but it also contains a booklet
      explaining the breakdown of single speed, self tailing and two speed
      self tailing winches (in increasing complexity) so may be of value for
      the book alone.

      ian

      S38/II Tuscan Sun

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, jay4868@... wrote:

      > I need to service my Lewmar winches but cant seem to find a
      maintenance kit for the model I have.  Does anyone have experience in
      servicing the Lewmar England 48 winch??

      > Joe M
      > Ceapach S38M1

    • Marc
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
        Just to add a few additions to these good comments from Tuscan Sun:

        -A 'parts cleaner' solvent can (1 gal or so) with basket is very
        handy: they are available at most auto parts stores
        -Lots of 'Q' tip swabs should be on-hand
        -I place a cut-out cardboard section at the base of each winch
        before starting. This catches the inevitible dropped parts and also
        protects surfaces from grease and oil drops
        -The stiff application brush that comes with the Lewmar kit works
        great for adding a light coating of winch-grease to cleaned parts
        -You should have several spare pawl springs available, as they tend
        fly out of hand very easily
        -It takes me about 45 min to clean and service each Lewmar 48 winch,
        and about 30 min for smaller winches
        -Collinite Metal Cleaner-Wax does a great job of cleaning and
        protecting exterior winch surfaces after servicing

        Good luck.... Marc

        'Startgazer' S36 #30, 1986, Portsmouth, RI

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "mystic_camera"

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
          Good stuff. Two more additions. Synthetic gun oil, available at sporting goods stores or WalMart, is the best stuff for winch pawls that I have found. It's thin, it lasts and it repels water. Harken and Lewmar both supply good grease for the rest of the parts, but if you have some Castrol purple synthetic grease handy (it used to be a Drydene product), it doesn't harden,and is salt-water proof. If you don't have the official Lewmar brush, flux brushes (little metal tube handle w/stiff 3/4" bristles) from the plumbing area at the hardware store are $0.50 apiece and do great for scrubbing in the solvent and brushing on the grease.
          Pete

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008

            I have found the grease PYI sells for their maxprop is the old barlow winch grease and works just fine too.

            I clean my parts with paper towels and use thinner when needed.  I have the garbage can next to me in the cockpit to toss them dirty one into (there is a plastic bad in the can).

            Get a piece of cardboard or better, a square of rubber for under a treadmill so that you can spend quality time on you knees without them rebelling.

            Be sure to check if any of your gears have plastic bushings. Many do, but are hard to see since the tolerances are so tight.  If one gets pinched, it makes assembly a bear and the unit will not spin like it should.

            While you have the winch apart, hit the combings under the mounts with a bit of thinner and then paint in a thin coat of cetol/varnish so that the wood is protected under the winch. Will reduce lifting of the finish later in the year.

            If you are going to refinish the wood, do it while you have the winch apart. Else all that sanding dust will surely go directly into the winch bearings.

            If someone is helping, keep an eye on them.  I had a "pro" make a mess of my cockpit antiskid because he moving too fast for his own good and dropping specks of grease all over the place.  Nowadays, I find it faster to just do it myself.

            I can do all 8 of my winches in about 2 hours, and that is in Feb when it is frick'n cold outside!!!!  When done, I put wrap in Saranwrap or put a  1 gallon ziplock bag over the top to keep the unit fresh until the season starts.  Amazing how much crud gets in there from the winter snow and spring rains.

            <mystic_camera@ ...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > while the design and major components of winches are indeed
            different,
            > the only piece that is usually replaced (if at all) is the little
            > spring that hold the pawl in place.. these have not changed in
            lewmar
            > winches for seemingly forever... i may be wrong, but with an 80's
            boat
            > you should have the same springs and pawls as in current models.
            >
            > If this is the case and if you have not serviced winches before,
            you
            > can buy a lewmar kit that has grease, spare springs and pawls.
            This is
            > around $25 at west marine so procey but it also contains a booklet
            > explaining the breakdown of single speed, self tailing and two
            speed
            > self tailing winches (in increasing complexity) so may be of value
            for
            > the book alone.
            >
            > ian
            >
            > S38/II Tuscan Sun
            >
            > --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, jay4868@ wrote:
            > >
            > > I need to service my Lewmar winches but cant seem to find a
            > maintenance kit for the model I have.  Does anyone have experience
            in
            > servicing the Lewmar England 48 winch??
            > >
            > > Joe M
            > > Ceapach S38M1

          • GREGORY THOMPSON
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 19, 2008
              Hey Joe,
              Check this out:
              http://www.c36ia.com/files/Lewmar%2048%20Winch%20Maintenance%20SJ%207-06.pdf

              I have another one that is even better if I can find it.

              Greg T.

              >>> <jay4868@...> 07/19/08 9:00 AM >>>
              I need to service my Lewmar winches but cant seem to find a maintenance kit for the model I have. Does anyone have experience in servicing the Lewmar England 48 winch??

              Joe M
              Ceapach S38M1
            • workshoe99
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 19, 2008
                Joe, Greg et al:

                Regarding the kits, I have a few on board left over from the PBO. I
                serviced my 48's and did not need any replacement parts- just clean
                and grease.

                Now a few comments from memory on winch servicing- (yes I said WINCH
                not WENCH so it is not going to be all that interesting- sorry.) In
                the well done set of service pics that Greg sent in, the maker does
                not talk about the pawls wanting to escape and do their own thing.
                They are spring loaded so taking them apart and going back together
                can be fun. Their are two of them which have to be dealt with at the
                same time which makes it even more fun. If I recall right, I used some
                grease to restrict their wanton movement.

                Also, our model 48's have a plastic ring with four allen wrench bolts
                which hold the stripper on ( I won't go into the alternative here of
                using a harness/jackline - whoops wrong definition for stripper) and
                are the first things to take off to begin the disassembly. Going back
                together, I did not get a good fit of the drum/gear mesh so these four
                bolts bound up so the plastic ring did not seat. I had to take it back
                off and lightly tap the drum while rotating it at the same time until
                it finally seated. On the first winch I did, I kept cranking the four
                bolts down until the drum suddenly seated with a bang! That's not the
                way to do it.

                Have fun servicing the WINCH!

                Jan S38 MkI Capriccio, La Paz, San Diego

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "GREGORY THOMPSON"